Miniart T-55A Early Mod. 1965 - 37016 Full Interior

2 minutes ago, SimonT said:

Hang your head in shame :fight:

Seriously good work, can’t wait to see what you can do with the outside painting.

Oh i know Simon, it's taken me some time to show my face again....

thanks for your comments and for looking in

Ed

• Haha 1

Hi guys, finally managed to get some paint on the outside of this model. i started off using Mig one-shot black primer, I used to use Vallejo but if i had a problem and needed to do a repair by doing some sanding, the primer would just peel off. A little while ago i noticed that someone had created a post on primers and this one was mentioned in another article. The one-shot sands beautifully, i really like it. So photo showing primed body and turret.

y4mU5FSyGav3izr6jGLOAJGbMV-Gs2fW7XLyj3MI

I then proceeded using white paint to try and give variations in the colour and slowly blend from dark to light shades.

y4mWIkXdIQ2niaDhzU25GvlqSyyHpOYSLTvSlTol

y4mBymnj-C9O_zwu8dGSaA97-u8eoEkoPnMixydR

Finally i used Mig Russian green base from their modulation kit. Its slightly light in colour but the next stages are to add highlights to certain areas then varnish, then do a light wash over the model using burnt umber oil paint and then varnish again. This should darken the model nicely.

y4m_CzXzlw7LEFHazfrN4u75l-LRGRUeEVvzP6poy4mKwbb_TO5oZ0bRU9NdqD35hZiHZ3p_XE_v5qSZ

So far i'm quite happy with the overall look of the paint work. I did wonder at first as i have never done this before but i'm pleased it looks ok.

once again, thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 20

The primer and top coats have gone on really well and look first class. As you say, the varnish will darken it. I've not tried the Mig one shot before, so I'll have to try and get some.

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ernst said:

The preshade is working very well, love to see how the washes etc build up.

Thanks Ernst

27 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

very nice, i do like the result of black & white pre-shading 

Thanks Rob, it's actually quite nice to do, if you thin the top coat quite a bit you can just gradually add as much or as little paint as you wish. Quite interesting to do.

thanks for looking in

Ed

14 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

The primer and top coats have gone on really well and look first class. As you say, the varnish will darken it. I've not tried the Mig one shot before, so I'll have to try and get some.

John.

Thanks John, i bought both the grey and black primers, the grey comes out quite dark, much darker than vellejo, but both give a nice finish. Apparently reviews reckon that these primers are rebottled stynylrez. This is a review that prompted me to try these:

thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Thanks John, i bought both the grey and black primers, the grey comes out quite dark, much darker than vellejo, but both give a nice finish. Apparently reviews reckon that these primers are rebottled stynylrez.

Thanks for that Ed. I've used the Vallejo grey primer, but wasn't impressed as it clogged the tip of the brush. I'll see if I can get some sent to me.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Detailed build, very nicely painted - I'm waiting for the next steps but I can see it now it will be a great model.

Thanks Tom, I'm hoping so, I'm looking forward to weathering it, hopefully it will turn out ok

thanks for looking in

Ed

8 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Very nice coat of color....

The One Shot is definitely Stynylrez, and I'm using the one shot clear primer as a flat coat. 

It's an excellent product. 

As a flat coat, interesting! will have to get some, thanks for that.

Ed

• Like 1

Just a quick update, have now varnished body and turret, colour is now slowly deepening. 

y4mAqtdzOnzHep93sy46LmmtR8adIMaueLi1UpNfy4m9dLyt0buWszr07jNdcUGdK8iOAUN9F-iAvceu

Have added a few highlights to grab handles, clasps, bolts etc. Now need to add decals then do a general oil wash over everything, the wash should darken further..

thanks for looking 

Ed

• Like 13

On 16/10/2020 at 10:29, Longbow said:

Very nice coat of color....

The One Shot is definitely Stynylrez, and I'm using the one shot clear primer as a flat coat. 

It's an excellent product. 

That’s an amazing idea! How does it look over decals? Hopefully not too ‘frosty’ if you know what I mean? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Really nice paint job, I've enjoyed watching this progress, looking forward to the completed build. 

Thanks Andy, glad to have you along with the build, still a lot of work to do but it's coming along nicely,

thanks

Ed

On 10/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, Tony Oliver said:

That’s an amazing idea! How does it look over decals? Hopefully not too ‘frosty’ if you know what I mean? 

There is no decal film present, once the one shot is applied...

If you Do Not shake the One Shot, it works as a gloss coat.

Give it a good shake and it's flat mat. 

This is the Tamiya Decal, on the roof of the M4....

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

There is no decal film present, once the one shot is applied...

If you Do Not shake the One Shot, it works as a gloss coat.

Give it a good shake and it's flat mat. 

This is the Tamiya Decal, on the roof of the M4....

spacer.png

So that stuff will eliminate the carrier film look?  I really detest decals because of the film-that star looks great.  Did you do surface prep before applying the decal? I have avoided using decals for 20years or more so to have a “fix” would be amazing!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, f matthews said:

So that stuff will eliminate the carrier film look?  I really detest decals because of the film-that star looks great.  Did you do surface prep before applying the decal? I have avoided using decals for 20years or more so to have a “fix” would be amazing!

No surface prep. 
The surface is painted. Then gloss coat. 
Decal goes on with Microset/Sol. 
Gloss over the decal, and then the weathering, washes, filters etc. 

Then the One Shot clear primer as a dull coat. 

• Like 2

A very quick update, i've added the hatches now to the turret and have also added the decals. The flag decals ended up being a nightmare, not sure why, i soaked in tepid water as normal and soaked long enough to slide off, i applied microset solution to the turret but once the decals were on they would break up when trying to slightly adjust them to get them in the right place. Fortunately they broke up in the white part of the flag so was easy enough to spot out with a bit of paint.

y4mFy9HoEj42iWyvYZLE1O3a1nq3zUW85T_CQs-fy4m7mCgPZUqKeINqGjyzPkfMMHOsebOUIFEx_WEv

I have started to do a pin wash to the turret and now need to do the same to the main body. Need to do some detail painting then will start to weather the whole tank. Then apply wheels and tracks and all should be done.
So the next update i suppose will be the final finished tank.

Once again thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1