Heather's Workbench - The Netherlands, 1940

I hope our Dutch BMers will forgive me, but I never quite know how to refer to their country. Is it Holland, or The Netherlands, or are they references to regions of the country? Being this many years old, you'd think I'd know this sort of stuff by now!

Anyway, it is time to turn my attention to that land of tulips, canals and windmills, and see how they can add to my knowledge and understanding of the Luchtvaartafdeling and their contributions to the air war of 1940. 

The Dutch, along with the Belgians, had tried to remain a neutral country after war was declared between Britain, France and Germany. Attempts were made to ensure the country would not be attacked, and even efforts made to broker a peace between the belligerent nations. Sadly, the inevitable outcome became more obvious as the spring of 1940 came, and belatedly Dutch forces were moved to a state of readiness. On 10 May 1940, German aircraft began to bomb the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg without any declaration of hostilities being made. By 14 May, despite valiant efforts against overwhelming opposition, Dutch forces surrendered. Some fighting continued in Zealand, but that ended on 17 May.

As ever, my aim is to try and help tell a story with my 1940 collection. As such, various Dutch aircraft have been sought and added to the stash. There are some gaps, which I hope will be filled in time. So far I have examples of Fokker D.XXI, Fokker T.V, Fokker C.VD and Koolhoven FK-51. At this stage, I have no intention of covering events outside Europe, so Dutch colonial interests will be mentioned only in passing.

With very limited space in the display cabinet, I have chosen the D.XXI as my first build. I'm not really in the mood for biplanes just now, and the T.V won't fit in the space I have! So, let's take a look at my first foray into the aircraft that were arrayed against the invaders in May 1940.

49964609762_757eedc9f7_b.jpg

The MPM kit has lovely box art. On the reverse are four profiles showing the markings options in the kit.

49963824263_90bcf0c7b3_b.jpg

Instructions are a loose leaf A5 size, printed cleanly in black and white. They follow the standard form of MPM/Azur/Special Hobby instructions, and will need some interpretation for the location and fit of parts. I'll go through and mark colour callouts, and note anything that may need my attention during the build. 

I forgot to mention that the instructions are available in colour as a PDF download from the MPM web site. A link is provided in the printed instructions.

49963824218_76cdfebda4_b.jpg

Three aircraft are covered by the transfers, one of which is also depicted in German markings as it was captured and flown in October 1940.

49963824173_3298843fc9_b.jpg

A small PE sheet includes printed parts for the instrument panel and seat belts. There is an option in the instructions to build the cockpit entry open. I don't think I'm going to bother with that, as it involves cutting the transparent part. Eek!

49964326566_462a51332a_b.jpg

There's a comprehensive chunk of resin in the box, too. Some parts look horribly fragile, so they will probably be replaced by brass rod for strength. An entire cockpit tub and sidewalls is also included. I rather think I shall simply use the plastic parts, since almost all of it will be invisible once completed. My sanity must occasionally supersede modelling fidelity. Besides, most of the detail is adequately moulded on the plastic parts anyway.

49964609497_c62b4ba59d_b.jpg

49964326436_f32ed5def9_b.jpg

49964609372_238bb95404_b.jpg

And there they are, the plastic parts. Neatly moulded, as you'd expect, with fine detail and hardly any flash anywhere.

Construction may commence soon, but I wanted to plant my flag and kick this workbench thread off. As ever, any information that can be added from my friends here will be most welcome.

• Like 25

Looking forward to this. And I can imagine that sticking with the plastic detailing where it’s good enough will save you a lot of time and trouble with resin parts that don’t fit.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi,

Nice subject. Will follow this build.

In case it helps......., I find these quite useful websites for Dutch subjects and some are in English or partly (but some are not):

https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php/en/aircraft/aircraft-f/681-fokker-dxxi-uk?start=5

https://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-f/vliegtuigen-f-fokker-d21

Another very useful tool is the official Department of Defence image data base. Type in the subject and usually a wealth of photo graphic material surfaces. Not only pure Dutch subjects by the way. Any Dutch association with regards to RAF, Royal Navy, WWII, NATO will also often produce very interesting photo material. I once used it for a RAF 320 squadron B-25 Mitchell for example.

It is in the Dutch language, but you will have no problem navigating through this. The photo page can take a few seconds to load. At times it appears that you obtained only one page, but put your cursor in the bottom right white space for 2 seconds and the next page will load. Just typing "Fokker D21" will give you a good amount of results:

https://nimh-beeldbank.defensie.nl/

Just thought it might be useful although you may well be familiar already with these sources after the Koolhoven build.

Rgds,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
trying to incorporate the link
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I hope our Dutch BMers will forgive me, but I never quite know how to refer to their country. Is it Holland, or The Netherlands, or are they references to regions of the country? Being this many years old, you'd think I'd know this sort of stuff by now!

The Netherlands consists of 12 provinces, two of them are Holland (North and South). The other 10 provinces are sometimes a bit peeved that the country gets referred to as "Holland" but there are worse things in life.

