Tamiya 1/12 Lola T70 Mk3

Right, I've got to do it and bite the bullet. Spent enough time looking and praising others work, so time to post one of mine.

First, the caveats: Return to modelling after many, many years, so I will not class this as a very good build, no more than 7/10. This is my second car since restarting, preceded by three planes, Phantom, Tornado and SU27.

So, it's Tamiya's big Lola, acquired from EBay at a reasonable price. I remember seeing this in shops way back when and thinking "Wouldn't it be nice".

As I say, build's not brilliant, main reason for biting is that it sits on the end of my desk and I think the colour scheme looks good, better than Surtees Royal Blue with the white arrow.

Yes, I know they never raced in this scheme, but they might have done if Ford hadn't muscled in. There is/was one competed in this scheme, Google "manuel pereira t70" and there are images - he hill climbs it in Portugal.

Also, don't anybody say "that's not prototype". I've Googled numerous images of these and have discovered that virtually every one now is different.

So, gentle comments, please!

49967171677_a97ea84a37_c.jpg

49966897836_dd04321a00_c.jpg

49966390018_0a3fd55683_c.jpg

49966897796_610227b23c_c.jpg

49966897766_4ab38d0ebe_c.jpg

49966389973_246b5bc412_c.jpg

• Like 21

Great colour scheme and the engine detail also looks good. Keep them coming I look forward to seeing your next build 👍

A bit more detail for those interested.

All paint is in Tamiya acrylics, airbrushed. I mixed the blue from light blue and white, aiming for "Gulf Blue", for which I got the RGB values from Google, also that the original was apparently a Triumph Herald colour. The orange is a bit too red, mixed from orange plus red. The line between is actually a deep purple from red and blue, masked with Tamiya's flexible masking tape, which I now like! The race numbers are trimmed down spares from my Tamiya 1/12 Porsche 910, the Bridgestone, Framm and Shell decals were printed here on my inkjet. Not hugely successful as you don't get colour depth, therefore the end result is very much affected by the colour behind.

Build wise, the biggest issues were getting the front and back decks to fit, a LOT of trimming required. BTW, the rear deck isn't hinged as when I tried to fit the hinge pieces, the deck sat too far back, so it's just sitting there. And the gull wing doors are a nightmare, I can open them, but I'd rather not.

It'll be a while before I do any more builds as we're doing a lot of tidying and "clearing the loft".

In the stash are:

Part built Fujima Japanesespec MR2 Mk2, rev 3, which I intend (??) to convert to a UK spec, rev 2, T-Bar - what (see avatar)!!!

Part built Tamiya road version of Alpine A110, started yonks ago and not completed.

Tamiya Monte Carlo A110.

Heller A110, which is based on the '73 1800cc version with wider wheels and big arches.

Oh, and Tamiya's 1/12 Porsche 934RSR, from the latest release.

Plenty to do, then!!

• Like 1

Excellent build!  The braided hoses earn top marks.  That's crazy they raced with a spare tire!  Strong build.  Definitely keep posting. 

2 hours ago, JCH said:

That's crazy they raced with a spare tire!

FIA Appendix J regulations of the day. They were classed as sports GTs, so had to "pretend" to be road capable, such as "passenger seat" and the spare.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

FIA Appendix J regulations of the day. They were classed as sports GTs, so had to "pretend" to be road capable, such as "passenger seat" and the spare.

Most road-going cars don't carry spares anymore. Back in the early days of track racing circuits were loooooong and punctures common. I'm surprised they still had to carry spares in the late 60s though.

Lovely model by the way. The colour scheme really suits it.

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

that colour scheme sets it off a treat.

Thanks. Yes, I stumbled across it care of the Portuguese gent mentioned above and thought it had to be worth a try. I resisted the temptation to get some Gulf decals, though, that would be going too far!😉

• Like 1