Alclad II Issues

MarcV

Afternoon all,

Much as I love Alclad when it's working well, it doesn't a lot of the time. It could be my fault but I have clotting issues through three types of airbrush (Badger, Iwata and Fengdu) despite keeping them very clean, and lubing just before use.

I have no issues with coarser pigment paints and primers, only (some) Alclads (if that is a permissible plural).

I do suspect there is a shelf life issue, as said some older paint's appearance seems like they are clotting somewhat, but it also occurs with new unopened paints.

Only options are turning the pressure way up or keeping the pressure low resulting in no paint flow at first followed by a great splash of paint when the back pressure has built up sufficiently - both resulting in airbrushing with little control.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? Help here would be much appreciated.

I thank you all,

Marc.

I too find Alclad have a short shelf life. I've learned to replace them when they start clogging.

I also now only use them for detail painting, not full airframe. Had to do a full strip on my last NMF aircraft.

I do have the feeling shelf line is also an issue. The pigment seems to dissolve out of the carrier in some of the older paints. This results in needing to spray at higer pressures (30 psi plus) meaning you kind of lose the control you have at lower pressures.

I have had bottles turn bad also and become difficult to spray nicely. What helped me recently was mixing Mr.Hobby Levelling Thinner into the the Alclad (non hi-shine Lacquer types) and mixing well, they sprayed smooth again, better than fresh Alclad imho. Since finding this I always add some MLT to any Alclad I spray as I find it just goes on smoother, finer lines through the airbrush and a bit glossier, though it takes a little longer to flash off. You can even thin it down well enough to do fine mottle shading etc...something I've never really been able to do with Alclad straight from the bottle. 

David 

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, MarcV said:

Thank you David, I have MLT I'll give it a try. What do you mean by flash of - rubbing down with cotton wool?

Love your Mirage picture BTW.

Marc.

Thanks Marc!

I mean unlike straight Alclad that pretty much dries in split seconds before you can pass over again, adding the MLT keeps the paint wet for longer (retarder) so you have to be careful with fingerprints or dust a little more, still it dries very quick. On my recent build I sprayed MLT+Alclad mixes and waited maybe 20mins then began masking them with no problems. As I mentioned, for me it really was a game changer in how you can paint shade all sorts of tones and layers with Alclad.

I must stress though this is with the Lacquer ones like normal Aluminium etc...The 'Hi-Shine' paints like chrome or polished aluminium I think are much more delicate and fussy and IIRC alcohol based so I didn't try it with those, but maybe it works I'm not sure! 

David

Edited by mirageiv
  • Thanks 1