1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vb

I finished my first entry in this GB a few weeks ago - the 1/48 Airfix Seafire F.XVII:

Since then I have been getting a Lancaster and Buccaneer finished before starting a new kit - I’m getting more disciplined! 😂

Now they’re done I’m able to start my second model in this GB - the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vb:

spitvb.jpg

I’m looking forward to a more ‘classic’ Spitfire build this time. The folded wings on the Seafire model added a degree of interest (and as a bonus, requires less space to display!) but let’s be honest, the Seafire looks far better with the wings extended - the only option on a Spitfire! The Vb kit also has a much more detailed cockpit, so this one will be built with the cockpit door hinged open and the canopy slid back. Whilst not strictly accurate, I am contemplating building this model with the flaps extended but haven’t made the final decision yet...!

I should be able to complete this within five weeks! 😁

• Like 5

Busy weekend but I've made a start. The scheme I have chosen is this one - I like the fact that the colours are different from more usual dark green/dark earth. Apparently this aircraft was delivered to Malta in a dark earth/mid stone scheme, but the mid stone was then over-painted with a locally mixed dark grey colour:

spit-scheme.jpg

This is the same kit (and scheme) that @woody37 has built - if mine turns out to be anywhere close to his standard I will be a happy bunny!

I have cut some bits out for the cockpit and will get these painted and assembled first:

cp1.jpg

I'm not using any AM goodies, so will do my best with the Airfix offering!

• Like 4

The cockpit is coming together. This was the state of play yesterday, with most paint touch-ups completed, the rudder pedal sub-assembly is built, IP and oxygen bottles attached and everything has had a dirty wash:

cp2.jpg

Tonight saw a the last few paint details getting applied (although they might be difficult to see once the tub is buttoned up, even with the canopy and side door both open...)

The control column is attached at a jaunty angle (note to self - attach the ailerons with the correct deflections!) and the next job will be gluing all these sub-assemblies together:

cp3.jpg

There is a pilot seat too, but somehow that missed the photoshoot - to be honest, it was clamped in my tweezers waiting for the glue to set and I forgot to include it in the photo...!

• Like 5

I'm quite enjoying building this cockpit! Lots of detail included in the basic kit - certainly enough for me anyway! The sub-assemblies are now glued into place. Initially the control column and rudder pedals were fitted, followed by the huge lever on the left hand side:

cp4.jpg

The other side of the cockpit tub was then attached and firmly clamped whilst the glue set. The frame with the seat assembly dropped into place and then the frame behind this followed suit. As noted by @woody37 in his build thread, the tolerances are extremely tight - any excess paint must be scrapped off for the parts to fit correctly:

cp5.jpg

This entire unit is then glued into place against the fuselage side. I had my first attempt at making a harness from Tamiya tape too - it's by no means perfect, but adds something to the model:

cp6.jpg

The fuselage should be buttoned up tomorrow and then work on the wings will begin. It goes together quickly!

• Like 5

The two fuselage halves went together nicely enough, but when I attempted to fit the top fuselage there was a bit of a fit issue:

fus1.jpg

I sanded some plastic off the top of the instrument panel and also some off the base of the top piece:

ip.jpg

After that, it fitted together perfectly!

fuse2.jpg

Not too sure why it needed so much fettling...

Wings are next!

• Like 5

Here's how it looked after the tape was removed:

fix.jpg

I've applied some filler along the joints and this section should be finished soon.

So onto the wings... And one of the most convoluted methods I've ever encountered to attach the undercarriage. Not the best picture, but there are two small pieces of plastic attached to the front spar. The undercarriage struts are then glued onto these... It is very weak and very fiddly, but probably looks authentic when finished!

I also had a couple of minor construction issues in this area. For some reason, the right hand wheel well wall swivelled around after I had applied glue. I'm not sure how this happened, but I had to cut a section out and apply plasticard to rectify it. Because of this swivel, the rear spar did not fit properly and needed some trimming:

wing1.jpg

Once this was done the tops of the wings were fitted:

wings2.jpg

A session of filling and sanding the joints awaits, then I can glue the wings to the fuselage.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

Not too sure why it needed so much fettling...

Hi Matt,

It is a requirement of this kit. I have not found a way around it yet.

13 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

So onto the wings... And one of the most convoluted methods I've ever encountered to attach the undercarriage. Not the best picture, but there are two small pieces of plastic attached to the front spar. The undercarriage struts are then glued onto these... It is very weak and very fiddly, but probably looks authentic when finished!

Many pin this by drilling out the undercarriage leg and the linkage in the wing to give it the strength needed. Once done I actually do not mind this joint at all. In my current build I have done the usual although in this case I am using the Eduard legs because it's a conversion. Principal is the same. I use brass rod. Some use wire. You'll note I have removed the step. Most leave it and pin.

Spitfire_A58-84_Construction_44

Ray

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

hopefully it will be strong enough to sit on a shelf. 

Matt, Should be fine. First one I did, I did that way and it's still good. Ray 

• Like 1

A little more progress to report. The basic airframe is now complete and ready for priming:

final.jpg

Priming will have to wait until the rain stops though, as I'll be using a rattle can in the garden!

I had a bit of an issue with the transparencies... They looked quite good out of the box, but I thought I'd dip them in Future just to improve them as much as possible. When they had dried a slight residue was left on the plastic. I tried soaking them in Future again to try and remove it, but I am now wishing I had just left them alone - they looked better straight from the box!

• Like 2

Thi is looking exceptionally good... I have been following this and I love the little extras you are doing during the build... the additional little things in the wheel bays and so on. All adds up to a much better result. It is looking very nice indeed...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks Bill! Just working on the cannon joints - another area with a poor fit. I might get the primer on tonight if I'm lucky...

I found the same thing. These are nice kits, but there are a few head scratching moments!

Your build is looking very nice and I think you’ve chosen a really distinctive scheme. 👍

• Like 1

I have an airbrush again! I sprayed the underside first (sorry, no photos!) and then moved onto the upper surfaces. A coat of dark earth was applied, then I made some masks from self adhesive vinyl after scaling the painting diagram to 1:48 to use as a template. It was a bit laborious but it was definitely worth it to capture the demarcation lines correctly:

masks.jpg

I quite like the colour of the vinyl against the dark earth, but dark grey beckons as the final colour. That should look a bit different - dark earth and dark grey is a colour combination I've not seen before!

• Like 7