1/48 EE Canberra T17 - Airfix with Alleycat conversion

I've scribbled on the camouflage demarcations with a pencil then started with the darkest paint, the dark green.

resized_726ffa6c-ef2a-448e-956a-1fed9fb3

resized_d4092db4-d7bb-4e02-b49c-cbba79c3

Same camera, absent the incandescent lamps and a white background changes its appearance completely:

resized_3fda7534-18c7-47f1-95a0-31413171

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Smoooooth.

You painted that free hand didn't you?

Must practice more…

I did but you already know how I tend to do it :)

I used cellulose thinners for this one for super speedy drying with every intention of rolling straight into the Dark Sea Grey but instead ended up making adjustments to a lawn mower and tinning up 8 litres of paint and spraying another 384 lids so I didn't exactly get round to it!

I love annual leave. It's so nice to be able to relax 😂😂

• Like 1

Back to pieces momentarily - I cleaned up the tip tanks which come with the AlleyCat conversion. It says these are licensed from Belcher bits and from what I can see they certainly look better than the kit items, but looking at John's SIG page photos there appear to be at least 3 different types, including basic tanks like these with a raised seam above the nose, as well as versions with flats on the lower sides mid-length and at roughly the 4 and 8 o'clock positions, and then versions like the latter but with rectangular holes in the flats. The latter ones appear to be smooth on top (i.e. no seam). There are photos on his SIG page showing a T17 carrying the basic ones so that's what I'll do since frankly I don't know what the other ones are.

resized_439586e9-ea9f-489b-99ba-9c8da37e

Quite unlike the rest of the conversion, both my tanks are rather high on the piety front, and have so far had two goes with filler since this photo

resized_1cfd65d1-035b-4d15-a545-24b63a54

Keen to keep moving because my mind is drifting forwards to a Movie Stars build thread with a new kit inbound to support it, I have cut all the undercarriage parts and doors from their industrial sized sprue gates and cleaned them all up ready for painting. As far as I can tell the wells and doors would be white by the time I'm modelling this, but the key thing at the present is to get everything that needs to be Light Aircraft Grey ready for spraying at the same time as the rest of the model.

resized_6eca2305-4251-489c-884a-6a1f2b84

I quickly broke both nosewheels off my first Canberra, so am keen to avoid that this time...

I drilled a 0.5mm hole through the axle thus:

resized_333ed321-3e6a-486c-beae-eb564dbf

And pressed in a 0.5mm length of Albion Alloys brass rod.

resized_55eae616-9ec6-435a-98fe-8839f00f

• Like 5

Hoping for more positive location of the tip tanks I marked up and drilled holes for locating pins which were intended to fit the kit's underwing locating holes. Some of the sprue runner in the kit proved to be a perfect fit for the kit's locating holes so short lengths of that were used.

resized_79533622-abbb-4944-ad00-5c592dfa

... which were superglued in accordingly

resized_d4f25e71-3ea5-4225-82df-6442b4a2

Resulting in a decent push fit, although they'll need glued on to be properly secure.

resized_156cb9b8-b577-429d-919d-5aed3831

• Like 11

T.17s could also be fitted with special tip tanks with chaff dispensers in them, that might be what you mean with seeing various designs. 

That upper ridge seems  a bit too prominent to me, but could just be down to how it appears in the pics?   It should run on the inboard side of the light, it might not show a lot on the kit but if those resin tanks are handed at all it will make a difference, from memory I think it is a cable run to feed the tank tip nav light.   

This is a handy shot for scaling, https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=186268731

Superb work going on here Jamie, lovely paint and detail work going in to this Canberra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah, right, I've probably got these wrong handed then so fortunately they're not glued on. Unfortunately a primer coat on them just now reveals a surface similar to the moon's, so I need to spend a bit (a lot?) more time with Mr Surfacer to get them up to snuff. The ridges are quite prominent so I will look at reducing them a bit also, given that the tip tanks need a lot more work. I'm going to hold off on the belly of the aircraft until the tanks are ready. I know my weaknesses and the tanks will simply never get fitted if they fall too far behind the rest!

Thank you for the information on the chaff dispenser. Now you mention it, one can imagine that being what those rectangular openings were for :)

• Like 2

Not much to report whilst sorting out these tip tanks, but whilst I was painting the same colours on another model I painted up most of the undercarriage parts and, quite uncharacteristically, put them in a plastic box rather than leave them in a heap on the modelling bench only to wonder where 25% of them went at a later date.

resized_ec069ab7-1b1a-4160-b445-f66bf359

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I recently bought the Mikro Mir T.17 (in 1/72nd scale) so it's nice to see what a T.17 looks like built up. I like it! You've done a fine job on yours - I don't know what it is, but I seem to really like those 'nose-job' Canberras. I have one T.11 (soon to be two), a Short SC.9 (also an AlleyCat conversion, but this in 1/72nd scale), and the T.17. And I also have the B-57G, which may have the weirdest, certainly the ugliest nose of the lot, in my opinion. Oh, I do have a bog-standard B.2, and a B(I).8 also.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I recently bought the Mikro Mir T.17 (in 1/72nd scale) so it's nice to see what a T.17 looks like built up. I like it! You've done a fine job on yours - I don't know what it is, but I seem to really like those 'nose-job' Canberras. I have one T.11 (soon to be two), a Short SC.9 (also an AlleyCat conversion, but this in 1/72nd scale), and the T.17. And I also have the B-57G, which may have the weirdest, certainly the ugliest nose of the lot, in my opinion. Oh, I do have a bog-standard B.2, and a B(I).8 also.

