A couple of weeks ago I received a box of spare parts for my scratchbuilds  from a fellow BM member (Thanks again, Ben)

Amongst the tank bits were the parts for an old part painted Ertl X wing. I've never built one and, me being me, decided a few changes might improve it.

It struck me that if these things were dogfighting in atmosphere then a good turning circle would be an idea. So why not use spoilers? same as the Snowspeeder.

While I was at it, a different low viz (ish) paint scheme might be good too. And, markings, well, The D day aniversary  is coming up shortly! So, onto the pictures.

aNi1ZmQ.jpg

The stand is an old Airfix jobbie, the plaque came with the kit. You can see the RH spoilers deployed.

5YFMjjc.jpg

I added a tank side skirt down each side as extra armour. Something like the Fw 190's used. The pilot is from the spares box. 

c6IAhZj.jpg

A better view of the side armour. The camo is Tamiya rattle cans. The darker one from a distance for the mottled effect.

y5BzrQ2.jpg

Rather than red 2 or whatever I thought D day stripes might look good, especially with the anniversary coming up.

The spoilers are actually made from HO railway fencing. The yellow areas in the wings/foils should be voids but with the spoilers I decided they'd need beefing up.

So I added card and a couple of tank bits with Forth bridge rivets in them.

AmyFvxz.jpg

And a view from behind.

cuKSxRq.jpg

The other side has the spoilers retracted. I added tank wheels and bits of track here on the back of the foils.

HNZaDOC.jpg

The R2 astro unit is currently trying to find a vector out of the mancave.

VsZ4k12.jpg

I added a couple of service points underneath. More tank bits. And a Spitfire radiator forward of them. It hides a slot in the plastic.

And that's your lot. It was an enjoyable build, the only 'straight' (ish) kit I've build in a very long time. But I started another kreiger scratchbuild today!

Thanks very much for looking and your comments are welcome. Pete

• Like 18

Excellent job Pete and really pleased you managed to find a use for it (and some of the other bits). 

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...