Miniart T-55A Early Mod. 1965 - 37016 Full Interior

• 2 weeks later...

A new update folks, the next few stages deal with the outside of the turret, Miniart provide PE for the tie down brackets, but they are flat and don't look right, so i decided to make new ones myself. The instructions also show that there are small cut outs for these brackets to go into. But there is nothing on the actual model so i had to eyeball these on using some reference photo's, they seem about right. I also stretched some sprue and added to the side of each bracket to try to simulate weld. The large handles always look better in copper rather than the plastic, I just used the Miniart brackets as templates.

y4m0PH-8iGZvNJMDISbbhx8a_v13kZoW31wPyUuU

View showing turret with hatch and last two shells on their brackets all ready for painting.

y4mhqJhuNJIDxkWSyp3o_WIn23CtEJYUJKGXzXOg

I had to modify the top plate slightly by cutting around the mount, the one that has the PE on top of the light, otherwise this would have locked the top plate in place stopping removal and giving a restricted view.

y4m_9fQxvEtgX2NPuVuBbGo4tB9MhKk2RqtqgBtT

This is the underside of the turret, some smashing detail, which will be seen upon finishing.

y4m4EXZqrCXiejIovsIehBJh1x-pAdtVNpgzIWKR

Finally painted, detailed and weathered the underside of the turret.

y4mCmqpVHEQ01A-0bUCue3hEv2nunPRdCseDO4NKy4mKqET87eIZXal8xOFBQHl6gyi9AbZagv_oeT4Q

The underside of the turret with the top plate in place.

y4mTRjflX16Uev6H_17U-Jo3BG3T2KggIA2hfl0x

That has now taken me up to stage 95, just another 9 stages to go, then i can start on painting the exterior, I'm nearly there!!! The next stages are more parts to the outside of the turret, hatches, lights etc then finally gun barrel. I'll update as soon as i can.

thanks as always for looking in...

Ed

• Like 18

7 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I'm impressed by the level of detail in that kit and you are making an excellent job showing it.

Wayne

Many thanks Wayne, Miniart really do pack a lot of detail in their kits, the slight downside for some i would imagine would be that it becomes a slow build, but that doesn't bother me. I just find it a great kit to build. Thanks again for looking in and commenting, i really appreciate it...

Ed

25 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

stunning... can;t wait to join the fray with my SU-122 Initial, will be really poring over this build for hints & tips...

Thanks again Rob, appreciate it, I'm looking forward to you starting the SU-122 as well, i was looking at those before i got this one, so it will be interesting to see how that develops...

Ed

Outstanding work, the quality of the modelling is first rate+

The inside of the turret, as the rest, is just remarkable 

Too have not just the skill but the patience....

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together in the end once painted. 

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Outstanding work, the quality of the modelling is first rate+

The inside of the turret, as the rest, is just remarkable 

Too have not just the skill but the patience....

Looking forward to seeing how it comes together in the end once painted. 

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, appreciate your comments, i'm looking forward to painting the exterior, this has been quite a long build to say the least. The next problem is how to paint it. Do i go for modulation or try black and white technique as 'Tom W' has done on his T-55? Not sure which will be best for me, i will have to experiment on some spare parts and see. I really like what he has done.

thanks for looking

Ed

3 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Your progress so far has been amazing, I'm hoping that I can pick mine up this week and make some further progress, my ability is nothing close to you, but I just want to finish mine now. 

Thanks Andy for your comments, don't worry about ability its all about enjoying this wonderful hobby of ours. This is a great kit just building, painting and enjoying it is the most important thing. 

thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

don't worry about ability its all about enjoying this wonderful hobby of ours. This is a great kit just building, painting and enjoying it is the most important thing. 

Enjoy!!!

Whoa! No one told me we're supposed to be enjoying this....jeez that puts an entirely new perspective on it, if only.....🤔🤣😅

• Haha 2

Hi there folks, just a quick update on this,  i have now pretty much finished assembly, at long last!!

It's taken a long time, but has been great fun. A few pictures to show where i'm at.

y4mUhtdLoYG-jMU-X69uRDY1JBCBsHuq8dkmpILry4m4jMXcTNehtpSFK8Ppcic6Liay5agAJSROlNDHy4mWc3TwokFCjTC7QRraAmFxcJCcH8d_iPQxukG9y4md4hsB7A-f5TZdgNPNDwhSZjWvqPsHdrBfd3dmy4mklGpSKOLDjtjJXbaAMWgiVFu242MIhxXB4DNby4mY3mJWQDpRAXC3-genOkjKhINg8qVhNkRhVh7f

When painting is finished i'll have all hatches open and engine panel will be removable for viewing. I've left glass on the search light and some scopes off until after painting. Will start priming next week, just need to mask some areas off.
I've decided i'm going to try the Black and White technique in painting this, never done this before like a lot of things on this model, so will give it a go, what can go wrong!!!😀

I'm going to practice first on some spare parts to see how this works.

thanks for looking.

Ed

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Why is it, that you only notice things on a photo after you have posted. I have just noticed that the turret is not in the correct position, its slightly offset to one side. honestly!!!! sorry about that

Ed

it is, is it just placed on or is that a design fault?

14 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

it is, is it just placed on or is that a design fault?

No Rob its just placed on. What happened is that when i moved the model round to photograph it i broke off the light at the rear of the turret. So i did a quick repair job but i hadn't noticed that i hadn't got the turret seated in the correct position.

thanks for looking

Ed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Looks nice. Can't wait it will be painted... :tasty:

Many thanks Tom, I'm looking forward to it too, hopefully it will turn out ok...

2 hours ago, Luis N said:

What a fantastic kit. Loving the interior detail. 

Thanks Luis, it certainly is an amazing kit packed with detail. All you need is time and patience, thanks for looking in.