B-Type Military Omnibus (Battle bus) MiniArt 1/35

Thank you very much @Ernst .

I started the weathering process using my usual mix of oils and pigments. There is normally a couple pieces of stupidity on my part in each build, and this time when spraying a heavily thinned coat to simulate the dust and dirt on the lower part of the vehicle I added far to much grey and had to hurriedly try to remove it with more thinners. The result being that I had to reapply a lot of the earlier weathering. It also meant that I had to go a little heavier with the effects than I would have liked. In the end I think looks okay so no harm done.

85w0qch.jpg?1

Still work in progress and the phone photo doesn't really show the effects that well but it does prove that I did do the underside even though it will never really be seen.

The upper deck received the same treatment. Again difficult to show in a phone photo but I'm happy enough with the way it has turned out.

o55xtcb.jpg?1

The upper deck has now been fitted to the lower one.

Miniart provide a couple of trunks/chests to be fitted to the front and rear platforms. Using oil paint over an acrylic base I finished them in a wood effect and I am thinking of leaving them like this to add a little more contrast to the khaki finish, but don't know weather they look a little out of place. I think will add some dirt and dust and see how they look then.

6ga0ViZ.jpg?1

You can see in the excellent photo below from the London Transport Museum collection just how tatty these boxes and indeed the whole bus became.

O94Hd4z.jpg

All that really remains to be fitted are the seats, stairs and a few small details so hopefully this build will be completed over the next couple of days. 

Wayne.

• Like 16

Looks fantastic Wayne,

the weathering on your bus looks spot on, the chest on the back looks really realistic. Going to be a cracking edition to your collection.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

The result being that I had to reapply a lot of the earlier weathering.

You'd never know as it looks great, and more to the point, realistic.

John.

• Thanks 1

Stunning work Wayne, it's the details like the broken glass and the wood-grain texture on top of a skillfully weathered vehicle. A joy to watch. It's a good new modeling wise that companies other than Tauro or Emhar finally start to make some ww1 era vehicles.

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once again thank you all for taking the time to comment and your encouraging words.

On 24/08/2020 at 10:15, vaoinas said:

As of the wooden trunk, I'd give it a bit more worn look and it would look just fine on the bus.

I agree Kristjan, I am not going to use the front one so I may experiment a little on that one and give it a real beaten up look.

On 24/08/2020 at 19:07, Ernst said:

Stunning work Wayne, it's the details like the broken glass and the wood-grain texture on top of a skillfully weathered vehicle. A joy to watch. It's a good new modeling wise that companies other than Tauro or Emhar finally start to make some ww1 era vehicles.

Thank you very much Ernst. It's an interesting subject and has been a great project to work on despite having to clean up all those sprue gates.

WW1 is definitely getting more attention in the modelling world. Copper State's line of armoured cars being a good example.

I really hope that Miniart expand on what they have done with the B-Type busses and Lorry to include the pigeon loft, mobile workshop or the mobile AA gun trucks.

Wayne   

• Like 2

On 26/08/2020 at 15:34, Longbow said:

Very well done !! It looks the part. 

On 26/08/2020 at 16:44, Terry1954 said:

Superb weathering and precision. I love the way this is evolving.

Terry

Thank you both very much!

• Like 1

Nearly there now with this one. All the parts are finally assembled and all of the details have been added.

RVHUzTBl.jpg?1 

e2Itq4Hl.jpg?1

I have a photo of a couple of these busses carrying a bicycle on the front platform. I thought this might make an interesting addition so I purchased one of the Masterbox kits.

Although the bike is from WW2 I'm guessing they hadn't changed too much.

It's actually a really nice little kit although it did reaffirm my love hate relationship with photoetch. The spokes were especially bothersome hence the odd bent one if you look close enough.

The only modification that I made was to make some springs for the seat and add a lens to the light.

qltGxoF.jpg

I have to say that I have really enjoyed making this model, the level of detail is truly excellent. The only downside was the amount of cleaning up and the choice of sprue attachment points which was at times frustrating.

The hand rails around the top make this a very fragile model to handle and I managed to break them a couple of times. I should probably have replaced them with brass rod but once it's in the display case it won't be a problem.

All that remains now is to convert my spray booth back to a photo both and take the finished shots. This process usually shows up a few flaws that the human eye seems to miss. Hopefully nothing that can't be sorted.

e5q4Xiy.jpg?1

My first WIP is now complete and I have to say that doing a one has certainly helped me to push on with getting this build finished. Hopefully it has been interesting enough to read but I would really welcome any advice on how to improve on it.

A big thank you to every one who has taken the time to like and comment and give advise.

Wayne 

• Like 17

On 02/09/2020 at 21:37, vytautas said:

Excellent work. Looks simply fantastic, great painting and weathering job!

On 02/09/2020 at 22:10, edjbartos said:

An absolutely beautiful piece of work Wayne, it’s all come together really well and love the addition of the bike. Really enjoyed following this build, well done...

Ed

On 03/09/2020 at 03:20, Vaastav said:

Great work. The bike is an especially nice touch, now off to the front it goes. 

On 03/09/2020 at 07:34, Bandsaw Steve said:

That’s great! And I love the bike! 

On 03/09/2020 at 07:42, Bullbasket said:

Superb job Wayne. The addition of that bike is a good move. The spokes make it.

John.

On 03/09/2020 at 08:35, Model Mate said:

fabulous job, it's been a real treat to see this come together

Thank you all very much for your generous feedback. I've just got to edit the final photos so hopefully I will be able to post in RFI soon.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2020 at 19:49, StuartH said:

That is an absolutely beautiful model. The bicycle could be a piece in itself.

You should be very proud. 👍

Thank you very much Stuart. I must admit I am pretty pleased with this one.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...