Miniart T-55A Early Mod. 1965 - 37016 Full Interior

24 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Thanks Andy, so much going on in that turret, would like to see how you get on.

I will update my build tomorrow, I had a few issues with mine, mainly with the PE, as I was very new to PE at the time.  The small PE fins on the back, on top of the radiators were the fun parts!!

• Like 1

An update on this tank, i have fitted the left hand side, unlike the right hand side this just fell into place.

spacer.png

Also fitted the front plate and just taped on the top plate and engine plate to check for fit. Still would like to make the engine plate removable to see more of the engine, i'll see further down the road.

y4m6dIWdLkIPVpwKaGjWbOfvgZEBceQ-7vZ84dpX

I had a few idiot moments with the front plate, first i misread the instructions and decided to make  a rectangular hole on the top right, luckily i spotted in time before i did a further 7 holes. These are supposed to be for the mine roller system. In hind site i wished i left it in as i've seen other models with these in place and it adds further interest to the model, i think i'll do that next time.

y4m_24_WvBg5Ly9HQU6Tf2-FpZBjEvhu70f5pu1g

The other problem that i had was with the guard that surrounds the two lights. This has three  cross members, the first pinged off into oblivion when trying to clean it, the second broke in half on cutting off the sprue, so one left. So i decided to stretch some sprue to the right diameter, hence the different coloured plastic. The right hand light i've  fixed the front lens and put masking fluid on to protect from painting as i thought i might have problems later fitting it in place.

The instructions for the light offers you two alternatives for the lens, either plain glass or one with a pattern on it. I was going to go for the plain one except that i forgot that the clear plastic is more brittle and i cut too close to the glass breaking a big chunck out of it. So i've had to go for the alternative as the other i want to use on the light that's housed on the turret. The photo shows the two different types, does any one know the reason for the chequered pattern on the left?  i wonder if its to spread the light in a wider pattern?

y4m1_TL80uLmHpkP9dnTQKMQiNUrwDeQUQ74Flgi

The rest of the next few stages deal with the assembly of the wheels, which pose no real problems, the instructions ask to fit these in place but i will paint and fix later on. The instructions also call for the wheels to be movable,

y4mzLPT8qt2eXxeEQLBlUOaDV2-bKp22tf3IVhwC

I don't like that, i had the same issue on Miniart's Panzer III, they just drop off as there is only a small area that is glued in place, so these i will just glue solidly in place.

This takes us up to stage 43, the next stages are the top plates and fiddly little PE fins that fit on the back.

Thanks for looking,

Ed

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on this build, The next few stages have taken quite a while to do. Now building and assembling the top part of the body. Everything was really straight forward, Photo showing the parts all built and ready to fix to the body. (Top part is not fixed yet, hence the gaps).

spacer.png

The fins were a little delicate to say the least, going cross eyed after a while!!  But they went on fine. 

spacer.png

You then start building from the rear towards the front to make sure that everything is properly aligned

y4mXU8sbexOIsT2-ERnQPu2RTPPearF6BrNbfagH

That takes us up to stage 51 of the build nearly half way through.

thanks for looking.

Ed

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, edjbartos said:

Another update on this build, The next few stages have taken quite a while to do. Now building and assembling the top part of the body. Everything was really straight forward, Photo showing the parts all built and ready to fix to the body. (Top part is not fixed yet, hence the gaps).

spacer.png

The fins were a little delicate to say the least, going cross eyed after a while!!  But they went on fine. 

spacer.png

You then start building from the rear towards the front to make sure that everything is properly aligned

y4mXU8sbexOIsT2-ERnQPu2RTPPearF6BrNbfagH

That takes us up to stage 51 of the build nearly half way through.

thanks for looking.

Ed

Good work Ed, I'm going back to mine soon, I need to fix my fins as this was an area I struggled with.  Looking forward to the next update. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

Good work Ed, I'm going back to mine soon, I need to fix my fins as this was an area I struggled with.  Looking forward to the next update. 

Thanks Andy, they are so delicate, when fixing the units to the body i kept breaking a few off, then needing to re-glue. good luck with yours.

Ed

• Thanks 1

Thought I'd take a look at this thread as the scale and subject isn't my area but wanted to what can be done with interiors. What you have done is really impressive and with all that interior detail, I too would like as many hatches open as possible, otherwise what's the point. Just wished that their was more interior sets and engines for 1/72. Good work.

Stuart

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Superb work, Ed! 👍 My friend asked me to build the T-54-1 from MiniArt (also with a full interior), so I’ll take a look at your progress.

Thanks Nikolay, will look forward to seeing yours when you start. Just be prepared to allow a lot of time to do the kit as there are so many small parts. But great fun, you'll enjoy it i'm sure.

Ed

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Thought I'd take a look at this thread as the scale and subject isn't my area but wanted to what can be done with interiors. What you have done is really impressive and with all that interior detail, I too would like as many hatches open as possible, otherwise what's the point. Just wished that their was more interior sets and engines for 1/72. Good work.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, i've not really looked at 1/72 scale for armour stuff.  I agree with you, i'm going to have as many parts open or lifted off so as to expose as much of the interior as possible.

cheers

Ed

• Like 2

5 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Thanks Nikolay, will look forward to seeing yours when you start.

