Luftwaffe Tornado IDS - Revell 1/144

Hi. :D 

As I've already said, I'm not going to start any new larger projects until the renovation of our appartment block is done sometime next spring/summer. 

But a Tornado in 1/144 scale can't positivly be called a large project.
So I'm building this as a test aircraft for @Christer A project in 3D printing a Mehrzweckwaffe 1 (MW-1) capsule for the German Tornado. 

I'll be using one of my many Revell 1/144 Tornados for this one. 
49970889298_8a7c436ce8_k.jpg122 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
I really like this small little kits and I think I've bought at least ten of them during our vaccations in Germany. 
They only costs around €8 and I've got a plan to do all the cool Tigermeet and other special paint schemes the Germans are known for and for that I think 1/144 is the perfect scale. 

The box contains three grey sprues, and one clear.
49971666522_95ea75bdbc_k.jpg123 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
The small sprue with the AGM-88's and the IR linescanner will not be used in this build since they are ECR specific. 

You also get a small decal sheet for one Tigermeet option and one option in standard Norm 95 colours.
49970887713_b1b1f73cbb_k.jpg124 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
I won't be using the Tigermeet decals on this build since mine is going to be an operational aircraft in Norm 83.
I primed all part yesterday evening with some light grey enamel and I'll start buidling on Sunday when I return home from a weekend spent in the cottage. 

To be continued.....
/Bosse  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christer A said:

Good luck Bosse!

You'll get the first 1/144 MW-1 once we're happy with the print 😉

Thanks Christer. 

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

/Bosse

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. 

Time isn't on my side these days. 
I've not been able to do any modeling for about a week. 
But yesterday I received the first production shot of Christer A's MW-1 in 1/144.
50014442693_74a5947e71_k.jpg125 by Bosse Persson, on Flickr
It's not a small weapon system even in the tiny scale 1/144.
I've primed it with some light grey enamel so the acrylic paint have something to grip on.
And since my three young ones now have their school holidays I hope I'll have some more time for modelning. 
To be continued.....

/Bosse 

• Like 3

Just now, neil5208 said:

would that be available in 1/72?

I'm having talks with a resin detail manufacturer about launching this as a real product.

The plan is to make MW-1 dispensers in resin in all four scales, but as the discussions about how to proceed has just started, let's just say that it wont be available to buy before July 😇

• Like 1

Oh nice, I've still got to finish my GR1's with the JP233's. Which iirc where seen to be better than the MW-1 because of the less drag penalty but the MW-1 has more munitions? I could be wrong there.  I did find an MW-1 in a Dragon set I've got somewhere, never actually checked it so I don't know how good it is. I'm still looking for BL775 clusterbombs in 1/144. :(

Looking forward to this one Bosse. Like you, I own more Tornados than I should admit too lol.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dazzio said:

Oh nice, I've still got to finish my GR1's with the JP233's. Which iirc where seen to be better than the MW-1 because of the less drag penalty but the MW-1 has more munitions?

JP233 is some 80 cm longer but one pair is 510 kg lighter than one MW-1.

JP233 is solely used for anti-runway missions, with 60 runway cratering bombs and 430 mines.

MW-1 on the other hand was delivered in 5 configurations, both anti runway, anti armor, anti shipping anti personel according to this list from wikipedia (time to practice your German reading skills):

Der Behälter wurde so konzipiert, dass verschiedene Arten von Submunition pyrotechnisch seitlich aus den Ausstoßrohren verschossen werden konnten.

Folgende Beladung der MW-1 war möglich:

KB 44 (Kleinbombe 44; 42 pro Rohr): Bomblet mit Splitter- und Hohlladungswirkung: zum Einsatz gegen ungepanzerte und leicht gepanzerte Ziele wie Fahrzeuge und abgestellte Flugzeuge etc.

MUSPA (Multi-Splitter-Passiv-Aktiv; 6 pro Rohr): Mine mit aktiven und passiven Sensoren mit Splitterladung (2.100 Metallsplitter) zur sofortigen oder zeitgesteuerten Detonation zur Zerstörung oder Beschädigung vorbeirollender Flugzeuge und Fahrzeuge

MUSA (Multi-Splitter-Aktiv; ähnlich der MUSPA; 6 pro Rohr): Mine mit aktiven Sensoren mit Splitterladung zur sofortigen oder zeitgesteuerten Detonation

MIFF (Mine-Flach-Flach; 8 pro Rohr): Panzerabwehrmine mit Doppelhohlladung; unter anderem mit Magnetfeldsensor

STABO (Startbahnbombe; 2 pro Rohr): Bombe zur Zerstörung von Start-/Landebahnen. Die zunächst beim Aufschlag detonierende Hohlladung schafft einen Kanal in der Oberfläche. Eine Nachschussladung schafft einen unterirdischen Hohlraum, der aufwändig beseitigt werden muss, um die Startbahn wiederherzustellen.

Zusätzlich sind zwei Mischbeladungen möglich, die gegen Panzer-/Fahrzeugansammlungen bzw. Flugplätze optimiert sind. Die Bundeswehr beschaffte folgende Modelle der MW-1[5]

ModellInhaltBeschaffte Anzahl

DM11  668 MUSA147+

DM12  4536 KB4498+

DM22  200 STABO177+

DM31  88 MUSA + 508 MUSPA + 96 MIFF172+

DM32  2184 KB44 + 448 MIFF250+

Nasty piece of work, in either case!

• Like 1

Thanks Werner. :D 

Well that's one way of looking on it.  :thumbsup:

I think I'll have a plan on how I'm going to survive, and my built collection, during the evacuation.

/Bosse

• Like 1