Yellowed decals and using Future on canopies

Hobo

Hello everyone,

I am curious if anyone has any info on these two questions:

1. If you dip canopies in Future floor wax to improve their appearance, does it eventually yellow the canopy over time?

2. I have previously taped yellowed decals to a window that was exposed to the sun for 10 hours and it completely removed the yellowing. Unfortunately, those decals are long gone. So, I was wondering if the yellowing eventually returns to these decals over time. Thanks everyone.

9 minutes ago, Hobo said:

1. If you dip canopies in Future floor wax to improve their appearance, does it eventually yellow the canopy over time?

Ive been doing it for 20 years + with zero issues.

9 minutes ago, Hobo said:

2. I have previously taped yellowed decals to a window that was exposed to the sun and it completely removed the yellowing. Unfortunately, those decals are long gone. So, I was wondering if the yellowing eventually returns to these decals over time. Thanks everyone.

if you seal the decals on the model with Future/pledge/ name your gloss coat of choice. Id say no. I believe the yellow comes from oxidization of the glue and once its sealed in should be pretty protected ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just picked up some cheap Ariana Afghan DC-10 decals made by Runway 30 (RW3021) from the big H which are quite yellowed. Thing is that these are just blue stripes on a clear film; will the exposure to sunlight trick work on the clear film?

18 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Just picked up some cheap Ariana Afghan DC-10 decals made by Runway 30 (RW3021) from the big H which are quite yellowed. Thing is that these are just blue stripes on a clear film; will the exposure to sunlight trick work on the clear film?

Always has for me.

• Thanks 1

With the decals in the window technique, I've often wondered why at the same time as removing any yellowing, it hasn't also removed the other colours. I've had many books and CD's over the years that have had terribly faded spines, especially red becoming bleached out and a bit on the pink side. And I've never taped any of them to a window for two months.

On 06/06/2020 at 00:54, Hobo said:

If you dip canopies in Future floor wax to improve their appearance, does it eventually yellow the canopy over time?

I have dipped canopies  30 years old that look fine. But I would ensure you are using the proper Future, not another company's similar product. Future contains a number of proprietary ingredients which may be unique to Future. I don't think any other finish has been so thoroughly tested by modellers for so long as Future, so it can be trusted - others may work, but will not have had the same long term testing.

As an aside, I am amused by those who poo poo Future as just a floor wax, but will happily apply acrylic finishes from "proper" model companies which have not had nearly the same level of long term real-world testing. The only problem is availability and cost (note in the UK it is currently branded as "Revive-it") £15.99 on Amazon. Interestingly, according to Amazon it's "frequently bought together" partners are Micro-sol and micro-set 😁. I wonder if anyone uses it on floors anymore?

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This south facing sunlight thing, does it have to be a window or would putting them in the sun affixed to something else to keep them flat work? I did wonder if it is the close up refraction of the sunlight through the glass that bleaches the yellow without killing the colour of the decals?

15 hours ago, ckw said:

The only problem is availability and cost (note in the UK it is currently branded as "Revive-it") £15.99 on Amazon. Interestingly, according to Amazon it's "frequently bought together" partners are Micro-sol and micro-set 😁. I wonder if anyone uses it on floors anymore?

Sorry Colin Had to laugh when I read this section. I agree 110% on the Future argument, Ive been using it for 30 years and use the Pledge branded version now. 

I’m getting a bit desperate for Klear now, I only have about an inch in the bottom of the bottle and am struggling to find its replacement in the shops.  Tesco shop tomorrow, I’ll have a look there.  Does anyone have a picture of the Pledge replacement?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-11182-Revive-Transparent-Liquid/dp/B000ARPH4C

I don't think I've ever seen this in shops in the UK - at the price, I doubt it would exactly fly off the shelves!

Of course for me its really a bargain as i use it as a final finish (mixed with flat base and IPA). I figure that the equivalent amount of Tamiya varnish would cost £150 - £200

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ckw said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pledge-11182-Revive-Transparent-Liquid/dp/B000ARPH4C

I don't think I've ever seen this in shops in the UK - at the price, I doubt it would exactly fly off the shelves!

Of course for me its really a bargain as i use it as a final finish (mixed with flat base and IPA). I figure that the equivalent amount of Tamiya varnish would cost £150 - £200

Cheers

Colin

I like the Amazon frequently bought together items :rofl: