Hasegawa Kawanishi N1K2-J Shidenkai

56 minutes ago, Dunny said:

This is lovely work Dennis - looking forward to seeing progress. Had to laugh on presentation of the 'good' side - so true! Do you have  WIP on your Tempest?

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger thank you for the kind words, the Tempest is not started yet but I will be doing a build thread once I have, it's the PCM kit that I will be building followed by a PCM Spitfire IX and a fabric wing Hurricane, I always build in threes though not all at the same time.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not much in the way of modelling has been happening as I've been busy on outside jobs which need to be done while the weather is good, but I have been plodding away. First up was to get some paint on the undersides which was NMF on the real thing, I can't imagine that it was polished so I went for an aluminium colour, in the end after airbrushing some samples I settled for Xtracolor High Speed Silver (X038) and was pleased with the finish. It does not show up very well in the photos though.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up was some careful masking and making a handle on the undersides so I could hold and move the model while I was airbrushing it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

For the upperside colour I got in touch with Nick Millman who suggested DI Black Green would be the one to go for so I settled on Sovereign Colourcots ACJ01 Black Green which Nick reckoned was a good match for D1 when he reviewed the Colourcoats Japanese paints.

The result was a very dark green, but then again it is called Black Green, can't wait to strip off the masking to see what it looks like.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I did remember to paint the frames on the canopy but forgot to paint the cowling, never mind it won't take more than a couple of minutes

Cheer

Dennis

• Like 4

This is the stage when I am impatient to see some results, so it was off with the masks, just one small paint job to do. In the beginning I painted the fuselage sides white and applied the white bordered Hinomaru mask in it's entirety, so now I need to remove the red section of mask and airbrush the red, for this I take no chances and thoroughly mask everything off, for the red I used Sovereign Colourcoats ACJ20.

spacer.png

And then I ripped off all the tape and masks to reveal this, not a decal in sight, which is good as I am useless putting decals on but I will have to use them for the stencils, mind you I have bought some HGW Wet Transfers for my next build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am very pleased with the result, I've just got a couple of places to touch up and I can start adding all the bits and bobs, and the dreaded stencils

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 7:44 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Lovely result Dennis! That's some tidy masking work :)

Thank you Jamie, I was really pleased with the results.

Cheers

Dennis

It's been a while but it hasn't ended up in the bin or recycling, I'm getting to the stage were I want to start on something new so I am determined not to slack off on this one. So the next stage for me was the decals, I am not using very many on this one but most of them are tiny stencils which took a while to apply, as I do not have much luck with decals I looked around for something better that Micro Sol and Set and came up with Mr Mark Softener.

This did not seem to make much difference but eventually they were all on, however they are all white on the green parts and they really stood out, so I needed to damp them down a bit so I mixed up some thinned down Xtracolour exhaust and gave them a coating with my airbrush, this did the trick nicely.

While I had the mix in my airbrush I dirtied up the airframe a bit and added some exhaust stains, though these don't seem to show up very well.

Then I gave the topsides a coating of Xtracolor satin varnish, this was left to dry and then I assembled the undercarriage, this was a perfect fit and was easy to fit, some can be a bit fidley but this was fine.

The Hasegawa decal for the load checking label on the undercarriage leg differed from the one shown in the Aero Detail book which shows it as a red, yellow and blue striped marking, Hasegawa's has blue, red and blue stripes. I went with the Hasegawa one and made sure that it was fitted so it showed blue.

Then I stripped off the masks from the clear parts and was disappointed to see that the window aft of the cockpit had two specks of plastic stuck to it on the inside, not a lot I can do about that though.

The engine and cowling were then fitted, these also fitted well, the cowling was such a nice fit that I did not use any glue.

So this is were we are now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Oops, had a bit of catching up to do again Dennis... lovely result that, absolutely beautiful B) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thank you Stew, I must confess that I am really impressed with this kit, Hasegawa have done a fine job on it.

31 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Great-looking 'George' there, Dennis - always one of my favourite Japanese aircraft!

Regards,

Jason

Thank you Jason, I must confess that I did not know much about the subject when I started this build but I am most impressed with it's looks, I don't think that the photos show how powerful it looks.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Well in a fit of modelling it's finished, and I am very happy with the result, I think that the last three builds have made me learn new things and techniques. A big thank you to everyone who took the time to comment on the build as it progressed.

Here is a taster before I place it in RFI.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

She really is a beauty mate, excellent work B) 

What's your next 'victim' going to be? :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew, thanks for the kind words, I have a nice collection of PCM kits in the stash but have only ever built one of their kits, the Fiat G55 which was bit challenging but a great subject, I was pleased with the result but it was hard work.

So for the next trio of builds I'm going all RAF I have lined up three PCM kits to build next, first up to be mangled and tormented is the Hawker Tempest, I do have the SH Tempest but will build that at some other time.

I meant to build the PCM Tempest a few years ago but got sidetracked with an MDC Typhoon.

Following the Tempest will be a Hurricane and a Spitfire IX.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1