USAF vehicle colours

danbuoy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with the colours for USAF ground vehicles, such as cars, pickups etc. Era wise, I'm looking at mid 70s to early 90s, and ideally vehicles on UK or European bases.

There seem to be two main colours; blue and green. For the blue, I'm using Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue, but the green seems like a bit of a minefield. Having done a fair bit of research (including downloading the official USAF painting and marking instructions), there seem to be several colours suggested.

Two of these (Xtracolor 109 and Colourcoats ARUS02) look good, but each of these only appear to be available from one seller each (Hannants and Sovereign Hobbies respectively) and I simply cannot justify the postage costs for the couple of tins I would need (£14 postage from Sovereign!). 

Vallejo seem to do several possible options in their Modelair range (71016, 71294 and 71015), although these are all matt and numerous photos I've got show a more satin type finish.

Has anyone got any other suggestions and what have others used?

Also, has anyone ever found a good match for the brown used on base signage?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, danbuoy said:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help with the colours for USAF ground vehicles, such as cars, pickups etc. Era wise, I'm looking at mid 70s to early 90s, and ideally vehicles on UK or European bases.

danbuoy,

I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath from 1977 to 1980 and can tell you that you are on the right track for colors. Air Force blue FS 15044 as it was commonly called for motor vehicles such as cars and pickup and including dump style trucks, and metro (bread style) vans. We had aircraft tow tugs in both age yellow FS 33538 and olive green FS34084. Near as I can remember after all these years. Same with all the age equipment my load crew used. I've used and still use Testors Model Master paint. Have many bottles to use up before I head to acrylics.

Hope this helps but with everything else it has gone stupid expensive.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that. What particular Testors paint have you been using? Did the green AGE at Lakenheath have a matt finish? Vehicles from around the mid-80s seem to have more of a satin finish so I'm wondering if it would be possible to do a satin varnish over a matt paint? The aforementioned Vallejo Paints I do like the look of and price isn't an issue.

• Like 1

More or less satin finish. It didn't take long to go grungy. Never really saw a true flat finish. Only gloss vehicles were those that were blue. All others that were olive green or od were satin, including those aircraft that were painted erou1 scheme.

Ron VanDerwarker

• 6 months later...

Currently using Testors Model Masters oil based paints. Also have Polly S acrylics, Pactra military colors from the 80's and surprisingly still good. Alclad, Testor Metalizers,

Floquil. Even stole the wife's nail polish once to see how and what it would do to plastic without primer and with primer. I do all sorts of kits and dioramas.

Ron VanDerwarker

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, yes, this seems to be pretty close to Humbrol 15 gloss midnight blue, which I have been using and am pleased with the look of. One colour I am finding hard to match is a more modern lighter metallic blue, often seen on a lot of current USAF pickups.