Happy to see some Dutch content here. Here's the story by Peter Breedveld of George Maduro, and the potential importance of the seemingly futile resistance of the Dutch against Nazi-Germany's invasion:

The Battle of Stalingrad (1943) is seen as the great turning point in the Second World War. In that battle, the Germans were dealt a blow and the start of the German defeat was heralded. In reality, this already happened at the beginning of the war, during the German invasion of the Netherlands.

In the relatively unknown battle of Ypenburg, the German air fleet was decimated. Nearly three hundred planes were destroyed by the Dutch army, which had to fight with antique weapons. That was partly the cause of the failure of a German invasion of England.

The battle for villa Dorrepaal was again crucial for the battle of Ypenburg, in which the Dutch armed forces managed to temporarily recapture the military airfield at Ypenburg from the Germans. In the early morning of May 10, 1940, German paratroopers were entrenched in that villa, which made it impossible for the Dutch to pass through to Ypenburg, which is a few kilometers behind the villa. Three Dutch soldiers, with provisions on their way to a Dutch searchlight post in Stompwijk, were shot from this villa.

Villa Dorrepaal is directly opposite the Tolbrug over the Vliet, at the end of the Fonteynenburglaan. Now there is a garden center of the Schroeder van der Kolk foundation, which works with mentally handicapped people. Back then Dorrepaal was a rest home. Diagonally opposite the villa, on the other side of the Vliet, where now the Fonteynenburgkerk stands, was the country house Heeswijk. In Heeswijk there was a section of Dutch infantry recruits and a patrol of the mounted artillery, who were engaged in a shootout with the Germans on the other side.

During the shelling a young officer arrived in Heeswijk, second lieutenant George Maduro. Maduro was commissioned to recapture Dorrepaal villa and to clear the way to Ypenburg. Maduro decided to apply a kind of "shock and awe" tactic: he had the few troops at his disposal storm the villa from different sides after firing five shots with a hidden anti-aircraft gun to give the Germans the impression they were facing an overwhelming force.

One group of soldiers was ordered by Maduro to enter the villa from the front. A second group, which he led himself, stormed Dorrepaal from the side. A third group was left in Heeswijk to provide back cover. Maduro instructed an ensign to take over in case he died.

The storming took place at a killer pace, with the men running at full speed across the Tolbrug. In the meantime they were fired upon from Dorrepaal. Maduro was the first to enter the villa. He heard loud footsteps and creaking glass, but he didn't see Germans. Until he noticed a cellar door, which he opened. Four old ladies emerged, telling him that there were Germans in the basement. “Hand hoch! Nicht schiessen! ” Maduro called into the basement. "Wir schiessen!" Was the answer.

Maduro had a corporal, who had entered the house with him, descend the basement stairs and fired several shots. Cries of fear and pain echoed and then: “Bitte, nicht mehr schiessen!” The conquest of Villa Dorrepaal was a fact, preventing the German invasion of The Hague. For the time being, of course, because after the German bombardment of Rotterdam and the subsequent Dutch capitulation, Ypenburg and the court city still fell into German hands.

Maduro did a lot of resistance work during the occupation years. He was eventually arrested and imprisoned in Dachau concentration camp, where he died of typhoid fever in February 1945. He was knighted posthumously. The miniature city of Madurodam is named after him.

Edited by elger
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 8

A good post, Elger. The Dutch experience is, sadly, largely overlooked in this country and seems always to be overshadowed by 'Market Garden'. The stories of forced evacuations, brutality towards civilians and the 'Hongerwinter' are shocking but little known outside the Netherlands. A visit to the National War and Resistance Museum at Overloon in Noord Brabant about 20 miles south of Nijmegen is quite an education; aside from the spectacular military exhibits, the comprehensive section covering occupation and resistance leaves you with no doubt about the suffering and heroism of Dutch citizens during the war years. 

A worthy subject, Heather.

Jon

• Like 5

As has been said a much forgotten/over looked part of WW2, having visited Overloon twice I take my hat off to the Dutch people.

Looking forward to watching this turn into another masterpiece in your hands Heather.

Stay safe                  Roger

How can I not have a seat at the bar for this 🙂

By coincidence, I just spent the last night researching (ahem - you know, clicking links and diving deeper into the rabbit hole) the options for the C.5D kit in the stash.. The Germans lost nearly half their Ju.52 transport fleet in the West in the battles in the Netherlands, bombed, strafed and shot down or under artillery fire and accidents. 

I did come across a D. XXI flight doing so, I'll check the browser history for it. 

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I'll check the browser history for it.

Found it:

http://www.bhummel.dds.nl/index2.html

It is in Dutch and a bit 1990s framed site, but contains a lot of information & pictures, including history for several specific aircraft.

Also very handy for the T.V as one of the serials in the Valom is for a T.V based on Schiphol that had no engines so wasn't operational at all.

