Percival Proctor Mk. III - Dora Wings 1/72

sorry Ced - had to laugh at your latest adventures.  Great work on the instrument panel and throttley stuff and some nice scratching on the columns. 

A bit more work needed on your final approach though  (me and Ian have never done anything like that before, have we Ian?)

• Haha 7

Me Guv? No guv, it definitely weren't me! It must have been the uvver guy. 'e left just before you got 'ere!

Well maybe once or twice. Or quite a few times. Which makes it even funnier when someone else does it!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Which makes it even funnier when someone else does it!

Doesn't it just?!

Still, those new sticks will look much better than the kit ones Ced. When they're stuck in the right 'oles...!!

K

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I was going to say well done for those control columns. They are a huge improvement!

But seeing what followed I think "plonker" would be more apt! :oops:

Ian

:rofl2:

3 hours ago, hendie said:

sorry Ced - had to laugh at your latest adventures.  Great work on the instrument panel and throttley stuff and some nice scratching on the columns. 

A bit more work needed on your final approach though  (me and Ian have never done anything like that before, have we Ian?)

Thanks hendie - my error has been corrected. Tricky after the beating I gave myself but had to be done :) 

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Me Guv? No guv, it definitely weren't me! It must have been the uvver guy. 'e left just before you got 'ere!

Well maybe once or twice. Or quite a few times. Which makes it even funnier when someone else does it!

Ian

Twas you! I saw you! :D 

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Doesn't it just?!

Still, those new sticks will look much better than the kit ones Ced. When they're stuck in the right 'oles...!!

K

Thanks Keith :) Right holes below (fnaar!)

Column bases sliced off:

49979947248_88d9319423_z.jpg

…and put in the right place:

49979971678_d0f51ae933_z.jpg

A quick shot of internals so far:

49979991913_340b7d621f_z.jpg

Why did I have to drill those holes back on instruction page 2?

49973222111_c9c731e7ea_z.jpg

I think that might be another error in the instructions - it would make sense if it was holes for the other column and the seats? Ho hum.

Ready for a close up dry fit now:

49980010053_6222bf4d1a_z.jpg

The trailing edge of the wing doesn't sit down due to this excess:

49980011948_59cf07e401_z.jpg

…but once that was trimmed off, and a sliver taken off the back of the slot, the fit's beautiful:

49981011932_54e1dfc216_z.jpg

Before I do any more I need to chop out the slot in the starboard fuselage to fit the pitot (I guess) housing:

49980858382_cf75a65996_z.jpg

…and could see no reason not to glue it in:

49980098528_2b7e766fb8_z.jpg

I'll fit some Albion tube later.

With that done I could glue in the bulkhead:

49981037822_29fe257daa_z.jpg

… and dry fit the i/p. But wait, it won't fit. The locating pins, or are they gates, are over the edges:

49981120032_5b5a671829_z.jpg

Once they were chopped and the coaming fit checked I could trim the control columns to this:

49980902896_93f1b4545a_z.jpg

They've been painted now.

What's that?

Why am I chanting 'On the rudder, on the rudder'?

'cos that's where I put the flap lever I'd knocked off:

49980378243_9298834ed8_z.jpg

A dry fit showed that the fuselage halves don't quite fit - I think it's the locating holes being a bit small so I've drilled them out:

49980421703_4ed87c71ff_z.jpg

That's it for now.

Pretty close to closing up - once the paint is dry.

• Like 18

Nice

No, nothing to add except well done remembering the flap lever location.

I would have forgotten, probably had to make another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

A dry fit showed that the fuselage halves don't quite fit - I think it's the locating holes being a bit small so I've drilled them out:

49980421703_4ed87c71ff_z.jpg

I had exactly the same problem with the two Sword Kittyhawk III’s recently. I wonder if the holes fill in during the molding or if the molds are incorrectly sized. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Lovely work! Finished mine a few weeks ago and it went together very well but..... well worth test fitting the doors in the transparencies repeatedly...ask me how I know. Also regrettably they are very thick and unless you open a door or two you won’t see anything of the interior... the masks didn’t fit on mine either so you may be better using Tamiya tape.. good luck!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Bill, Giorgio, Ian and Cookie :) 

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I had exactly the same problem with the two Sword Kittyhawk III’s recently. I wonder if the holes fill in during the molding or if the molds are incorrectly sized. 

Weird isn't it Dennis? Always worth dry fitting, for sure :) 

12 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Lovely work! Finished mine a few weeks ago and it went together very well but..... well worth test fitting the doors in the transparencies repeatedly...ask me how I know. Also regrettably they are very thick and unless you open a door or two you won’t see anything of the interior... the masks didn’t fit on mine either so you may be better using Tamiya tape.. good luck!

