1/48 EE Canberra T17 - Airfix with Alleycat conversion

Hi folks,

I needed a quick build and fancied something which evokes my mental image of the Cold War era RAF. I had a pair of 1/48 Canberras in the stash, one of those because I forgot I already had one. ?e've all done it. I hope...?

I purchased the T17/T17A conversion from Alleycat along with their resin engine nacelle fronts. I built an Airfix B(I)8 previously when I was, frankly, pretty mediocre (who shouted "you still are" from the back?) and these were a bit ropey. @canberra kid gave me advice on the ejection seats recently and based on that I'm using the kit items with Eduard pull handles. With so much black inside it's debatable how much effort it's worth putting into a Canberra cockpit, especially for a so-called "quick build".

The parts arrived quickly from Alleycat, and I have made a start.

First of all, I have been a little distracted lately coordinating a redundancy consultation process at my day-job which, if you've never done it, is probably worse than when I was made redundant previously. We've also bought a Cricut Maker, and the very first thing I've done is draw up some masks for my dad who wants to build a Phantom in a particular scheme but doesn't have decals. This was as good a first project as any, and I have spent time both tinning paint which is selling alarmingly faster than I can replace it without @Stew Dapple's or indeed my dad's help during lockdown, as well as preparing some illustrations for a new book which is otherwise secret not entirely mine to share, and tinkering with models in between.

Some stencil artwork (coloured in to help me figure out what I'm doing, but what gets cut is just the vector drawing outlines - it looks all pixel-y here saved as a JPG). I expect I'll improve with practise but my dad's pleased with it so far :)

13ef2e6c-53f0-4d88-b612-d470457b0fbd.jpg

Anyway, Canberra.

The Alleycat conversion comes with a nice looking (I'll proclaim them good once I've used them, but have no reason to doubt them right now) decals for 3 colour schemes. The hemp aircraft with red tail looks attractive on the instructions, but I'm always on a half-hearted lookout for a PR9 so if I find one of those in one of the old s/h kit Steptoe & Sons type traders at Telford or ScotNats I'll do that one hemp instead - and it was the green & grey I had in mind from the beginning. Whether it will be fresh and glossy or old, matt and a bit tired looking is something I can decide a bit later...

resized_3237043d-ab9b-44bd-9033-d4822bad

The best way to start a quick build is to immediately get out the razor saw and hack the roof off.

resized_dd9d09cd-06df-4696-a415-7b0aa344

resized_29cbcf9e-7e0f-4ede-9302-33c2ca77

The new clear resin lid is nice, but mine was a little splayed out at the aft end and about 3mm too long so both problem and solution presented themselves simultaneously.

resized_f84541a2-ef44-46a3-a6ca-1294418f

resized_217899bd-e58d-4f9a-a3cc-e5834a71

I trimmed about 2mm off the front and 1mm from the rear of it, then glued on a plasticard bulkhead at the aft end which I traced from the kit fuselage diameter at the cut line. This little bulkhead was CA glued to the clear resin piece such that it pulled the aft end in to shape.

resized_194e22f2-f92e-4fda-9cbe-fc77cb92

resized_401e1e6d-429a-4cdb-90cd-9096b63f

Now we're just about there:

resized_e4f88aab-722b-4907-9f35-1fcd0e02

The engines are very nicely cast. The casting blocks are really thick and my forearms were aching by the time I'd sawn through one of them - due to the shapes involved I couldn't come up with anything except the Finger Vice(TM), so I did one 2 nights back and the other last night.

resized_d8877ca4-3f83-40a5-b70e-329de43b

They fit really well however once cut

resized_b9395156-2295-443b-9f31-dbec20e2

As you will see there's a small amount of packing needed each side but the contours match the wings perfectly and that really is best case scenario here and easily less work than blending in the kit parts.

The jet pipes have been added too. These have quite a ropey relationship with the rather flimsy trailing edges of the wings. Once the styrene cement has done its stuff I shall run medium CA into the gaps with the trailing edges of the wings.

resized_e9100870-8fd4-4985-bcb3-08be804c

I've started basic painting of the cockpit. I was going to add some cabling etc, then gave my head a wobble and realised it's a waste of time in the main. Perhaps a few bits around the pilot's seat might be visible if I model the crew hatch open, but otherwise nope. Some hydraulic tubing and cabling in the wheel wells may have more merit. The photos on canberra kid's website are very valuable here:

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/

resized_9c2d6253-ecfd-465e-aece-8a57205f

Which brings me up to about now. Again, in the interests of a quick build, I have realised that the tailplanes have entirely the wrong relationship with the fuselage, and since I'd heard some good things, like supporting small businesses and wanted to try this one out, I have ordered a set from Phase Hangar resin a day or two ago.

https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/48001-1-48/products/48034-ee-canberra-tail-correction-all-airfix-1-48-kits

IMG_5166_large.JPG?v=1516729145

I can work on the cockpit, undercarriage and cleaning up the wings and engines whilst I await them.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I can't express my inner rage at the casual ease with which you razor-sawed the whole cabin roof off, so tidily, and with a breezy impression of confidence that you could not possibly be about to ruin a perfectly good kit :lol:

Hopefully I'll be able to get up there sooner rather than later, and I won't even skive and whinge like I usually do this time :) 

Cheers.

Stew

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I can't express my inner rage at the casual ease with which you razor-sawed the whole cabin roof off, so tidily, and with a breezy impression of confidence that you could not possibly be about to ruin a perfectly good kit :lol:

Hopefully I'll be able to get up there sooner rather than later, and I won't even skive and whinge like I usually do this time :) 

Cheers.