• Like 2

I thought I might spend an hour or two this evening trying to come to terms with my airbrush. I wanted to see if I could replicate the reasonably simple three-colour camo pattern for the Fokker.

I set up the booth and compressor, and got the base coat on my paint mule. A while later, the Colourcoats enamel was dry enough to mask. I thought I’d use blutack sausages. It’s not easy to get the pattern to go where you want, but this was a test run. A second colour went on, and a while later a third. Once dry enough, I tried to get the sausages back off the mule.

The mule is now in the bin, being a compete stuck mess of paint and blutack. The Fokker will be painted with a hairy stick. Honestly, life is too short for all that mucking about.

Anyone want a slightly used airbrush? One owner that wishes she hadn’t bothered to buy it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

I haven't mastered my airbrush either.  At my age I might not bother.

I have found a use for it though.  When my desktop computer needs its brains blown out a compressor-powered airbrush is just the thing.  I take off the access panel and go to it.  Quiet and powerful, it puts up great billows of dust from all the pesky crevices that a brush won't reach.  I hold a vacuum cleaner head next to it and the mess never gets to settle.  And no messy overspray either.

• Like 6

The 1940 collection rolls on - very interesting subject Heather, and thanks for the history and background info @elger.

Your previous builds have suffered nothing by being brush painted, so packing away the airbrush is no great loss as far as the quality of the results is concerned. If you enjoy brush painting more, then it's an easy decision.

• Like 3

The airbrush has its uses in the railway modelling side of life. Where I need a great slab of colour and nothing fiddly, it comes into its own. 

In a lot of cases my issue is down to lack of practice with a dual-action brush. I’m definitely a single-action operator, so I think I’ll seek out a better quality single-action airbrush again.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, RJP said:

I haven't mastered my airbrush either.  At my age I might not bother.

Funny I only started airbrushing last year, having failed miserably to get to grips with them in my youth. I decided to buy a cheapo airbrush and compressor off eBay, it cost about €40 for the lot so if it hadn’t worked out it wouldn’t have been too much money wasted,  but as luck would have it I got fairly decent results straight off and it’s now my tool of choice for any large paintwork, I still brush paint for interiors etc.

The major differences between this outing and my youthful efforts are, that I read up on airbrushes before using, I had a compressor this time rather than compressed air cans and I’m spraying acrylics rather than enamels.

Ive since invested in an iwata airbrush and a badger compressor, both of which I’ve yet to use as I’m getting good results from my cheapo setup.

49057743153_a8a5b4a820_c.jpg

49328006767_6691b55301_c.jpg

49947758168_5c82aeac57_c.jpg

The Typhoon was my first airbrushed build ( done with bluetack sausages and maskol) the Stuka is still on the bench. 

TLDR: I now love my airbrush.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

I must admit to some success with the Maskol method. I might deploy that on the T.V, but for dinky little models that sit on the palm of the hand I think the paint brush is my preferred method. It’s also easier to see if you’ve missed a bit behind struts and things. 

• Like 3

Each to their own. I have to admit you get a very high level of finish with your brush painted models (btw the tyffie and the mustang are 1/72, the Stuka 1/48 but I did do a 1/72 one in a very similar Spanish civil war scheme last year)

Edited by Marklo

13 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

The mule is now in the bin, being a compete stuck mess of paint and blutack.

I wonder if the enamel & bluetack might be chemically incompatible.

It works fine with acrylics, being a bit latexey in nature.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, alt-92 said:
14 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I wonder if the enamel & bluetack might be chemically incompatible

My thoughts exactly. I think acrylics when mixed down spray easier as well.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

It works fine with acrylics, being a bit latexey in nature.

It’s probably the famous quick-drying Colourcoats effect. It’s fine with tape, but blutack is probably more likely to stick to the "dry" paint. It’s probably fine after 24 hours, but 30 minutes is too soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

I've often used blutak sausages and colourcoats or xtracolor enamels with no problems (though I have a nagging feeling at the back of my head that I did encounter this issue many, many years ago).

It may well be there is a degree of incompatibility, and it could be than in your test spraying you were laying down too heavy a coat (and maybe not allowing enough drying time). But using misted coats of enamel, I've had no problem .... and of course if you don't mist light coats the paint can build up under the blutak anyway which rather defeats the object of the exercise.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Hi,

I have stepped away from airbrushing enamels completely apart from detailing with an artist brush. Too much hit and miss for me personally. 

Perhaps ok when you are used to them, but for me Mr color (with proper mask and good ventilation) gives a consistent smooth result provided its thinned with mr levelling thinner.

Mr. Hobby and Tamiya acrylics also with mr levelling thinner gives an almost similar result.

Fail proof for me. (Well, 90% of the time)

For metal coating: AK xtreme metal are so forgiving and don't peel when masking..........but that is just me  and my personal preference.

Respect for those with excellent enamel airbrush skills though.

Rgds,

Rob