Just need some time and mojo to finish my two current builds, I’ll notify you.

5 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Just be prepared to allow a lot of time to do the kit as there are so many small parts. But great fun, you'll enjoy it i'm sure.

Yes, 1053 parts - that’s a lot! 😬 But the kit looks well-designed and I think it’ll be enjoyable build, for sure.

4 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I had zero interest in tank kits with interiors, until I began following your build. This is incredible! 

Many thanks for your kind remarks, i’m glad you are enjoying it

cheers

Ed

A mini update on my build, have now completed both left and right fenders.

spacer.png

I had issues with the mud flap retainers at the front as they where so thin they broke on the sprue on cutting so i replaced with copper wire, which i think look better. On the right fender i broke off and lost the triangular mount on the flap so i have replaced with plastic card.

y4mxkuAZiuRiI8s8NZoKSEYOBulL2imBDAq8k6tv

A view showing the underside of the mud flap with PE in place.

y4mrzlb_mXrIy-NjgS6X_pYmdS4BMDP6coy0eMb7

I started to look at fixing the wheels in place, starting with the front idler wheel, when i noticed a problem. It looks as though incorrect sprues were put into the box. Firstly there is no hole in the centre for the locating pin to go through and secondly there is a type of boss which i would need to trim off without damaging any of the part. I checked with "Andy350's" build and the wheel on that one is correct.

y4mRfAlXiH2qvFUeuyMs5LGCH_la7HFkGLGM8Ovvy4meziZibWYpyMITWDq5DG9e8ESE2E_7H0pbmuK_

I emailed Miniart customer support and explained the issue. Within a couple of hours they responded to apologise and that two correct sprues would be sent to me free of charge, i should get them in the next few weeks. How good is that!

So i'm now about to weather the wheels and glue in place and then start trimming and cleaning the tracks

thanks for looking in

Ed

• Like 12

59 minutes ago, Biggu said:

Miniart customer service is the BEST, and awesome build...... this is really sweet

Thanks Biggu, i have to agree about Miniart Customer Service, i've heard good things about them previously from other modellers when they have had issues. I'm really impressed.

• Like 1

Hi Ed, coming along a treat. As I'm sure someone else must have said, your making this monster kit look easy and very tempting...

Great attention to detail. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Ed, coming along a treat. As I'm sure someone else must have said, your making this monster kit look easy and very tempting...

Great attention to detail. 

Atb

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl, your right about this being a monster kit, i think i’m only about half way through the build. The turret is really  complex, so i’m looking forward to doing that, i must be a sadist....

Ed

• Like 1

21 hours ago, edjbartos said:

A mini update on my build, have now completed both left and right fenders.

spacer.png

I had issues with the mud flap retainers at the front as they where so thin they broke on the sprue on cutting so i replaced with copper wire, which i think look better. On the right fender i broke off and lost the triangular mount on the flap so i have replaced with plastic card.

y4mxkuAZiuRiI8s8NZoKSEYOBulL2imBDAq8k6tv

A view showing the underside of the mud flap with PE in place.

y4mrzlb_mXrIy-NjgS6X_pYmdS4BMDP6coy0eMb7

I started to look at fixing the wheels in place, starting with the front idler wheel, when i noticed a problem. It looks as though incorrect sprues were put into the box. Firstly there is no hole in the centre for the locating pin to go through and secondly there is a type of boss which i would need to trim off without damaging any of the part. I checked with "Andy350's" build and the wheel on that one is correct.

y4mRfAlXiH2qvFUeuyMs5LGCH_la7HFkGLGM8Ovvy4meziZibWYpyMITWDq5DG9e8ESE2E_7H0pbmuK_

I emailed Miniart customer support and explained the issue. Within a couple of hours they responded to apologise and that two correct sprues would be sent to me free of charge, i should get them in the next few weeks. How good is that!

So i'm now about to weather the wheels and glue in place and then start trimming and cleaning the tracks

thanks for looking in

Ed

Looks really good. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there folks, just a mini update, it's been a while since i last posted, i've been away for a bit. Miniart kept true to their word and sent me replacement sprues to cover the front idler wheels, well done Miniart! So i have now been able to trim and assemble the tracks. 
The tracks took quite a while to clean up but the detail is really good even down to the numbering on the tracks.

y4mGPDdZjQDR0Lb54cIpnZ0gFpk0Yl3_xeXatSHU

Photo showing the tracks and wheels in place temporarily for now and will take them off for painting.

y4mYd9PiE8_12p03egRviapsL_oELY_sPAJIUjaP

I have purchased towing cables from Eureka XL, these look quite nice and come complete with resin hooks and tarpaulin.

y4meeXt9L_b5wtRAMJW4cU2mk6dgTH_gTYJP2-Xfspacer.png

The next stages are to fit the fenders and add the fuel barrels etc to the back. I will post soon when i have done that.
Thanks for looking in....

Ed. 

• Like 16