Stew

You're looking at this all wrong my friend. Had I cocked it up it would merely have been quietly substituted for the second kit and we'd have said no more about it :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

Got this one in my pile do too at some point so, if you don't mind, I'll pull up a seat and see how it goes together.

Currently building the B(I)8 which is pretty agricultural but fun so far.

Pete

• Like 1

Not my era.

Not my scale.

Jamie build - I'm in! :popcorn:

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The best way to start a quick build is to immediately get out the razor saw and hack the roof off.

Ah, that's where I'm going wrong then! :D 

Nice solution to the canopy problem

• Haha 1

If cutting up a giant Canberra and using resin constitutes a 'quick build', what on earth do you consider a difficult one?! How come everyone else is so much better at this modelling lark than me!? 😡

Fantastic subject by the way, absolutely love the Canberra. I remember when we used to drive to Norfolk for family holidays and often stopped at Wyton on the way for lunch while I got all the reg numbers of the Canberras parked out in the open. If only we still had an air force like that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guys I'm simultaneously amused, flattered and yet distressed at what I read because I consider myself fairly mediocre really and there's nothing I can do that anyone else couldn't pick up, improve upon and surpass!

Do you think it's worth having a bit of a "webinar" about stuff perceived as a bit risque such as cutting the roofs of model cuts and stuff like that? It's not difficult now I know how to do it, although freely admit to some grotesque efforts in the past but I had nobody to show me how to do it. There were plenty photos in magazines of it done, but all that really did was highlight how inept I was. I found making a few vacuum formed kits helpful in the long run.

If there's an appetite we could arrange a Zoom or Teams meeting and share practical tips...?

• Like 4

Nice idea Jamie - how long would that Zoom be?!!

I'd like some more 'how Jamie does it' videos though…

Dunno - I'm shooting from the hip here, so to speak! An hour maybe? I'm thinking evenings or weekends and if we've got stuff still to talk about at the end of it we could do another. I'm envisaging something with a sort of agenda but loosely, not just me or A.N. Other on broadcast droning on all night. It might be wise at first at least to come up with a running order offline or perhaps just 2 or 3 of us have a yap to agree it. That could let whoever is happy to demonstrate something clear their pigsty of a modelling space and dig out a suitable victim from the stash etc. If we were proper winging it you could be sat for 45 minutes whilst I look for my razor saw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I perceive that Canberras seem to be parked mostly with the flaps fully retracted. Am I on safe ground following suit?

I should think so: keep FOD at bay😁👍.

• Like 1

I did a couple of mods copying John's previous Canberra threads, namely adding the tubular cross member behind the pilot's seat as well as the circular back end of the fuselage cut out below the bubble. Whilst it's good to know they're there, it was an utter waste of time as nothing is visible. I'm not going to waste any more time on the cockpit of this thing!

resized_3be9dd6f-db3d-406d-9edd-47480dc6

resized_34de1a58-3e39-4a8a-ad60-eb31174a

resized_47c1e7a6-5f97-4324-a46a-49491241

resized_bc1c9be3-1b00-4fa9-b291-442fff10

• Like 13

After tinning some paint earlier this morning, I decided to tackle the bomb bay doors which I recall weren't a stellar fit last time I built an Airfix Canberra.

I tacked each end on using medium CA applied with a needle and some zipkicker thus

resized_3cae6455-cfa1-4f4d-ab84-251c6cee

resized_894b3266-c26e-431b-ab53-cbc06351

Then Tamiya Extra-Thinned the join between each end.

I added Eduard handles to the bang seats and scratched some needles onto the instrument panel faces with a blade before glazing with gloss varnish. I think this will indeed do as very little can be seen as I hope the audience will agree!

resized_84462f59-5980-414c-a5d5-36a4d7ae

Btw that awful "paint" finish isn't paint. It's just from the resin casting - I brush painted the inside matt black so you're seeing the texture on the outside of the clear resin

resized_29040638-ca92-4a69-a180-1821363c

resized_0fb3d567-0c82-486a-ac47-66acb591

resized_35e3ba39-e75a-4712-9d96-37221b17

resized_f07e4f01-ae3a-4e95-a756-a0eee02f

See? No? Me neither...

I shall tackle the panel lines next I believe whilst waiting on my new tailplanes coming from the USA.

• Like 12

Lovely work Jamie, not sure how I missed this. I do like a T.17.

In case your tailplanes take a while to urn up there are other fixes, but more fiddly!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

Making some good progress Jamie. I did the same with my bomb bay doors because they really don’t look like they would fit well if you follow the instructions. It’s definitely going to tempt me to follow my build up with this or a TT18. 

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Nice progress Jamie, it's good to see two Canberra's on the go! Are you going to re-scribe the bomb bay doors, to represent the T.17 ones? 

John

Hi again John,

Is this a typical representation? Am I correct in interpreting that there are no longer hinged doors split down the centreline but instead the bomb bay is a one-piece unit lifted into the aircraft?

1501425-large.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi again John,

Is this a typical representation? Am I correct in interpreting that there are no longer hinged doors split down the centreline but instead the bomb bay is a one-piece unit lifted into the aircraft?

1501425-large.jpg

Close Jamie, the new 'door' is a solid center beam where the intaks are with 2 removable panels eatch side I'll post you some drawings this evening.

John

• Thanks 1