Academy P2B-1S (B-29 Mothership / D558-II) - was this ever released?

Mike N

While browsing through Scalemates at B-29 stuff, I noticed that they have this kit listed as 'released in 1996'. I just wanted to check that I hadn't missed what would've been a must-have for me! I've certainly never seen it, and can't find any other reference to it on the web. I'm assuming it was just an aspiration...? I would love to be proved wrong... :pray:

Mike 

Edited by Mike N

I read somewhere that it was a planned release, box art was displayed, but that the kit was cancelled- bet it wouldn't have been a big seller, but it would have been interesting to see how Academy engineered the revised tooling- new fuselage halves and parts, possibly? See the link below to one modeler's conversion. I wonder if the planned release also included a 1/72 Skyrocket?

Mike

https://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14828

Wow, he made that look easy! Just got to have the confidence to cut up a perfectly nice kit :) I do have the Special Hobby D558 in the stash...

I agree, Academy would've needed to do new fuselage halves plus the interfacing area around the D558. Presumably the Skyrocket would come with it, and no doubt get released on its own too. Oh well, it may not have sold thousands but bump up the price to reflect that... they would still have made money from me!

Mike 

19 minutes ago, Mike N said:

they would still have made money from me!

Mike 

And me too....although as with most of my kits I wouldn't have built it....yet.

Cheers,

Mark (who still has the Special Hobby Skyrocket unbuilt)

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I read somewhere that it was a planned release, box art was displayed, but that the kit was cancelled- bet it wouldn't have been a big seller, but it would have been interesting to see how Academy engineered the revised tooling- new fuselage halves and parts, possibly? See the link below to one modeler's conversion. I wonder if the planned release also included a 1/72 Skyrocket?

Mike

Oh boy! Another forum to join!

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

See the link below to one modeler's conversion. I wonder if the planned release also included a 1/72 Skyrocket?

Mike

I noticed that the guy doing the conversion said he used .38 caliber wad cutter bullets for lead weight and wondered if any Americans did the same thing since he was Dutch.  I have used spent ammo rounds on a number of models to keep them from sitting on their derriere.  I have a number of 9mm luger shell casings that I just need somebody who is a re-loader to remove the old primer caps for me so I can then use them as pedestals for 1/700 ship models.  As far as spent bullets go, I am just about out of them now and gun ranges won't let you collect them because they have to turn them in to the state for recycling.

Later,

Dave

10 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I just need somebody who is a re-loader to remove the old primer caps

Dave,

If the rounds have already been fired, just use a punch to knock the primer cups out from the inside of the case- that's basically what the  depriming tool on my loading bench looks like. That's a pretty neat idea using the cases for pedestals....my preference would be for .45ACP, but that's what I have the most used brass for! Just put the case in a vise with wood or rubber jaws or wrap the case with a rubber strip, clamp lightly, insert the punch, and give it a good tap with a small hammer!

Mike

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Dave,

If the rounds have already been fired, just use a punch to knock the primer cups out from the inside of the case- that's basically what the  depriming tool on my loading bench looks like. That's a pretty neat idea using the cases for pedestals....my preference would be for .45ACP, but that's what I have the most used brass for! Just put the case in a vise with wood or rubber jaws or wrap the case with a rubber strip, clamp lightly, insert the punch, and give it a good tap with a small hammer!

Mike

I've tried drilling them out but that doesn't work.  I think I have a punch somewhere around here.  If not, there is always Home Depot and/or Lowes!  I have one carrier, the USS Lexington CV-16 in its post May 1945 refit nearly ready to get mounted.  Thanks for the tip.

Later,

Dave

On 6/4/2020 at 9:41 AM, 72modeler said:

Dave,

Mike

I tried your tip with what I already have at hand and it works!  I also drilled out the opening after the primer cap was gone using an 11/64" drill bit.  Not sure what the metric equivalent would be but I'm guessing about 3 or 3.5mm.  I now have a number of pedestals waiting t0 to used.

Later,

Dave

P.S. #4 hardware works fine with 9mm shell casings.  With .45 caliber you may be able to use #6 hardware.

9 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I tried your tip with what I already have at hand and it works! 

Glad I could help, Dave.  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes! :like:

Mike

For those that may not know, Fertile Myrtle is located at Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida. Kermit Weeks owns it. It was in one of his side hangars that had his Lysander and Tempest. The aircraft is in pieces but stored out of the weather. I don't know of the availability to view it. Kermit has pretty much shut down the facility to visitors except for one hangar. 

• Thanks 1