Sparmax 610 or 620?

Not really, the specs are very similar with the 620 being just that bit more powerful. However, when reading the specs on the 610, it will do everything you need, has enough air output/power to comfortably run your airbrush for what you want to do with it. 

I have had the 620 for about 4 years but have never really use the second air line. The main air tank pressure gauge gave up not long after the warranty expired and the pressure gauge on the relief valve could do with being a lower pressure range to make adjustments a little more obvious. Since almost new there has been an alarming amount of rust coloured water that drains out of the main air tank when vented but so far it hasn't caused any problems.

The above are niggles more than anything else so I would be happy enough to recommend a Sparmax compressor as my original one from 15 years ago is still going strong too.

Duncan B

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Since almost new there has been an alarming amount of rust coloured water that drains out of the main air tank when vented but so far it hasn't caused any problems.

I think that's true of most models of compressor. Mine does the same and has from new (bought in 1990) Silair/Premi-air brand by Werther of Italy, still going strong today with no issues whatsoever, crikey that's 30 years, I'm getting old now!!!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

Mine does the same and has from new (bought in 1990) Silair/Premi-air brand by Werther of Italy, still going strong today with no issues whatsoever...

I must have jinxed myself. Just turned mine on and ran okay for 5 minutes, followed by a loud bang and air hissing noise. On inspection it's blown a hole straight through the tank, which is also the carrying handle. All rusty inside and the metal is all pin holes along the bottom. Looks irrepairable, I think a new one is needed ☹

• Sad 1

Personally I would stick to the 610, the original version not the new model with the moisture trap at the top of the device.

Both will do the job, but never had any real problems with the 610, its the only tank compressor we stock now.

620 has two pistons, so more to go wrong. The 610 is easy to remove the moisture trap to drain the tank & clean out the regulator.

The updated version has a regulator fixed into the tank and the top sticks up through a hole in the case to regulate it.

Paul

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

I've just had a problem with my 620. It developed a leak that would drain the tank in about 1 hour if the unit was switched off. I found the leak easily enough after checking all the hose connections were tight first, the dome for the water trap is actually plastic and the metal valve is a push fit into the bottom of the bowl. It had cracked all round that area, no way to fix it as the cracks were right through the plastic so a new bowl was needed (only a few £s). That will be why the bowl has a metal cover over it so it's worth unscrewing the metal cover from time to time to check for cracks in the plastic bowl. I changed the intake filter at the same time, another couple of quid but worth it.

Duncan B