Now what? well, I was clearing out the garage a few weeks ago and found an old butane gas lighter.

I looked at the shape and instantly thought, Hover bike. So here we go....

I have a couple of large scale motorbikes in the scrap boxes, so I should be okay for bike bits. (A Harley and a Yamaha, for those who NEED to know).

645enkx.jpg

Yeah, sorry about the colour. It did mean we could always find it though. The Christmas tree bauble is the anti grav unit, as used on the Ma.k Falke.

The 1/20th scale Falke used table tennis balls but this is near enough the right size.  In the foreground, bike bits, stripped of chrome with bleach.

lLpzt7h.jpg

The figure is from a Tamiya pit crew set. I widened the gap between the legs (listens for @CedB galloping closer...) so he can straddle this beastie.

I had to perform surgery on the left leg to match the right. The pit crew set lets you swap limbs between the figures to a certain extent.

wEuKgjJ.jpg

And from a slightly different angle. These pictures were taken yesterday. Footpegs were later fitted and the spares boxes searched for suitable greeblies.

I've been pressing on today with arms and handlebars. I may get to post more pictures later.

Thanks for looking, and of course your comments are welcome. Pete

• Like 16

Thanks for the likes and comments, Guys. It's nice to see that people are interested in this thing.

It's been a busy couple of days DIY wise, culminating in me fitting 7 new double glazing units this afternoon.

I've had more difficult jobs, but it was me that measured the old ones and supplied those measurements to the guys that make them. (Don't panic!)

Luckily it all turned out well and they were all a nice snug fit. The Winter obviously wasn't kind to the old ones! They were getting on though.

Anyway, on with the show....

I've mocked up the bike with spit and tape to show what I've managed to get done.

2Ereqoo.jpg

Our intrepid rider now has arms. Not fixed yet but pretty much in the right position. And he has handlebars to cling onto.

EpHocfR.jpg

They don't show up too well against the white background but these were chromed Harley front forks. More bits will be added to them.

It's a bit 'Speederbike' but I think that may be a good thing. They'll give a sense of speed and motion. It's a bit stubby without them.

QDeMN56.jpg

Handlebar assembly. Cobbled together from various bike bits. Instruments to come.

YkbKseW.jpg

And, lastly, an over the shoulder shot.

I didn't mention the stand. Well, sometimes people make these things and go to elaborate lengths to make them 'hover'.

This one will be static, I may turns matey's head and have him talking to someone. We shall see.

Thanks for dropping by, please leave comments and chocolate under the flowerpot by the front door.

Pete

• Like 12

On 6/3/2020 at 1:30 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

A Harley and a Yamaha,

Tut tut, Triumph all the way sonny Jim😉. Interesting subject Pete especially when you have no pics to work from.

Remind me not to be reincarnated as one of your plastic figures, you always chop them up, God bless em!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Are you going to adding saddle bag or a top box? 

I was but there will be a spoiler at the top rear so one would be in the way. I've made a shoulder bag for the rider though. 

I'm thinking that he's the equivalent of a WW2 dispatch rider.

3 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

you always chop them up

I always say a little prayer first though.

I did some more work today. Lots of hours passed, but as it was all small fiddly stuff it doesn't look like much progress has been made. :sad:

I'd done some filling on the bike and the figure, Milliput, so It will get rubbed down tomorrow and then I can take some pictures.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Something to look forward to when my time comes

I'm free next Tuesday and I know where you live! Mwahahahahaha!

• Haha 2

Here we go again.   :dog:

Amazing what you come up with outta the bits bin.

Some questions;

Obviously the A/G ball gives lift...

What gives it forward movement?

How do you steer it?

And most important, how do you stop it? I mean, without resorting to walls and trees and like that. 

I always wondered that about the Star wars speeders to, but you might actually have some answers!  

6 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

How do you steer it?

And most important, how do you stop it? I mean, without resorting to walls and trees and like that. 

All will be revealed as the build goes on. Forward and left/right I've figured out. Stopping? well, it is a worry......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Stopping? well, it is a worry......

Most bikers the universe over do not think too much about stopping, it's all about forward movement, that what brings the grin onto the face.

However, brakes are welcome especially when a cafe approaches....🚾

Can the anti gravity unit switch so that it acts like two poles of the same polarity opposing each other? ( way out my depth here):whistle:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Can the anti gravity unit switch so that it acts like two poles of the same polarity opposing each other? ( way out my depth here):whistle:

Hmm.

That's a thought. Supposing the anti-gravity "beam" can be directed.

I am imagining a sort of radar dish inside the ball that shoots anti-gravity rays in the direction that you need them to go...

Possibly it doesn't emit "rays" at all but rather reflects gravity like a mirror.

Think of it rather like sitting on top of an umbrella that has air blowing up into it.

You could tilt it in the direction opposite of the direction you want to go.

If it was like a gravity "shield", that is to say a surface that gravity couldn't penetrate, you wouldn't even need power to run the thing.

You'd need power to tilt it of course and maybe some kind of gyroscope to stabilize things.

