Tameo Ferrari 312PB Restoration

This is Tameo's 1/43 Ferrari 312PB (kit TMK068). I built it in 1988 (so it's the same age as my eldest son!) when it first came out and it sat on a shelf for a good few years. I can't recall exactly what occurred next, save to say that it ended up on the floor and I trod on it. Being white metal, it bent rather than broke, though it did do a fair bit of both. So it then went in a box, in bits, gradually losing parts along the way and staying that way for probably 25 years. Until a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for spare decals and came across it, as well as two old Airfix kits (Scout helicopter and Bristol Bulldog), still in their bags. Not sure what I'll do with the Airfix, but the poor old Ferrari caught my imagination, so out it came. Paint was stripped with a night spent in a glass jar of MEK and all the lost bits re-made. The MEK also loosened the glued joints and the rest was either unscrewed or just fell apart. A new screen was crash-moulded and replacement decals came from Le Mans Decals (www.lemansdecals.com).

So there it is; de-bent, refurbed and ready (with luck) for a second life. I do have a few more kits which need TLC and if I can find replacement decals for them I shall be doing another one soon.

0001a

0001b

0001c

• Like 11

Excellent job on retrieving this from disaster. It looks great and if you hadn't said I would never have guessed it had been trod on, bent and battered in a previous life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Brilliant recovery job on a fabulous little model.

BTW, how did you get on with Le Mans Decals?

Trevor

Got on well with them: I used Microsol but didn't really need it. They are very thin and need to be trimmed but I will use them again.

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Got on well with them: I used Microsol but didn't really need it. They are very thin and need to be trimmed but I will use them again.

Thanks very much.  I have a few sets but not used them yet.

I've used Le Mans Decals too with no problems,they are quite thin and flexible. You can still get all Tameo decals for all their kits separately from Grand Prix Models and other shops. Very nice Ferrari,another 1/43 model builder! Chris.

• Like 1