Best scale for small vessels?

Hi!

We are planning a few resin kits of smaller ships/workboats that are up to 30m LOA.  Puffer, VIC, Paddle Tug etc, but was wondering what peopled thoughts on scales would be.  I know 1/700th and 1/350th are 'the' ship scales, but I don't want a tiddly little thing.  I'm thinking of 1/144th maybe.  This makes a hull size that is a sensible size and can be cast easily in 1 piece.

Thoughts?

Gordon.

1/144 would seem to be a good choice from the point of view of model size, and hence cost.  There are few kits in 1/144, but I suspect you know them better than I do.  The most common kits of small craft are the Airfix 1/72 range of MTB etc which fits with the Revell 1/72 PT Boat, plus the Frog North Sea trawler, but your subjects would seem to be rather larger and an expensive proposition for 1/72.  The next scale down from 1/144 would seem to be 1/200, but I don't think subjects are common.

I suspect Revell in particular but perhaps other manufacturers have done tugboats of some kind.  Perhaps if you check what scale they used - I suspect they will not have been consistent.  What scale/size was the Frog Goodwin Sands lightship? Or the Revell Calypso?  Is there any great value in choosing a scale for consistency with other models as opposed to just doing what suits the subject in your eyes?

7 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

1/144 would seem to be a good choice from the point of view of model size, and hence cost.  There are few kits in 1/144, but I suspect you know them better than I do.  The most common kits of small craft are the Airfix 1/72 range of MTB etc which fits with the Revell 1/72 PT Boat, plus the Frog North Sea trawler, but your subjects would seem to be rather larger and an expensive proposition for 1/72.  The next scale down from 1/144 would seem to be 1/200, but I don't think subjects are common.

I suspect Revell in particular but perhaps other manufacturers have done tugboats of some kind.  Perhaps if you check what scale they used - I suspect they will not have been consistent.  What scale/size was the Frog Goodwin Sands lightship? Or the Revell Calypso?  Is there any great value in choosing a scale for consistency with other models as opposed to just doing what suits the subject in your eyes?

Yes, Revell are especially good at doing things to fit their boxing rather than any consistent scales.  1/200th is OK, but only done for battleships.  72nd would be OK, but at the upper end for the smaller boats and become too large for others.

Thanks!

G

• Like 1

Hi Gordon,

I would suggest a radio control boating scale such as 1/96 or 1/192 scale as being worth considering, for the reason that those scales offer a lot of the smaller fittings and accessories that you're likely to need once the relatively easy and enjoyable part of scratchbuilding hull and superstructure are taken care of. 

4 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Gordon,

I would suggest a radio control boating scale such as 1/96 or 1/192 scale as being worth considering, for the reason that those scales offer a lot of the smaller fittings and accessories that you're likely to need once the relatively easy and enjoyable part of scratchbuilding hull and superstructure are taken care of. 

Thanks!  However, I want to do a full kit with etch metal etc.  Plus others fittings can sometimes be of dubious accuracy and scale!  96th could be OK maybe.

• Like 2

Apologies - that'll teach me not to properly read the post! In that case I'd probably suggest 1/144 or 1/72 scale as these are still popular scales and for folk who want to add crew figures etc, they'll not struggle to find them :)

All that said, if your masters are 3D modelled and 3D printed prior to casting then perhaps don't dismiss 1/350 entirely at least as an option. They might do well with people looking to build little dioramas. Mike McCabe's little HMT Sir Gareth trawler is a very cute size and seems quite admired on the whole. I understand if the main goal is bigger models, of course, but it's maybe something to keep at the back of the mind if designing them for 3D printed masters :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would like some larger scale models of things like WWII era frigates and destroyers, if you can get mammoth size battleships in 1/200 why wouldn't similar hull length models of say a Tribal or Hunt class work or sell? Not sure what scale they would be then, haven't got my calculator to hand but 1/96 maybe?

Even a model of something like I've suggested with the hull length of a 1/350 battleship would be attractive, have good shelf presence I think with plenty of opportunity for extra detailing.

I haven't seen the 1/144 Flower from Revell but that sounds intriguing, does anyone have any photo's with something to scale it against?

Dave

On 07/06/2020 at 12:29, Richard E said:

I wonder if the military modellers would have any interest in a RIB or inflatable in 1/35th scale ?

I think this is a good suggestion. The 1/35 Italeri MTBs, PTs and S-boats seem popular, and Tamiya’s Pibber likewise. Perhaps subjects that compliment any of these kits would appeal to the same market.

The Italeri kits in particular have been used as a basis for RC by a few, so that broadens your potential market

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlyingSpanner said:

I think this is a good suggestion. The 1/35 Italeri MTBs, PTs and S-boats seem popular, and Tamiya’s Pibber likewise. Perhaps subjects that compliment any of these kits would appeal to the same market.

The Italeri kits in particular have been used as a basis for RC by a few, so that broadens your potential market

I'm considering doing the Arctic 28 RIB as used by the SAS and Royal Marines.  Also maybe a Rigid Raider in 35th too.  Can't see them being much use as RC though, they will be resin, so rather heavy!

I don’t really know the market, or what crossover there may be with people who build armour or battle dioramas, but a quick glance in the work in progress maritime forum suggests a strong bias towards WW2 era vessels, at least in the britmodeller community. It may be that the market for that era is already saturated by kits from the big names, but it probably bears further investigation. 

Another avenue would be to offer parts to make “kits” not otherwise offered, but which take advantage of existing aftermarket parts. For example MTB hulls offers a huge variety of grp hulls in a load of different scales, but require the consumer to scratch build the rest of the vessel. A range of superstructure or weapons to suit the more popular hulls might be well received in the marketplace. I see MTB hulls used all over the world, so you could tap into an existing client base 

• 3 months later...

Gordon

I'm a bit late to the show here but I've just ordered a Puffer now they are back in stock.

I think 1/144 is an excellent scale for display models of small vessels of this type.  I'm looking forward to your next model and hopefully the range will be a big success as there is simply no limit to the different models you could produce.  Tug's, Ferry's, Fishing Boats, Pilot Boats etc.  Also you may want to think about some coastal craft such as MTB's and MGB's.  Although 1/72 seems to dominate a 1/144 Fairmile would be a nice size model and you could start a trend.

Looking forward to the TID 😉

Terry

5 hours ago, terryn said:

Gordon

I'm a bit late to the show here but I've just ordered a Puffer now they are back in stock.

I think 1/144 is an excellent scale for display models of small vessels of this type.  I'm looking forward to your next model and hopefully the range will be a big success as there is simply no limit to the different models you could produce.  Tug's, Ferry's, Fishing Boats, Pilot Boats etc.  Also you may want to think about some coastal craft such as MTB's and MGB's.  Although 1/72 seems to dominate a 1/144 Fairmile would be a nice size model and you could start a trend.

Looking forward to the TID 😉

Terry

No problem, they've only just come out as I had to wait for the etch to arrive in the quantities I needed!

The next on the slipway is a TID Tug.  Similar size as the Puffer, but I'm only doing a waterline version as they aren't often beached.

Gordon