Thanks for the warning - I'll check the fit on the clear parts and masks… I think PC had problems with his Lysander in that area too :) 

Some final shots of the internals before they vanish after close up:

49983542876_f8a2896732_z.jpg

49983019243_49a6e8d4d6_z.jpg

49983806667_49ecb02015_z.jpg

The levers are still there too:

49983553411_1038f807d1_z.jpg

Nervous about close up, as usual:

49983647476_dafbf676fc_z.jpg

The fit though, with care, is very good:

49983907847_589e0349ff_z.jpg

49983943977_e8b24a2ba0_z.jpg

The seats are a bit wobbly after their refitting. If they're not firm I'll pull them out and re-fit with some extra support.

• Like 14

Tip: If you do have to take out the seats just reset them on a little blob of 560.

It will grab like Gator's and stay out of sight, vanishing as it dries if any over/underspills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill :) The seats are firm (fnaar) thanks but tip stored for later use.

Hinges on the rudder are a bit oversized:

49984141611_84dc158d74_z.jpg

… but with careful trimming it went on nicely - nice and thin too.

The clear parts need a tiny bit of cleaning up but seem to fit well:

49984185551_4c239da8b0_z.jpg

There's a small bit of flash on the front of the top sections and, once removed, I think it'll close this small gap:

49984445072_a4dd21ddd3_z.jpg

Lovely fit at the back though eh?

• Like 21

Remember back in the Cat thread I expressed my envy over Crisp's new workstation and, thanks to @Andy G from EBMA, ordered a tool stand?

It arrived today:

49985033492_f64b5638b3_z.jpg

It's been 'in transit' for five days odd so, after carefully disposing of the outer packaging, I reckoned I was safe to open it.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

In no time I had this:

49984852806_e4e5506324_z.jpg

I wish my kits fitted together this well - nice stuff Andy :) 

All I have to do now is work out the most efficient way of getting this:

49984862546_d96f41ce80_z.jpg

…into this:

49984909656_c119a5fb31_z.jpg

The bins at the back need filling and the kit comes with special supports; Parts are supplied for 3 x brush bins, 3 x tool storage bins and 2 x plier supports; choose three.

I will, I will…

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

My problem with these pre-fabricated work stations is that none of them seem to fit my available space, or the stuff I want to put in them!

Ian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I’ve been considering some of the EBMA bits, too. My workspace needs rationalising.

I find myself in much the same position, perhaps EBMA could consider a Ced Special Tool station for those of us inclined to rash tool purchases.

• Haha 6

Glad it's finally arrived, Ced, I had thought at one point we had a problem as there were six other packages out of a total of eight that were 'in transit'.  To be honest Hermes have been pretty darned good during this Covid stuff and it's only the last week where they seem to have struggled.

As for storing other stuff or customising units to fit, drop us a line either on BM or through the contact page on the website.  We've done custom units for other customers and ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry Ced but if I had tea I would have spat it out when I saw where the control sticks were. I thought it was only my good self that did things like that. 🤪

glad you got it all sorted out in the end, they look spot on too. Excellent work.

Johnny.

ps. Nice 1:1 scale storage model you have there. 🤩

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Ian, Heather and John - looks like Andy might be busy :) 

14 hours ago, Andy G said:

Glad it's finally arrived, Ced, I had thought at one point we had a problem as there were six other packages out of a total of eight that were 'in transit'.  To be honest Hermes have been pretty darned good during this Covid stuff and it's only the last week where they seem to have struggled.

As for storing other stuff or customising units to fit, drop us a line either on BM or through the contact page on the website.  We've done custom units for other customers and ourselves.

Thanks Andy - it's certainly tidied up my bench and put tools and brushes closer to hand:

49986718703_b41f57f6cc_z.jpg

In 'beta test' and I may move things around a bit but it's nice to have things tidy :) 

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry Ced but if I had tea I would have spat it out when I saw where the control sticks were. I thought it was only my good self that did things like that. 🤪

glad you got it all sorted out in the end, they look spot on too. Excellent work.

Johnny.

ps. Nice 1:1 scale storage model you have there. 🤩

Thanks Johnny :) Yep, we all 'have our moments'!

9 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice progress on the kit - glad for you it mostly fits well :thumbsup:

And nice workstation too! :clap:

Ciao

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice to see the fuselage and canopy all nice and neat!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Giorgio and Adrian :) Yes, the fit on the kit is really good so far.

Now it's back on the tidier and more spacious bench:

49986765083_ef376a0409_z.jpg

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Andy - it's certainly tidied up my bench and put tools and brushes closer to hand:

49986718703_b41f57f6cc_z.jpg

In 'beta test' and I may move things around a bit but it's nice to have things tidy :) 

Thanks Ced, always good to see the product in use.

• Like 4

Very nice organiser Ced/Andy - I'd very much like one but it would mean I'd have no 'work' bench left! So all my stuff will have to continue living in the storage tower alongside!

Percy the Proctor is coming on well Ced!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1