de Havilland Hornet F.3 but which one?

MigModeller

Just noticed a new release of the AZ de Havilland Hornet F.3.  Apparently not the Special Hobby reboxed.  According to Hannants

My question is which release has lugs for wings/tailplane?

I want to depict  hornets flown by Flight Lieutenant R. A. Harvey,  and a Flight Lieutenant R. A. Harvey  41-Squadron, 

The main thread is here, I suggest you follow along there for information as it comes. No-one's seen the AZ kit yet but early signs e.g. shots of the canopy, suggest it may well be a lot better than they very poor alternatives, both Special Hobby and Frog having serious problems.

• Like 1

Thanks Work In Progress.

Cannot see any discussion of wing tabs.  So if the AZ has locating tabs, it's a must for me.  Added bonus if it includes markings for Flight Lieutenant R. A. Harvey's  41-Squadron a/c

5 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I don't care if it has markings for Benny Hill- if it's an accurate kit, I want an F1 and F3!

Mike

No my name is not Ernie.  I'll send you my unmade Frog Hornet if your hopes are dashed.

2 hours ago, MigModeller said:

I'll send you my unmade Frog Hornet if your hopes are dashed.

Thanks but no thanks. I still have the airframe of my  Frog kit, which was my first airbrushed model; done as PX217 in medium sea grey over PRU blue, as well as two unbuilt Frog and two Special Hobby kits...hoping, hoping that AZ gets them right! (Wanna bet if they get it right that one nacelle was slightly longer than the other due to the longer gearbox required for the opposite handed Merlin?)

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

On 6/6/2020 at 12:07 PM, 72modeler said:

one nacelle was slightly longer than the other due to the longer gearbox required for the opposite handed Merlin

Interesting - how much longer? Port or starboard?

John

Starboard, and I think it’s about half an inch longer at most.  There was a thread on here a few years ago about correcting the Trumpeter Hornet which covered this point but I’ve not gone looking for it yet.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 7:35 AM, stever219 said:

Starboard, and I think it’s about half an inch longer at most.  There was a thread on here a few years ago about correcting the Trumpeter Hornet which covered this point but I’ve not gone looking for it yet.

It was the RH engine cowling. Looks to be an inch or more longer than the LH one. I have a closeup color photo of the RH nacelle showing the extended cowling marked. The photo was from David Collins. Very small detail, to be sure, but very, very easy to do, for those who want an accurate Hornet/Sea Hornet. I recall they were 130-series Merlins, but I don't recall the numbers for the LH and RH engines- I can most likely find that, though.

Mike

Merlin 130: LH rotation

Merlin 131: RH rotation

Edited by 72modeler
deleted erroneous text
  • Thanks 2

On 6/9/2020 at 5:20 PM, 72modeler said:

It was the RH engine cowling. Looks to be an inch or more longer than the LH one. I have a closeup color photo of the RH nacelle showing the extended cowling marked. The photo has no trademark or identification; I have no idea where I found it, but if you would like to see it, pm me with your email address and I will forward it to you. Very small detail, to be sure, but very, very easy to do, for those who want an accurate Hornet/Sea Hornet. I recall they were 130-series Merlins, but I don't recall the numbers for the LH and RH engines- I can most likely find that, though.

Mike

Merlin 130: LH rotation

Merlin 131: RH rotation

Hi,

This colour image showing the slightly longer RH nacelle extension originated from me.

11 minutes ago, David A Collins said:

This colour image showing the slightly longer RH nacelle extension originated from me.

Thank you, David! The photo I had saved in my reference photo files had no source or caption, I will edit my original post to show you as the source. I am so sorry!

Mike

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Thank you, David! The photo I had saved in my reference photo files had no source or caption, I will edit my original post to show you as the source. I am so sorry!

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don't mind at all. It's all free to use. 👍

• Thanks 1