1/48 EE Canberra T17 - Airfix with Alleycat conversion

Excellent work on the Canberra, Jamie! 👍 The painting looks great, same with the roundels.

On 05/08/2020 at 11:12, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This is my first ever door frame/hanging. My next one will be better...

Looks great, top notch work. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely detest decals. The big ones aren't so bad but stencils are my absolute dread for all models. I've been doing one or two at a time since yesterday morning between reading a 1000 page technical report and devising a work breakdown structure to execute scope described in it. I had to raid another Canberra to get extra lines for the wings as they're too short on the Airfix decal sheet. They're glossier than the background paint. They don't appear to be silvering in real life although the refuelling points look that way in this photo as do the ejection seat warning triangles.

resized_73844dd7-9723-48e4-9a44-3d512f03

I also noticed that the 360 squadron motif on the fin shown on the instructions isn't on the Alleycat decal sheet so I'll draw that myself in Illustrator. Likewise the smaller serial numbers are only printed as "665" - you have to cut the "WH" away from the serial decals for another airframe on the sheet. A bit weird, but ok.

• Like 16

Looking good! It looks like we're at about the same stage with exactly the same builds, though I'm doing a hemp one. I prefer the camo but as I already have a camo PR9 and intend to do a TT18 I thought hemp would be more interesting. 

I had the same issue with the Airfix walkway lines not being long enough. Very strange. I must be one of the few modellers that enjoy doing all the stencils! Not in one go though usually.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

This one's on the Shelf of Doom because the Airfix stencil decals silvered badly and it looks rubbish. I have other Airfix Canberra's but they have Airfix decals and they're probably just as rubbish.

If I partially strip this back, is anyone aware of a source for alternative stencils? The Alleycat decals were fine by the way - it's just the stencils that have ruined it.

resized_e2029959-07bf-4152-93d0-588c72df

As above. I'd still like to finish it, but there's no point without a new source of (better) stencils - the main ones at least. The wings I can rub back with abrasives and the fuselage stencils can be either done likewise or just blown over with paint. I think I can do it without disturbing the serial numbers etc. The roundels were as you know airbrushed on using masks I made myself so it would be simplicity itself to run off another set of masks for those.

• Sad 2

On 06/07/2021 at 19:36, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

This one's on the Shelf of Doom because the Airfix stencil decals silvered badly and it looks rubbish. I have other Airfix Canberra's but they have Airfix decals and they're probably just as rubbish.

If I partially strip this back, is anyone aware of a source for alternative stencils? The Alleycat decals were fine by the way - it's just the stencils that have ruined it.

resized_e2029959-07bf-4152-93d0-588c72df

As above. I'd still like to finish it, but there's no point without a new source of (better) stencils - the main ones at least. The wings I can rub back with abrasives and the fuselage stencils can be either done likewise or just blown over with paint. I think I can do it without disturbing the serial numbers etc. The roundels were as you know airbrushed on using masks I made myself so it would be simplicity itself to run off another set of masks for those.

spacer.png

Having exactly the same problems with my PR.9. It seems like it doesn’t matter how many coats of Klear you throw at it, those stencils do not want to settle. 

Don’t give up!

Ben

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ben Hartmann said:

spacer.png

Having exactly the same problems with my PR.9. It seems like it doesn’t matter how many coats of Klear you throw at it, those stencils do not want to settle. 

Don’t give up!

Ben

I think what we both need is Canberra Stencil Set by Model Alliance No. 489018, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I think what we both need is Canberra Stencil Set by Model Alliance No. 489018, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. :(

Rare as Hens’ teeth that sheet, its quite old. 
Hope you have better luck than me Jamie!

All The Best

Ben

On 7/10/2021 at 4:06 PM, Gondor44 said:

Why not make masks and spray the roundels instead?

Gondor

Hi, I did - I made the masks, made a post war BS381C-110 Roundel Blue to add to my paint range for it, sprayed the roundels and they're absolutely fine - it's the Airfix stencil decals which have ruined the model :)

Paint or spray the stencils on, if you can remove the old stencil decals that is, I normally put fine tamiya tape down where the stencils are, then use that as a guide before putting wider tamiya tape down, at least that way you know you have it in the correct position, and also run some Klear on the edge to prevent paint creep

Hi Jamie

Not sure which particular Airfix Canberra kits/decals you have but I'm supposing those decals must come from the pre/early Hornby Airfix era when quality of decals were an Achilles Heel. Things should have improved with more recent Airfix reboxings of the kit since Cartograf generally make them for Airfix now. Not much by way of Canberra after market decals - Model Alliance seemed to capture the market when the Airfix 1/48 Canberra was issued back in the day including a specific stencil sheet. I think the best bet might be to get hold of a decal sheet from the more recent Airfix Canberra B(i).6/B.20 release (A10101a - 2016) which includes stencils. Maybe someone has a spare or it could be obtained from the Airfix Spares department (at a price...).     

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/2/4/1003624-76-instructions.pdf

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kev67 said:

Paint or spray the stencils on, if you can remove the old stencil decals that is, I normally put fine tamiya tape down where the stencils are, then use that as a guide before putting wider tamiya tape down, at least that way you know you have it in the correct position, and also run some Klear on the edge to prevent paint creep

I think painting warning triangles and Cut Here markings are probably beyond my skillset...

As luck would have it, @Stew Dapple did some top shelf eBay stalking and found not only the Model Alliance stencils decal sheet but also MA-48144 Fighter Canopy Canberras in foreign service decal sheet and with a complete sealed B(I)8 kit attached. I just won it 10 minutes ago for £24 which I'm very happy with!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

As luck would have it, @Stew Dapple did some top shelf eBay stalking and found not only the Model Alliance stencils decal sheet but also MA-48144 Fighter Canopy Canberras in foreign service decal sheet and with a complete sealed B(I)8 kit attached. I just won it 10 minutes ago for £24 which I'm very happy with!

Wow - excellent outcome. Have you maybe considered doing the Lottery today? It looks like your luck is in :wink:

Rich 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I think painting warning triangles and Cut Here markings are probably beyond my skillset...

I was more talking about the thin stripes on the wings really, silvering usually occurs if the decals are not applied to a gloss paint surface though