1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vb

On 08/07/2020 at 16:37, The Spadgent said:

Happy painting, she’s looking dandy. 🙌

Thanks Johnny👍

The masks have been removed and I must admit that I'm very happy with the finish - I will use vinyl again for any future masking requirements - it worked a treat! Here's how she looks in her dark earth and dark grey scheme:

scheme.jpg

I'm still trying to get used to seeing these two colours together on the same camouflage scheme - it looks very different from usual. There is a slight difference in the two finishes (the dark earth is Colourcoats; the dark grey is Humbrol). However, I'm confident that a gloss coat, decals, weathering and matt coat will soon rectify that!

I had one minor setback last night... I dropped the rear view mirror! The carpet monster kept that item for around 16 hours before returning it - I have now glued it into place to prevent a recurrence!😁

Still looking like I might finish before the deadline...🤣

• Like 6

I've started the decals; here's the belly after my first session. There are a few more to apply here, but they go over the roundels:

belly.jpg

I enjoy this stage of the build, especially when there are not too many tiny stencils to apply! It really starts to look the part after decals go on.

Also, just for the Spadgent I've left another model he should recognise in the background to pique his interest...😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hi Matt. 

Looking at your Vb you must absolutely nail Vulcan tight camouflage now. I'll have to come to you when I do my Hunter. Great job!! 

Ray

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 7:06 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

I will use vinyl again for any future masking requirements - it worked a treat!

I am planning to do the same for a Mk 1a in the BoB GB. As I recall that they used mats for spraying Spitfires early in WW2 which gave a hard edge to the camouflage, Yours worked very well, no step that I can see.

Your Vb looks excellent, great modelling!

• Like 1

The decals are all on and I've applied a matt coat:

camo.jpg

There has been a slight issue with the varnish, which has happened to me before - in some areas it is opaque and white, rather than clear. I suspect it was applied too heavily... After weathering, I will lightly varnish again and hopefully it will disappear!

My other issue at this late stage involves the canopy. There was some minor overspray on the inside, which I attempted to remove with white spirit. The paint came off, but the canopy is now slightly opaque:

canopy.jpg

Luckily I still have the transparent sprue, which includes an option for the closed canopy - I will cut the excess plastic off this part and cannibalise it to make a new hood. I guess white spirit slightly melts clear plastic...?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

the canopy is now slightly opaque

I have saved canopies before with a careful polish with Brasso wadding. But it's spirit based and you can't do it for long before it does more harm than good. But if you've nothing to lose may be worth trying? A quick polish them buff with a clean cloth, an old cotton handkerchief is ideal.

Cheers,

• Like 1

On 14/07/2020 at 22:17, The Spadgent said:

ps. Another venom or is it a Vamp? 🧛🏼‍♂️

The one in the background is the same 1/32 Matchbox Venom kit that you're working on. It was build (badly!) years ago, never quite finished and is now my mule for testing new techniques - the most recent experiment was freehand camouflage spraying! I also have the Airfix Vampire T11 in my stash - I used to fly this aircraft myself at UK airshows, so have much affection for this little jet.🥰

The Spitfire is fast approaching the finishing line. Exhausts, propellor and undercarriage are all now attached, although the undercarriage struts are simply the worst design I've ever encountered - I don't think it could have been designed more badly! Some superglue has fixed them in approximately the correct position...

It has also been weathered and the new canopy is cut out ready for paint:

belly2.jpg

Matt varnish, canopy and pitot to complete, then it's done!🙂

• Like 3

On 14/07/2020 at 21:38, Johnson said:

I have saved canopies before with a careful polish with Brasso wadding. But it's spirit based and you can't do it for long before it does more harm than good. But if you've nothing to lose may be worth trying? A quick polish them buff with a clean cloth, an old cotton handkerchief is ideal.

Thanks for the tip Charlie. Unfortunately I don't have any Brasso wadding, so will try the new canopy option instead - if that doesn't work, Brasso wadding will be procured and tried! 😁

On 7/15/2020 at 4:40 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

My other issue at this late stage involves the canopy. There was some minor overspray on the inside, which I attempted to remove with white spirit. The paint came off, but the canopy is now slightly opaque:

Have you polished it with a microfibre cloth with nothing on it to check if this will come off before more aggressive processes? Is the canopy Futured? If not Tamiya polishes should work fine but if you don't have that try toothpaste on soft cloth or cotton bud.

8 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

The one in the background is the same 1/32 Matchbox Venom kit that you're working on. It was build (badly!) years ago, never quite finished and is now my mule for testing new techniques - the most recent experiment was freehand camouflage spraying! I also have the Airfix Vampire T11 in my stash - I used to fly this aircraft myself at UK airshows, so have much affection for this little jet.🥰

A mule? . Nooooooo. 🤣😋

maybe bring her back from the dead? 
you flew them? Wow! How amazing is that. 🤩🤩  ahem... lovely weathering by the way. 😇

Johnny

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

A mule? . Nooooooo. 🤣😋

maybe bring her back from the dead? 

Never say never! It certainly won't be a 'display' model (for one reason, the undercarriage is firmly up!) but it might join the Victor on my son's ceiling!

I'm calling this one done. Here's a quick shot; I will take some more tomorrow in decent light and post them in the gallery and FRI:

spit.jpg

Possibly over-weathered? I have a habit of doing that ATM... However, in my defence, the pictures I've seen from this era showed some pretty dirty aircraft - hopefully this is realistic?

Right, over to the Battle of Britain GB next, to build another Spitfire! The Mk.1A awaits...

• Like 5

She looks great! Maybe a touch over on the wings for me but it’s your kit and you can do what makes you happy. I’m loving the colours. 😀 deffo consider the reboot of the venom.  Looking forward to the RFI I’ll seek out your BOB build. 

Johnny

• Like 1