Miniart T-55A Early Mod. 1965 - 37016 Full Interior

On 18/08/2020 at 09:39, edjbartos said:

Hi there folks, just a mini update, it's been a while since i last posted, i've been away for a bit. Miniart kept true to their word and sent me replacement sprues to cover the front idler wheels, well done Miniart! So i have now been able to trim and assemble the tracks. 
The tracks took quite a while to clean up but the detail is really good even down to the numbering on the tracks.

y4mGPDdZjQDR0Lb54cIpnZ0gFpk0Yl3_xeXatSHU

Photo showing the tracks and wheels in place temporarily for now and will take them off for painting.

y4mYd9PiE8_12p03egRviapsL_oELY_sPAJIUjaP

I have purchased towing cables from Eureka XL, these look quite nice and come complete with resin hooks and tarpaulin.

y4meeXt9L_b5wtRAMJW4cU2mk6dgTH_gTYJP2-Xfspacer.png

The next stages are to fit the fenders and add the fuel barrels etc to the back. I will post soon when i have done that.
Thanks for looking in....

Ed. 

Looks great. 

• Like 3

Hi there guys, now finished assembling the body of the T-55, have added the fuel tanks at the rear and also the tow cables. That takes us up to stage 65 of the build.

y4mkIcbUhz981TzUQSidiHEq0qPuRQFmdcv1j09zy4mO-tlYNOo0lOGhtjorggZjw_kMrgEfQTQsFG7w

Now starting work on the Turret internals, another 38 stages devoted to the turret, lots of details, small parts and a lot of sub assemblies. This is typical of the stages to come...

y4mTgkh9VTLiVUJfZJdAS6Zwjel2Ol7o5iJ3D1JW

Sub assemblies for this stage complete...

y4m-68vKRtdmWuU-iVpIr-XJ3VPt4vjXH-d2PxLL

Sub assemblies fixed to the base of the turret..

y4mOwv0n8Zo5gh3qrxfGfoXO0zZ_xjDvKpZB_5Sa

Basic painting and detailing.

y4m5I5_bqcWNlvnwM3UivrZEKw52xJpjxWTMubQt

Once again many thanks for looking in..

Ed

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Lovely work on the detail but it is a shame that we put all that detail inside and then it gets covered up.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, i plan to have the top part of the turret removable so that you will see the inside....

Ed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Hi there guys, now finished assembling the body of the T-55, have added the fuel tanks at the rear and also the tow cables. That takes us up to stage 65 of the build.

y4mkIcbUhz981TzUQSidiHEq0qPuRQFmdcv1j09zy4mO-tlYNOo0lOGhtjorggZjw_kMrgEfQTQsFG7w

Now starting work on the Turret internals, another 38 stages devoted to the turret, lots of details, small parts and a lot of sub assemblies. This is typical of the stages to come...

y4mTgkh9VTLiVUJfZJdAS6Zwjel2Ol7o5iJ3D1JW

Sub assemblies for this stage complete...

y4m-68vKRtdmWuU-iVpIr-XJ3VPt4vjXH-d2PxLL

Sub assemblies fixed to the base of the turret..

y4mOwv0n8Zo5gh3qrxfGfoXO0zZ_xjDvKpZB_5Sa

Basic painting and detailing.

y4m5I5_bqcWNlvnwM3UivrZEKw52xJpjxWTMubQt

Once again many thanks for looking in..

Ed

Wonderful build, makes mine look a bit simple now, plus my rear boxes were slight off level. What did you use to weather those white areas in the turret? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Longbow said:

Stunning build !! Love all the detail work, and the really clean painting !!

Cant wait to see it completed !!

Lee. 

Many thanks Lee, thanks for looking in, much appreciated. it's going to be a while before this one is finished, but its great fun building it.

Enjoying your build on the Panther...

Ed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy350 said:

Wonderful build, makes mine look a bit simple now, plus my rear boxes were slight off level. What did you use to weather those white areas in the turret? 

Hi Andy, i tend to use Burnt Umber oil paint for the weathering. I usually apply to cardboard the night before to allow the oil to soak into the cardboard leaving just the pigment. Then mix a little of the paint with odourless thinner and apply to the model. The great thing is, if you apply too much it's easy to to take off again with a clean brush dipped in the thinner. Again thanks for looking in...

Ed

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's very good work Ed.

Miniart certainly don't hold back on the detail, although I did find the amount of cleanup required and the placement of some of the sprue attachment points a little frustrating on their Omnibus kit.

Wayne 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Lovely painting job, Ed! 👍 This kit looks absolutely fantastic. Keep up the good work. 😉

Thanks Nikolay, the kit is taking time, but I’m still really enjoying it, thanks for looking in...

Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diablo rsv said:

That's very good work Ed.

Miniart certainly don't hold back on the detail, although I did find the amount of cleanup required and the placement of some of the sprue attachment points a little frustrating on their Omnibus kit.

Wayne 

Thank you Wayne, really appreciate your comments. I agree with you about the amount of  clean up points especially when they are put onto thin parts, which take an age to clean up as you have to work really carefully.  Love the work that you have done on your Omnibus, cracking job...

all the best  

Ed

• Like 2

I must be mad... added the T-54-2 interior to go with the SU-122 interior. Think next year may be a russian year (also have the Meng Terminator for some "light relief")

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robw_uk said:

I must be mad... added the T-54-2 interior to go with the SU-122 interior. Think next year may be a russian year (also have the Meng Terminator for some "light relief")

Amazing, those will keep you busy, looking forward to see you starting those...

Ed

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, a new update. This section has taken ages to complete, this is for the gun assembly, gun mounts, seating and yet more shells. This little lot consisted of over 100 parts, hence the time taken to do this, if you are looking in Rob this is what you have let yourself in for with your T-54a build  😂

y4mWCRWiK65pCw2CCSD_MFtZEOivGfQWoc8yjU4K

These are all the assemblies painted and ready to assemble into the base of the turret.

y4mq9lx9ZDwoQikw-SiHIr3q_RE6ant5Nq9ZfNSx

The gun assembly has lovely detail.

y4mzkpVBDlNSlm4Jlad_7QHxv94TRySeUK2VdtbT

Assemblies now fitted into the turret base, this for me, i found to be the hardest part of the build so far. The gun is fitted between the two mounts at the front which isn't a problem but then the assembly has part of the gunners seat assembly fitted to the turret base at the rear, the other fitted to another assembly which is then secured to the gun. Some of the locating pins didn't locate very well, you just needed another pair or two of hands to hold assemblies together. It just felt as though i was trying to sort out a pair of bag pipes. Got there in the end.

y4mlOLP-CY7OUMFYv9i2KJsLxHLANNZQz7EkAgvjy4msD1DY8ZDLPrsV5SvqSUAiMW3dAIQ3k4JwCFjL

Some side views showing the completed assembly.

y4mI2ctQicrx-9URLZ01MFy50r9C9Jx7c0gy_s0vy4mn_Zn5hCHQuTX0WyDG4UgyxelFXwPgNcbRZvpC

The assembly fitted into the main body.

y4mLCQFfvP7KvlHHzjpSAWjPiQpxIAz04Oozz3qny4mKLzFKTrlZ6UzWtWMf31r3eOI2vBGiHiWmsSYE

A couple of views showing the top of the cover temporarily placed on top to show the view.

y4muf3aRw4jjYf8SK-CwttfHEG4HklaSklxT2a3uy4m-fBOU6r6EIqe-ITQopVM-PCwdtuJmuAQSizPO

On the top of the turret are two plates which i will glue together but will not glue to the turret, so at least this is the view that you will get upon completion. Ideally i would like to have the whole top of the turret cover removed to show as much as possible of the interior of the turret, but i'm not sure if i will be able to do this, i will look at this a bit later.

This takes us up to stage 85, the next stages are to start assembly inside the turret top, will update when that's done.

Thanks again for lookin in.

Ed

• Like 16

10 hours ago, SimonT said:

Looks so so good, excellent painting has brought that to life. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Many thanks Simon, thanks for looking in, i really appreciate it.  I’m looking forward to the next instalment also, its been a long haul although an enjoyable one, not far to go in the build then I’ll be able to start on the exterior...

Ed

3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

This interior looks very impressive. I can already see that it will be a great model 👍

Thanks Tom, I’m hoping so, it’s been great fun to build, would definitely build another without hesitation. Thanks for looking in, really appreciate your comments

Ed

• Like 1

Looks fantastic!  I picked up one of these (T-54-3 Interior) and it looked so good in the box, I went overboard and picked up four or five others.  Fortunately, I got one that is interior-less, so I should be able to retain my sanity.

I will be using this thread as a “how-to” guide for sure!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Oh my god, how many years is it going to take to do those 🤣 .  Seriously if you like building, these are brilliant to do, you will have fun. Looking forward to seeing you start. Thanks for looking in...

Ed

Likely those will take the next few decades, which means that I’ll just have to live past 100😂

I am currently building their new T-34/85 and it is very nice. The T-54/55 turrets look to be the most challenging of the lot.

50331507376_6e79928b87_b.jpg

• Like 7