Hasegawa Birdcage Corsair 1/72 FINISHED

almac

Evening all. I’m just putting down a bookmark for this GB. I will get round to starting this soon but modelling is on hold at the moment for various reasons. As the title says I’m building the old Hasegawa birdcage Corsair. It is a kit very much of it’s time with a spartan cockpit and raised panel lines. I have built the Hasegawa F4u-1a and it is a nice simple build and I expect this will be no different. 

This will be FAA F4u from 1835 squadron in extra dark sea grey/ slate grey over Sky. Having done some reading tonight I believe 1835 Squadron was once of the first to get the Corsair in 1943.

Here are some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals are from the Skymodels sheet.

spacer.png

Hopefully I’ll be able to start this soon but I first have to finish my Spitfire IX for the GB.

Cheers Allan 

Edited by almac
  • Like 10

While the Hasegawa kit may be basic by some modern standards I'm sure you'll produce a fine model from it Allan.

• Thanks 1

Morning all. I’ve made a start on this one. I painted the meagre cockpit xtraxrylic interior green. I also dry fitted the main parts to check the fit. Not too bad on the whole except for the fuselage and wings underneath which will need some work. I am going to attempt to use the instrument panel decals but they may be unusable due to their age. I’m not to bothered if they don’t work as nothing of the cockpit will be seen when it’s all closed up. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 6

It's nice to see this one underway Allan.

Fingers crossed with the decals - old Japanese ones can sometimes be reluctant to come away from their backing sheets :S 

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I’ve finally got round to this one. The last two nights have almost got me to the painting stage. Canopy on tomorrow and clean up some joins and it will be ready for the primer coat. I am really enjoying this simple build it goes together well with most parts fitting nicely

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

Afternoon all. Some progress on this one last night. Canopy masked and I primed the plane with Halfords grey primer. As usual for me the primer shows bits that need attention. The canopy which I thought was ok was not so that came off and was re-positioned. There are also some seams that need attention.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

Hi all, seams sorted to the best of my ability and to my boredom threshold. I have decided to try black-basing to hopefully achieve some variation in the paint work. So this is where I finished tonight.spacer.png

This is a new technique for me so who knows how it will turn out.

Cheets Allan 

• Like 3

Evening all. So tonight I painted the sky on the underside of the plane. I lightened Tamiya Sky roughly 1:1 with white as I think the sky is too dark from the bottle. I began attempting to do fine squiggles of the sky over the black  and then gradually lightly spray over the squiggles to achieve a patchy finish. That was the theory I’m not sure how it’s turned out. 

First the squiggles, a bit rough I think.

spacer.png

This is where I decided to stop and see how it looks in daylight. At the moment I’m fairly happy with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any thoughts or criticism would be welcome.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

Evening all. I’ve started painting the upper fuselage but I’m not at all sure about the colour. I’ve painted Gunze h52 olive drab but I think it’s too dark and too brown compared to the few photos I could find. Thoughts anyone? 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, almac said:

Evening all. I’ve started painting the upper fuselage but I’m not at all sure about the colour. I’ve painted Gunze h52 olive drab but I think it’s too dark and too brown compared to the few photos I could find. Thoughts anyone? 

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

I used Gunze's Mr.Hobby olive drab and its not much if any different from your color. I wouldn't worry about it these chalked so bad in service they come in every shade of olive green there is. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I used Gunze's Mr.Hobby olive drab and its not much if any different from your color. I wouldn't worry about it these chalked so bad in service they come in every shade of olive green there is. 

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I agree with Dennis, the colour changed to so many variations when in service that nobody can say that a particular brands olive drab is any better than anothers. I think it looks pretty good actually.

Thanks for your comments. I think I'll stick with how it is as my modelling time is limited at the moment and I would rather move on with this one. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 3

I think the Olive Drab looks fine. I was going to comment that your EDSG looks far too dark but then I remembered the black primer! I think it will look a lot different (and better) with the grey on instead of the black.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Well I don’t know if I would call this progress but here is where I am with this Corsair now. Having spent a relaxing few hours masking to paint the dark sea grey I resprayed the black before the grey. When I peeled back some blutac for a look I saw a black line between the OD and grey. This as it turned out is over most of the airframe. This is how it looks.

spacer.png

So I’m thinking what’s my best approach to sort this? Should I use the OD or the grey to cover up the black line? I’m also not sure about the grey is it too light? Another thing occurred to me when I looked at the few photos of the actual planes is that I may have the camo pattern reversed. I’m calling it a night for now and give it some thought tomorrow. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, almac said:

So I’m thinking what’s my best approach to sort this? Should I use the OD or the grey to cover up the black line? I’m also not sure about the grey is it too light? Another thing occurred to me when I looked at the few photos of the actual planes is that I may have the camo pattern reversed. I’m calling it a night for now and give it some thought tomorrow. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. 

Hello allan... to fix the shadow black lines overlap either color with the tac sausages leaving the opposite color just visible. When you paint this will get covered up and remove the black edges. In the future if you go that route again spray more of the initial color so that you can over lap to get the desired edge. As for the colors snd the layout there is this to use as a guide. Im not sure but i guess its possible there were “A” & “B” schemes ? 

OVefl7d.jpg

Maybe if @Dana Bell or @Troy Smith has a chance they could let us know if vought, Goodyear, or Brewster had the option of A & B schemes. 

• Like 3