Its been 45 years be Kind. Spitfire.

Its been 45 years since I spent any time modelling so I thought I would start with a couple of the latest Airfix 1/72 Spitfires after all they should be quite easy, shouldn't they?              I decided on a One up one Down for each of the Marks, and attempted my first open cockpit, All four are brush painted and finished with a Matte lacquer, I also used some Decal fix for the first time.

I am sure I will look back on this post in many years to come and realise just how many mistakes and poor detailing I have made with these Spitfires and where I could have spent more time getting things right.

The canopy fits are appalling! and I considered not posting the images because of that one poorly detailed item alone. 

However I look forward to your constructive criticism which can only improve my skills.

Please be kind.

My photo and posting skills I am sure will also improve as we go along.spacer.png

Appalling Canopy Fit!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngI think my Aerial wire is a bit thin!

spacer.pngspacer.pngThat black mark on the tail plane ia a complete mystery to me, only just noticed it when posting photos.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Parrish
  • Like 36

Great job, most people worry about antenna wires being too thick! Yours looks just fine, great work on your return. I chose 1/48 when I restarted modelling, fat fingers weren't going ro go well with 1/72. Decal placement is very good too, nice planes to get back in with.

Bravo !

And the clear plastic is and always will be a nightmare - well it is for me.

You should have seen my first on returning to modelling.

Fortunately no photographic evidence exists.

Very impressive work for some one that hasn't done any modelling for that long. Your brush painting is very good. Aerial wires are quite thin, yours looks perfect, you wouldn't want it any thicker. Looking forward to seeing your next model.

As far as I can see a very credible return to the Hobby,the canopies of these kit's have always been a tight fit with a certain amount of trial and

error needed and are really not ideal for cutting and mounting open so don't worry so much about that,everything else looks great so get a few

more under the belt (if you can find somewhere open around here) and enjoy!

Nothing to worry about there. Two very nice models to display. You can be chuffed with those. Don’t worry about the canopy. Steve hit the nail on the head there. 
A nice return to the hobby. 

53 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Good result following a 45 year layoff.

What glue did you use for the canopies?

Wood glue, I may remove the really bad one and have another go.

15 minutes ago, Parrish said:

Wood glue, I may remove the really bad one and have another go.

That's the right type of glue (PVA) but you are better off using a PVA that is designed specially for the job. I use Pacer 500 which is thin, dries clear and is pretty strong. It can also be used to fill any gaps and will help blend the canopy into the fuselage and get rid of gaps.

• Like 2

Great work!

I'm a recent returnee, too, although yet to get started, so really good to see your efforts paying off. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to your next build.

Kind regards,

Mark