Eduard Bf 109 E4 1:48

Just finished Eduard's Bf- 109 E4 offering at 1:48. This is the first 1:48 aircraft I've attempted since returning to the hobby and I'm pretty pleased with it. The kit went together pretty well although I don't know what I messed up attaching the instrument panel to the fuselage as the front section of the cockpit wouldn't then fit- I had to lop off the glass on the gunsight for it to fit. Apart from that pretty straightforward and enjoyable build. 

I went for the box art scheme depicting  Yellow 10 of JG.51 flown by Ofw.Fritz Beeck who was shot down on the 24th August 1940 near East Langdon (ha makes its sound like I've done my research which I haven't!). I mainly chose this scheme as the mottling looked achievable for my first attempt at this technique with the airbrush. 

I was slightly confused over the colours used on this scheme as the paintshceme reference in the instructions seemed to show the RLM02 to be more grey but the box art made it look slightly more green so I ended up using Tamiya's XF22 for the base with a 50:50 mix of XF22+XF63 for the splinter camo. The mottling was done out using two layers of these colours. Again I wasn't sure if this was right but I was pleased with how it looked. 

I kept the weathering light with an oil wash and then more oils on the panel lines and a few dots of various colours added to create a bit of variation of tone. 

Anyway here she is, onwards to the Airfix 1:48 Mk 1 Hurricane and Tamiya's new Spitfire Mk1. 

IMG_5929

IMG_5928

IMG_5927

IMG_5930

IMG_5931

IMG_5924

IMG_5917

IMG_5912

IMG_5923

Edited by GRK
add picture
  • Like 38

Very neat and clean '09 with generally (see below…) subtle and very effective weathering! The dark painted opening of the exhaust sheath is a particularly neat detail (that many 'E' modellers forget) as are the wing cannon muzzles.

The prop blades strike a bit of a jarring note, looking like they belong more on a machine ready for the scrap yard. 😉

Really excellent modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

30 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Your first attempt with an airbrush beats my best attempt to date. Magnificent work!

Thanks! Sorry my description was slightly misleading not my first attempt at airbrushing but my first attempt at mottling with an airbrush! I’ll go back and make that more clear. 

30 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Really great result, i cant see you had a long break in your modelling, looks fantastic

I think my last 1:48 was probably when I was 18 or so, almost 15 years ago now. But plenty of recent experience on 1:35 armour. Nice to get back to aircraft!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

The prop blades strike a bit of a jarring note, looking like they belong more on a machine ready for the scrap yard. 😉

Ha yes I completely agree on the props. The hairspray cane off a bit too easily I’m afraid. I should have stripped them and started again- another lesson learnt for the next kit

Edited by GRK
  • Like 1

Great work. If this is your first attempt at a Luftwaffe scheme with an airbrush the I really need to raise my game!😀

Edited by Bangor Lad
Typo

Excellent Bf 109. I think your RLM02  is a bit to green. I use Mr Hobby  Aqueous RLM02 which looks right to me. However it is only a little bit too green, so it still looks good.

Your mottling and weathering is first rate. 

Thanks all for the kind words- i'll be taking plenty of encouragement on to the Hurricane which will be next up I think. 

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Beauty mate! :clap2:  That's a job well done, with an outstanding paint job; thanks for giving us a look!  😀

Thanks Gary- missing the shows and the local club to have at look at other peoples work and have a bit of show and tell so its great to be able to display it here. 

4 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent Bf 109. I think your RLM02  is a bit to green. I use Mr Hobby  Aqueous RLM02 which looks right to me. However it is only a little bit too green, so it still looks good.

Your mottling and weathering is first rate. 

Thanks Greg. I think next time i'll ask for a little advice before diving in to the painting- I've got absolutely no idea of what these Luftwaffe colours should look like! Now I've got used to spraying Tamiya I'm reluctant to try others so I'll have to do a bit of research on paint mixes to get it right next time. Saying that I did use MRP for my last armour build but don't want to get into the habit of spraying lacquers all the time.  

ive also just realised I’ve forgotten to add the head test/armour to the canopy! I’ll add that in today!

Edited by GRK

2 hours ago, GRK said:

Thanks all for the kind words- i'll be taking plenty of encouragement on to the Hurricane which will be next up I think. 

Thanks Gary- missing the shows and the local club to have at look at other peoples work and have a bit of show and tell so its great to be able to display it here. 

Thanks Greg. I think next time i'll ask for a little advice before diving in to the painting- I've got absolutely no idea of what these Luftwaffe colours should look like! Now I've got used to spraying Tamiya I'm reluctant to try others so I'll have to do a bit of research on paint mixes to get it right next time. Saying that I did use MRP for my last armour build but don't want to get into the habit of spraying lacquers all the time.  

ive also just realised I’ve forgotten to add the head test/armour to the canopy! I’ll add that in today!

Personally I think  the Mr hobby Aqueous paints make the best Luftwaffe colours. They are very close to Tamiya acrylic paint as far as Airbrushing. I use an undercoat of

Mr surfacer 1500 and Mr leveler thinner.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:24 AM, Spitfire31 said:

he prop blades strike a bit of a jarring note, looking like they belong more on a machine ready for the scrap yard. 😉

I'm not sure I agree with you there...no offense intended  🥴  I've seen photos of some pretty beaten up props on operational WWII fighter planes, not much different that the ones on this Bf 109 model.  

On another note, I'm very impressed with the OP's first attempt at mottling with an airbrush.  I have yet to do a '109 myself, and that very aspect is what has me hesitating.  I think you did a stellar job for a first time!

Edited by Curt B
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Curt B said:

On another note, I'm very impressed with the OP's first attempt at mottling with an airbrush.  I have yet to do a '109 myself, and that very aspect is what has me hesitating.  I think you did a stellar job for a first time!

Thanks Curt. I was a bit daunted about the mottling too. I did a few searches on this site to see other examples and had a go. I kept the paint thin, pressure low and just kept the airbrush moving. I first mottled the rlm02 so there wasn’t such a contrast been the blue and the dark green which I then applied over the top.