Beginners models no 2 3 &4

spacer.pngspacer.pngSo I’ve posted  the 1st model earlier this week  alpine a110 rally

these are the current builds I’m undertaking

the nsr 500 just needs the decals finishing and a few details on the bars painting

this was built at the same time as the alpine and lots of similar mistakes were made I’m a bit disappointed with this

But it’s nearly done and from the other side of the room looks ok

the ducati 888 happy so far engine built and in frame trying to get carbon decals on silencers at the moment

bodywork is painted rattle can but will need wet sanding first attempt at that coming up

finally the Porsche which I’m building at the same time as the duke

engine parts painted and body painted same issues as ducatispacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2

Noticeable steps forward here :yes:

I know you mentioned decals on the Alpine, but a pin through that air bubble and a few generous applications of softening solution should help the decal on that Honda settle down some.

Bit more progress more decals added

i know the standard is not up to much compared to what’s on here 

i am simply blown away with the models on show

I am hoping to get pointers on improving

as such on the ducati seat where the decal drops in the panel recess it hasn’t quite gone all the way in 

what would be best here more solution or do I cut it or just leave it

there is also a split/crease just above the screw hole that will be covered with a number what would be best with that

On the Honda decals ,spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngthey have been a complete nightmare for me I need to trim some and touch a couple of spots up and I’ll be calling that done 

the Porsche has had a trial fit sits quite high but skills at the moment prevent me from trying to change that 

another week or so should see these 3 done and I can start another build from my “stash “ of 3

looks like I need to work on computer skills also as pics have ended up in the middle of a sentence

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update 

no 2 Honda nsr is now considered finished not particularly happy with the decals or paint 

but for 2nd go at a model I’ll take it looks ok from a distance 

I was considering stripping and repainting when I improve (hopefully)but I’ll leave it as is to remind me of my beginnings 

spacer.pngmodel no 3 Ducati 888 just a couple of decals to do  I’ve had a couple of issues managed to snap the handlebar off while mounting the fairing also lost a couple of bits of decal while fitting so I’ll need to try and touch up these

spacer.pngoverall much happier with this one 

no 4 the Porsche I’m going to try and decal this week

such a steep slow learning curve and making more mistakes than I’d like but I am enjoying the process 

so  the next build out of my stash of 3 will be the one with no decals why did I buy 4 race cars oh and I’ve just ordered another bike

not gonna learn unless I keep building them

so here’s the two almost finished bikes spacer.png

• Like 3

Update on my the Porsche then 

a couple off disasters to go along with my mistakes. Managed to break one door handle and lose a wing mirror for about an hour

but it’s all together now and decaled ,at some point it looks as though the bonnet has been dropped and the corner chipped off and completely vanished  oh well

so it’s a revellspacer.pngspacer.pngy martini rsr should be in white but I didn’t fancy that so it’s a martini rosso

just needs a couple of bits touching up and then I’ll try and clear coat all 4 models

quick question for the decal experts a couple of the Porsche decals would not lift of the backing ,but only in 1 tiny spot on each maybe 1 or 2 mm was holding and the backing looked bone dry coming out of the water bath ended up tearing 2 and losing small pieces  what causes this and is there a solution

Edited by Ottopv
Spelling
  • Like 2

If it was me (others may disagree) I wouldn't be adding a clear coat to that. You've got a decent enough finish on it as it stands (I assume you did some polishing as the finish seems much better than your photo at the earlier stage) and trying to clear when you've added all the clear bits, chrome and tyres is likely to spoil those. For me, the best time to add the clear is before you add anything else (of a different colour anyway) to the body.

This doesn't apply to any of the models you've done, but I don't know how familiar you are with mist coats. It's always a good idea to start with a couple of mist coats with any paint, but that's particularly the case when spraying over decals as some (Tamiya is one) tend to eat decals if you go too heavy.

Good result on the model though, if you compare that to the first one you did you should see quite a bit of progress. :yes:

Thanks Spiny I’ll perhaps leave them alone then I am quite happy with the 934 and the 888 both improvements over the first two

i did attempt a little wet sand before decals so maybe it worked

do I not need to put anything over decals to protect them

So youWould normally clear after paint/decals but before you add mirrors wipers etc 

I'd definitely say the wet sanding worked, definitely a better finish than the original photo. Even better, it looks as though unlike me (usually!) you haven't burned through the colour coat.

In terms of a clear coat over the decals, I don't think there's many people would argue that a clear coat will help protect them. But equally, I have kits from 30 years ago where the devals weren't covered and still look ok - they can be surprisingly robust if they're not in direct sunshine or exposed to harvest dust.

With your final question, I personally would normally clear as you say - after paint and decals but before adding all the auxillary parts. This is the stage at which I cleared my current project if it helps demonstrate this:

49931699342_aa10374e41_c.jpg

You might notice that I've put clear over the window rubbers. For most cars I would paint the rubbers after the clear coat, but with all the decals on this one I was concerned that masking over decals is likely to cause the decals to lift even with clear on top. I will go over the window rubbers with clear matt later to tone down the shine on there as it's much less noticeable if you don't have a good edge when using clear paint than when you have black paint.

That said, there's plenty of people that paint at different stages of their build so don't take this as gospel, just what works for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response and the advice very much appreciated

I will just touch up a couple of black bits and leave them alone call the first 4 done ready to move onto no 5 now

going to do a simple pick up with flat paint and no DECALS

Stupidly I have just ordered a RC213V bike which requires lots of paint ,masking and a nice gloss finish

only way to learn ,head first