Hmm again.

If your gravity shield could be made semi-permeable, that could be used to control lift and thrust....

Unfortunately, I don't think gravity works like that...:huh::hmmm::shrug:

• Like 3

Uh, ignore all of my last post 'cause it's early morning rubbish.

You couldn't just reflect gravity because that would mean that it would simply attract back in the opposite direction.

Meaning it would just suck you down harder...

So a mirror wouldn't work.

But a polarizing lens of some sort that changed the direction of the attraction, would suck you into the sky...

:wacko::sorry:

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Obviously the A/G ball gives lift...

How do you steer it?

Read on and all will be revealed (OOER!) I managed to get a full day in the mancave, so there's been a lot of progress.

WOHhcHL.jpg

Our intrepid biker chats with old mate, Helmut. Everything you see now has been glued into place due to a lack of spit.

The rider was wearing a baseball cap. I added Milliput to make a crash helmet of sorts. And there is now a stowage rack on the back.

And I added ex matchbox Lysander winglets (brown plastic!) to each side for extra lift.

xLX637Z.jpg

The sharp end. These 'lances' on the front channel engine thrust to slow down or help to stop the bike in conjunction with the airbrakes.

G7m0Jff.jpg

Amidships. The white bit is a rear view mirror, a bit of bent pipe/manifold to direct thrust into the lances, Behind that is the info unit (speedo etc).

jYscJE8.jpg

And at the back, Yes, Porsche 911 spoiler. The green 'panniers' are fuel tanks with air brakes, used for steering, mounted on them.

The grey bit was a jet fighter canopy frame, the three silver 'rivets' are dress making pins.

7NESYFq.jpg

Here you can see a bit of Tamiya tape on the screen of the into unit. I imagine the ex brake handles would be used to steer rather than turning the whole assembly.

Pull left to go left etc and pull both to deploy both airbrakes and operate the reverse thrust from the lances. LH twistgrip for Up/Down, use the RH for speed.

Pl1QAZR.jpg

On the Falke the anti grav units use P-38 turbo superchargers to exhaust heat. Here I've used the Yamaha driveshaft housing as it looks close enough.

mSxh8R3.jpg

And, for forward thrust we have this. I think it may be from a spacecraft of some sort.

RYZvx3p.jpg

On the RH side, from left to right. In front of the pannier is a thingy with pipes under it.

The grey thing above the ball is a pistol in a holster (Laminated card) And in front of that is a black airscoop.

The footplates (here tilted to fit the rider) would be sprung loaded level and could tilt for comfort. They are mounted on removable panels. The white things are catches.

I forgot to say that the main airscoop for the engine is the black piece at the front.

Hopefully this lot will answer nearly everyone's questions (There's always one) and it will all make sense (of sorts).

Thanks for looking in and the comments. Next move is a tidy up and get it ready for paint.

Pete

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Words fail me at this genius of yours for taking the mundane into the realms of sf Pete.

I'm honoured, your Baronship. It just takes decades of Sci fi and looking at things for the shape, not for what they are.

Equally, Your computer and printing skills leave me speechless at times. At least we share a sense of humour! :laugh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Read on and all will be revealed (OOER!) I managed to get a full day in the mancave, so there's been a lot of progress.

WOHhcHL.jpg

jYscJE8.jpg

Next move is a tidy up and get it ready for paint.

Pete

What?!

You're going to PAINT it?!

Why??

:yikes::frantic:

Okay, stop hitting me, I'll go away now...

:bangin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

WOHhcHL.jpg

I get a really strong sense from this particular image of Helmut saying;  "Look kid,  I know this thing is only a prototype, but it is stupid fast and a bit twitchy so don't try anything fancy okay? Just run the test course!"  Pete the pilot on the other hand is thinking "Don't get yer knickers in a twist old man, I can handle anything this baby can throw at me." All the while hoping that he's right...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Progress. It may not seem to be much, but it's the small things.

KiQSGj6.jpg

I added headlights. They are the small brown things near the top centre. Posibly ex matchbox 1/76th, going by the colour.

And that gap around the anti grav ball was niggling me. I used thin card to make a template and transferred it to plastic card.

Some sanding and cutting was followed by glue. It looks better I think. It also looks like a goose!

Q2wpipB.jpg

This morning I shook up the white primer rattle can. I was pleased by the effect on the rider.

I also spent a stupid amount of time making him a pair of sunglasses. Fiddly or what!

XCa3JvS.jpg

It didn't cover the pink or the purple ball so well, but it was just a mist coat really. For stowage behind the seat I made a tarpaulin which will be camouflaged.

X2vFkPT.jpg

Another shot of the headlights. They are the WW2 slotted mask type.

Since I took these pictures I've painted the riders uniform and daubed the bike with a couple of shades of green in spots. I later dabbed on spots of maskol.

The plan is to overspray with a pale brown and then remove the maskol. which should leave me green camouflage spots in the brown. Fingers crossed. 

I'll report back tomorrow with the result.

• Like 7