1/72nd F-86 Mk 6 Hartmanns Aircraft in Natural Metal

Another Virus Completion.

This is the Hobbycraft kit and I built in mostly out of box. I added a few "Sugar scoops" and added a few fuselage vents that were not handled well by the basic kit.

spacer.png

Painted with Alcad over decanted Tamiya Gloss Black. My go-to method for natural metal. NOTE..Im not big on real dirty aircraft especially a Pilot like Hartmann.

spacer.png

Finding the markings for this aircraft was a bit of a challenge but I ended up using Peddinghaus decals. I would have to say they required a bit of effort and the photos are very forgiving. I had to cut each decal very close to the detail as the clear was not as thin as I needed for Natural Metal. Also the white trim is very hard to see as you try to trim the decals close. They settled down very nice with Solvaset.

spacer.png

This is my 3rd attempt at this aircraft and I will be ok with this one. My grandson is flying the last one around the house.

spacer.png

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Comments always welcome 

Cheers

Bill

Edited by Wdedig
Typing errors corrected
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 2

Great representation of the original airplane. There was a story that the markings caused some to believe the airplanes were from an aerobatic team and not from an operational squadron.

Hi Bill,

this is a great model of a great plane flown by a great pilot!

Just great!!!

Congrat!

JR

Wow you made my day-------------

Because:

1.) You build one of my favourite jetfighters ever, the F-86

2.) You built it in german Luftwaffe scheme

3.) You built it in JG 71 markings

4.) You built it as the Triple One, most used by Commodore Oberst Erich Hartmann ( this time major )

thank you so much

Nicely done, and I do like them clean.  Was the F-86 his favorite "ride?"  I know that he was an advocate for Germany's purchasing the F-106, which to me seems the very antithesis of the F-86.

Thank You all for the kind words. I am a huge Hartmann fan and will continue to build his aircraft in numerous Scales. This aircraft is my best F-86 completion.(to date 😃).

Cheers All

Thanks Again

Bill

• Like 1

That’s stunning. I’m normally the opposite,  of keen on clean looking aircraft but wouldn’t change a thing to what you’ve done here. I really need to master using Alclad

Thanks All

I think the “Fresh Natural Metal “is a good representation of Eric Hartmann,s F-86. I am sure it’s not a duplicate of the actual weathering, but it is a representation I like for this pilot.
cheers All

Bill

Beautiful result Bill. What shades of Alclad did you use? I am especially impressed with the shiniest color. Any good tips you can pass on regarding using Alclad? Thank you for sharing.

I used the “Shiny Aluminum”as the base coat. I say Shiny because the label was destroyed but that was in the title. I added. Different panels to this base color.

Thanks for the compliments

Bill

Hello

This is a very nice kit and a hard work you made with these transfers.

When I was young I saw the Heller box and since then I have always wanted to build this scheme Heller F-86F

Now I wonder whether it could be easier to cut mask and paint the black and white triangles.

Thank you for sharing.

Patrick

Hi ,

Erich Hartmann would be very proud to see his plane as a model like this! For may taste it could be 10% more weathered, because it is very shiny. But that’s my personal meaning

Cheers 

Andy