Goodbye Woodpecker Phantoms

Billy54

A sad day. I worked on the cameras on the RF-4C Phantom II for 13 years out of my 24 year USAF career. Even though I also worked on the SR-71 and the U-2C & U-2R, the Phantom was my favorite airplane to work on.

Larry

Phormer Photo Phantom Phixer

• Like 5

Thank you so much for posting this. What a magnificent beast the Phantom is! With no stores, a light fuel load, and a relatively low airspeed, pretty doggoned nimble, I would say- loved the condensation streamers! Proof positive that with enough thrust, you can make a barn silo fly supersonic! They will be missed. Those RF's were most likely a lot older than their aircrews. Wonder what will happen to the airframes- any idea, Billy?

Mike

BTW, those RF-4C's in the sea scheme are sooooo beautiful! :like:

Edited by 72modeler
edited text

Hello Mike, I have no idea what happened to those "Woodpecker" Phantoms, I sure hope they weren't, or will be, cut up for scrap. I found this video after I received the DXM decal sheet (01-7137) for the 501 Sq Final Yea which I plan to use on an already acquired Has RF-4E. The sheet is for 57-6907 finished in the green/brown scheme. I later found out that Hasegawa has already issued RF-4E kits in both 1/72 and quarter scale in both the green/brown scheme and the "sea" scheme. I was fortunate enough to pick up one of the 1/72 "sea" RFs from a certain (bidding/buying) web site without having to mortgage my home and it should arrive by mid week. I have just started the Airfix FG.1 to be finished as XT597 however due to the challenges, for me, of the Airfix kit, it may well get set aside when the "sea" Phantom arrives and I start both Japanese Phantoms finishing one in the green/brown scheme and the other in the "sea" scheme. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Billy54 said:

I found this video after I received the DXM decal sheet (01-7137) for the 501 Sq Final Yea which I plan to use on an already acquired Has RF-4E. The sheet is for 57-6907 finished in the green/brown scheme. I later found out that Hasegawa has already issued RF-4E kits in both 1/72 and quarter scale in both the green/brown scheme and the "sea" scheme. I was fortunate enough to pick up one of the 1/72 "sea" RFs from a certain (bidding/buying) web site without having to mortgage my home and it should arrive by mid week. 

I have been looking for those Hasegawa kits at a reasonable price for a long time now, and eventually found them the same way as you by the sounds of it yesterday. I will be replacing the kit decals with the DXM ones as they are going to release the other scheme later this month. I watched the video last night and having worked on RAF Phantoms as St Athan I know that they can put up a good display when having no stores and a lowish fuel load. It will be sad if the Japanese do not at least keep one of the specials on display somewhere in the country.

The Japanese Phantoms are all being scrapped as far as I know. There is a scrapyard about five miles from Hyakuri with a pile of them in

Andy

• Sad 2

Hello Andy, thanks for those two pictures. They are the two aircraft I plan to build, 57-6907 in the green /brown camouflage scheme with the DXM decals and 47-6905 in the sea camouflage scheme, I just received the Hasegawa kit with sea decals. I plan to start them this evening or tomorrow. Life is good. :) 

On 6/8/2020 at 11:33 AM, Jabba said:

I have been looking for those Hasegawa kits at a reasonable price for a long time now, and eventually found them the same way as you by the sounds of it yesterday. I will be replacing the kit decals with the DXM ones as they are going to release the other scheme later this month. I watched the video last night and having worked on RAF Phantoms as St Athan I know that they can put up a good display when having no stores and a lowish fuel load. It will be sad if the Japanese do not at least keep one of the specials on display somewhere in the country.

Hi Jabba, I received my Sea Camouflage Phantom yesterday, it is this one:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-02316-rf-4e-phantom-ii--1237483

and I did something that I haven't done in over 60 years - I actually started a kit on the day I received it! Cleaned up the parts to be painted white and glued the wing tanks. I have the white parts for the green/brown one already cleaned so today my plan is to shoot some white paint. btw  I have, in the past, experienced some issues/challenges with Hasegaawa  decals in their "Limited Edition" kits and should this happen with the sea camouflage decals I will get a set of the DXM. 

Yes that is the one that I got, plus I also got this one:-

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/hasegawa-02318-rf-4e-phantom-ii--1252168

I am going to get the DXM decals for both of these aircraft, like you not trusting the Hasegawa main one, but I will use their stencils as they do seem to be lumped together rather than individual as on the DXM sheet. I have just applied over 250 stencils to an Airfix Royal Navy model and to be honest I would rather not repeat the process. I wish you good luck with your build, mine will not be for a while yet, but I promise that they will be built. Are you going to open up a topic in the Work in Progress section?

• Like 1

Good for you, pleased to hear you picked up both of the Japanese RF-4E's. No I will not be starting a WIP thread in the WIP forum for a number of reasons - haven't figured out a way to add images (yes I know it isn't too challenging, I'm either lazy or not motivated enough) and my work isn't anything to rave about.

I did however shoot white paint on all (I'm sure I missed some) of the pasts which require it for both kits today and also put some paint on the exhausts. I may attack the cockpit and seats tomorrow. :)  

Amazing how machines can make you emotional. I remember the last time I saw a Vulcan fly at the Great Yorkshire Airshow in 2015. Made my eyes leak, as it did lots of others that day.