Steel rule

RobL

Hey all

Probably a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I can get a good solid steel rule from online for not too much (about a fiver?)?  I bought one on eBay a couple of years ago but it turned out to be quite flexible, which is not good imo for cutting straight on soft surfaces....

Brand/make to look out for would be good to know.

Thanks in advance.

My 30cm one is from a company called Silverline and is hardened stainless steel. Small amount of flex in it but I've never noticed a problem.

No idea on cost I'm afraid as no idea where I got it from or when

Helix here too - with rubber grippy bit on the back for non slip - a quid or so from ASDA of all places..

• Like 1

If you're only using it as a straight edge for cutting you could do what I've done & use a length of Aluminium 'T' section. (approx 20 x 25 mm & 1 m long)

Attach a length of 'Wet & Dry'/Emery paper to the flat with double sided tape to make it none slip.

T section makes it virtually inflexible.

It has proven sufficiently resistant to damage when cutting with a scalpel, the upright protects the finger tips from acidental slicing.

The length and abrasive also caters for flattening large areas or filing long straights.

• Like 1

No, hairystick, unfortunately not.

Anyhow thanks guys, I'll pick one of those Helix one's up on eBay in due course.  Has to be better than the one I bought, it came in a set of 2, 12" and 6", and I'm sure they were made for measuring the outside of large pipes because they're as bendy as a bendy doll.   Chinese "steel"...

Edited by RobL