Regards,

Jason

That's a lot of Canberras, but I think I know what you mean. There's an extreme simplicity to the B.2's shape which makes it quite elegant, and the nose-job ones have a sort of weird juxtaposition of simplicity and fussiness that somehow kinda works!

I think the B(I).8 is my favourite though but I'm really not happy with the one I already built. It was the first model I built and finished after a long hiatus of going to the RAF, moving to a 2-bedroom place with nowhere to airbrush etc and, well, it doesn't evoke those moody RAF Germany photographs I have in my mind. I'll have to get another one one of these days. In truth, all this rescribing hasn't been too much of a chore, and that's from someone who doesn't enjoy rescribing things. Half the battle is working out where they need to be and there are other examples to copy.

I hope you post some photos of yours when you start work on them :)

• Like 4

Yes, I seem to be on a bit of a Canberra kick lately. The standard Canberra is indeed a rather simple, elegant design, and perhaps it's a certain contrariness in me that makes me like those odd 'nose-job' types. I think the B(I).8 may be my favourite Canberra also. I used to have the old Frog kit, now long since lost. My B-57G is actually built and partially painted, but I have so many irons in the fire right now who knows when I'll get back to it. When I finish it, I will try and post some piccies of it on here. It will be of interest simply for being a model I've actually completed.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Superb job on that undercarriage Jamie, very convincing treatment, especially those main wheels.

Funny how Canberras can do things for the memory, I was brought up with TT.18s in the circuit, and seeing pictures of 7 Sqn ones really bring back feelings.  The B(I).8 is a favourite of mine, something to do with seeing them in pictures, but too exotic (and recently retired) to see one in real life, sadly.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Holy tip tanks Batman

resized_55fc7933-e17b-42bb-87d4-2063e9ec

These are probably the most bubbly castings I've ever dealt with although far from the worst castings insomuch as once sorted they will be useable unlike some I've bought in the past.

I'm lucky to have three sets of the original Belcher Bits castings for these tanks and as usual they are 'small, but perfectly formed'....

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 1

Tip Tanks et al

Just a clarification. I do not like to speak ill of other manufacturers, so I won't here, but let me be clear. When it says those tip tanks were licensed from Belcher Bits, it means the original masters were supplied by Belcher bits. All casting is done by Alley Cat, so I'm not taking any responsibility for the bubbly castings illustrated here :)

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Tip Tanks et al

Just a clarification. I do not like to speak ill of other manufacturers, so I won't here, but let me be clear. When it says those tip tanks were licensed from Belcher Bits, it means the original masters were supplied by Belcher bits. All casting is done by Alley Cat, so I'm not taking any responsibility for the bubbly castings illustrated here :)

Mike Belcher, Belcher Bits

Hi Mike,

I hope you didn't think it were a criticism of your work :)

To be fair to AlleyCat also, it really wasn't obvious how bubbly these were until removed from the casting blocks either. Sometimes this happens. We deal with it.

All of which reminds me - I need to chase you up for an invoice for those Liberator GR.V bits we were recently in dialogue about and maybe a spare set of Lancaster engines for my upcoming Movie Stars project which I think I'm about to crack open the first box for.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Time for an update, albeit a small one.

We've closed our webstore for 2 weeks to both catch up with trade orders and sort out a headache with domestic postage (or more specifically, the bills coming in approx 5x higher than agreed in the contract in that we've been billed £20 "extended area charge" for every. single. package. sent over the last 5 weeks. Not happy!).

In addition, I've had a response 2 months late from Financial Ombudsman Services that our insurer has "rejected [FOS's] views on [our] case" to paraphrase slightly and that I'll get an update no later than 31st July, so going by the 5th May deadline that's the end of September. Nevertheless, I bought a pile of timber with some of the last of the not-sufficient insurance money and started making the interior joiner finishings myself. This is my first ever door frame/hanging. My next one will be better...

resized_acaf06c9-a422-43b0-90bb-baa0e542

Yesterday I got the Light Aircraft Grey on the Canberra though. Usually I'd update threads as the paint is drying but this time I went and did other stuff instead.

resized_54986338-f9e3-4227-abed-d5cc2715

resized_863d7a1e-a592-4c5a-a31d-53d175ce

resized_a2070b72-1252-4952-bc49-9d2985b8

• Like 9

I hope you get things sorted out soon Jamie - I feel for you, having to deal with disinterested people on the 'phone who have no power to sort out the problem but LOTS of scripts telling them how to deal with the growing number of complaints… VERY frustrating!

Nice door and Canberra though, at least there are some positives to concentrate on.

Best wishes and support coming from here :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1