Which low-loader to transport an RN/RAF Phantom?

bootneck

Something a bit different for me,  I have a damaged 1:144 scale RN/RAF Phantom fuselage that I would like to model as being transported on a low loader.  Can anyone advise the types of low loader and their prime mover that would typically have been used to transport Phantoms in UK during the 1970s/80s?   I know next to nothing about vehicles, therefore I would be grateful for any help and advice; especially with diagrams, photo's and/or measurements as I may have to scratch build the transporter.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Terry Gander's Encyclopaedia of the Modern* Royal Air Force contains the specifications for a "Semi-trailer, Low Platform, 10 ton, 2 wheeled, LWB, Tasker"

Length: 12.980 mm

Width: 2,890 mm

Height: 1,520 mm

Ground Clearance: 230 mm

Internal Length: 10,430 mm

Which is described as the replacement for the Queen Mary trailer named the Queen Elizabeth trailer - no pictures or plans though.

* First published when the 1980s were the modern era !

Depending in the scene you are planning could you could use a generic civilian rig rather than a service tractor and trailer:

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

It looks like the main wing box was transported as a separate single unit

spacer.png

Thanks Richard, those measurements look good.  I think the transition to using civilian contractors did start back then.  I did a Google search but just found the photo's you show, which are mainly post Phantom era museum stuff and the like.  If possible, I would like to do a little dio with an operational cab being transported.  If I have to do a Millenium period transporter then I would still appreciate any advice on the types and dimensions used. 

cheers,

Mike

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Richard, those measurements look good.  I think the transition to using civilian contractors did start back then.  I did a Google search but just found the photo's you show, which are mainly post Phantom era museum stuff and the like.  If possible, I would like to do a little dio with an operational cab being transported.  If I have to do a Millenium period transporter then I would still appreciate any advice on the types and dimensions used. 

cheers,

Mike

Perhaps something like this Mike all-be-it they are carrying Tornados:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The aircraft are being transported by the Joint Aircraft Recovery and Transportation Squadron but appear to be using civilian registered vehicles ?

I could do something like that.  I do have about 34 Tornado kits, at the last count, so assembling one sans wings could be another idea.  I had better keep my concentration on the Phantom though for now.

cheers,

Mike

• Haha 1