Hurricane at the Workshop

Hello modellers.

Hurricane at the Workshop

Finally finished this one after it sitting in both the bin and shelf for awhile.

1/48 Airfix Hurricane in scratch built shed and base.

The hanger lights work and the old chap in the corner, has a working welding set.

7jSauU.jpg

emmYDN.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Suprastar3000
pictures didn't show
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

This is amazing! I've just started building this kit today and was wondering how to display it-great idea! Love all the details and that squadron sign is ace- how did you do the lettering on that?! 

Hi Suprastar,

I haven't seen you on here for a while. But as always it's great to see your dioramas. Fantastic work, as always.

You say that the guy in the corner has a working welding set. I have some 1/35th scale sheets of mild steel that need to be lap welded. How much does he charge?

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, GRK said:

This is amazing! I've just started building this kit today and was wondering how to display it-great idea! Love all the details and that squadron sign is ace- how did you do the lettering on that?! 

Actually really please someone has spotted that sign. Thank you GRK, as from all the things I have scratch made, that came out the best.

But it actually was made a couple of years ago and part of another diorama based on the 19 Squadron P51 Mustangs. Unfortunately the diorama didn't stand the tide of time very well and all eventually went in the parts bin. The sign now has a new home, admittedly not historically correct one.

How i made the sign:

Original plastic base was roughed up and wood grain scratched in, then added white base colour (think I sprayed hair spray over it for chipping later)

Found some tiny stick on letters from a craft shop and carefully added the letters after working out the spacing on a computer.

Painted blue very thick and let dry, carefully lifted off the letter masks. The rough raised edges give a real rustic feel to the effect.

Then weathered with powders. Some of the details around the letters are missing but it kind of adds to the effect.

Thanks you.

42 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Suprastar,

I haven't seen you on here for a while. But as always it's great to see your dioramas. Fantastic work, as always.

Thank you mate. Real life issues has meant not much time or patience for modelling (or at least not good enough to show here) but getting back into the swing of things. Thanks for remembering me lol.

42 minutes ago, Badder said:

You say that the guy in the corner has a working welding set. I have some 1/35th scale sheets of mild steel that need to be lap welded. How much does he charge?

Rearguards,

Badder

This dude is a slow worker. Im guessing well beyond retirement age. He was been working on this hanger for months and by the looks of that roof he's still not finished.

Im sure a good storm will fetch off some of those roof panels. 😉

Here a vid. Hope it works.

• Like 4

Hi again,

Just saw your vid, which is great, but I have to point out your flame needs to be blue-white rather than red-white as I assume he's not cutting or welding Lithium, or Calcium. I'm hoping it's not a big job to switch your light source over?

Sorry to be such a pedant, but I thought it better to point it out now when the vid has had relatively few views.

Rearguards,

Badder

38 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi again,

Just saw your vid, which is great, but I have to point out your flame needs to be blue-white rather than red-white as I assume he's not cutting or welding Lithium, or Calcium. I'm hoping it's not a big job to switch your light source over?

Sorry to be such a pedant, but I thought it better to point it out now when the vid has had relatively few views.

Rearguards,

Badder

Is he electric arc welding or using an acetylene flame to weld? When I was a kid, I've seen my Uncle Ray use the gas torch method.

Chris

9 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi again,

unfortunately the lighting controller is buried under the model table and floor so not much hope of getting to those LEDs.

The unit was from a model railway set so i didn't get a choice of colours.

*scratch head! Im going to use the 'artistic license' card for the second time on this build.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, Suprastar3000 said:

unfortunately the lighting controller is buried under the model table and floor so not much hope of getting to those LEDs.

The unit was from a model railway set so i didn't get a choice of colours.

*scratch head! Im going to use the 'artistic license' card for the second time on this build.

You should be okay then, so long as the inspectors don't come around and find that your license is a forgery!😉

At the end of the day, it's still a nice effect.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bedford said:

Great diorama, I really love the mood.

How did you the side and roof panels ?

Thanks Bedford - Appreciated.

Combination of premade foil sheets the model railway guys use and pie tin bases from tesco.

I have a tool that makes the foil into the little corrugated strips that I cut with scissors.

Painting was simply different shades of aluminium and gun metal and sea salt crystals to mask the weathered marks and a lighter tone sprayed on top. The outer edge was also painted slight dark to add  too the grime look.

Then weathering powders.

Lots of great tutorials on you tube.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 4:33 PM, is it windy yet? said:

Nice layout, clean and easy to take in. Plus my favourite feature, not overcrowded with figures. Good job here. 

Thank you.

I had painted some figures for the model but as you say, decided not to include them as it looked too cluttered. The only guy is the old dude in the back you can hardly see.

8 hours ago, Capri3 said:

Great wee diorama. Like the 19 squadron 'blue toon' sign, nice detail.

Thank you. 

Technically No. 19 Squadron used  Spitfire's at Duxford until 44. Then based at Peterhead they had the Mustangs which is what the Sign was originally made for,... that diorama didn't go to plan and now the sign has found a new home.