Lady in the Dark

Thom216

Alright, my work bench has not seen some 'action' for a while and a confluence of purchases and browsing has brought together a 1/72 Dragon P-61 kit with this GB.

Let's see if I can bust my non-completion GB record!

So, as the title states, this will be as the box art, the P-61B Lady in the Dark, credited with the last aerial kill of WWII.

Obligatory sprue shots...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit decals are looking a little yellow...

spacer.png

...so some help from a Print Scales sheet is in the mail.

spacer.png

Along with that will be a PE set for the 'pit and a set of resin wheels, all also in the mail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I may also see about some resin engines, as the kit's are a little spare of detail. I have time to decide though, as only the base kit is in hand at the moment, so the build won't start right away.

Thom

• Like 4

Update! Quickboost engines and resin barrels for the top turret are now also on the way!😀

And some learn-ed information. Contrary to the box top and the ins, it is 'Lady in the Dark,' and not of.

Also, apparently, the kit comes with the wrong top turret, as in the Lady's was fixed and the barrels were not able to elevate. So that will require a little work to fix the kit part so it at least looks right.

And the nose art is wrong from the kit. The Lady was not dressed in red, but blue instead. Have to say that has me a little bummed, as the red really pops. And a lady in red is always a good thing.😉 Don't know which I'll go with yet. Historical accuracy or a little bit of Modeler's License?

We shall see...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Alight, construction has begun! No pics as yet, but I'm getting paint in the cockpit and getting the PE ready. The wheels, decals, engines and barrels have showed up, so everything I need is now in hand.

I did pause on the main gear bays, as the details inside are on the anemic side. I was considering going back and building some detail in there, but now I don't think I have to. In reading a few other P-61 builds on this great forum, the B models had bisected gear doors, with the front, outboard half remaining open and the rest closed up. (?) With that being the case, almost nothing will be visible, which eases up on the workload.

I'll get some more work done and post some pics tomorrow.

Model on!

Thom

9 hours ago, Thom216 said:

In reading a few other P-61 builds on this great forum, the B models had bisected gear doors, with the front, outboard half remaining open and the rest closed up. (?)

Gidday Thom, I did the Airfix P-61 "Lady in the Dark" about a year ago I think. You are correct regarding the gear doors. It seems they all open to lower or raise the gear then most close up again. I don't know why but photos of actual aircraft (not models) seems to confirm this. Mine aren't correct because I had trouble fitting them and actually seeing them, due to the black plastic. But I do like the aircraft still. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thom, I did the Airfix P-61 "Lady in the Dark" about a year ago I think. You are correct regarding the gear doors. It seems they all open to lower or raise the gear then most close up again. I don't know why but photos of actual aircraft (not models) seems to confirm this. Mine aren't correct because I had trouble fitting them and actually seeing them, due to the black plastic. But I do like the aircraft still. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

There are like the Mitchell in that way.

And now pics as promised. Not much headway, but I think most of the paint is done for the interior. I still need to scratch and weather and add the PE.

spacer.png+

The IP is almost done. Need to paint the pedals...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most of it looks pretty good detail wise straight from the spru. My one gripe is the spru-gates for the cowls. Right on the interior lips, which is a 'joy' to snip out and then clean.

Not the best place to have them, that's fur shore. But they are both looking pretty good after some cleaning.

spacer.png

That is all for now.

Model on!

• Like 5

On 6/2/2020 at 4:13 PM, Thom216 said:

So, as the title states, this will be as the box art, the P-61B Lady in the Dark, credited with the last aerial kill of WWII.

A great choice Thom - you couldn't get more 'on topic'!

Cheers

• Like 1

Thom,

As Cliff says, spot-on topic, I've always liked the Black Widow and have this kit in the stash so I'll be taking notes.

Others have reported problems with Print Scale decals cracking up, I've no experience of them myself so I don't have an opinion one way or another, but it may be worth testing one of those that you're not going to use before committing to the kit.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 4:51 AM, Thom216 said:

Also, apparently, the kit comes with the wrong top turret, as in the Lady's was fixed and the barrels were not able to elevate.

Gidday Thom, I've been going back over your thread here. IIRC (and my memory is doubtful sometimes) while researching for my own build I thought I read that the turret could be locked in the forward firing zero elevation position, like a fixed quad gun pod. I didn't read of different types of turret. That doesn't mean there weren't different turrets though. HTH and doesn't confuse. Regards, Jeff.

On 6/2/2020 at 11:13 PM, Thom216 said:

Lady in the Dark, credited with the last aerial kill of WWII.

I also read that they didn't even fire their guns on that occasion. The Japanese pilot saw them diving on him, he took evasive action and crashed into the sea. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thom, I've been going back over your thread here. IIRC (and my memory is doubtful sometimes) while researching for my own build I thought I read that the turret could be locked in the forward firing zero elevation position, like a fixed quad gun pod. I didn't read of different types of turret. That doesn't mean there weren't different turrets though. HTH and doesn't confuse. Regards, Jeff.

Jeff,

I was of a similar opinion, doesn't mean to say I'm right though and I don't have the time to go digging out my best reference on the type which is the MBI book from many years ago.

• Like 1

So, just to make sure about the dorsal gun, I did some image-hunting during some 'quiet' time at work, and came up with three images. Unfortunately they are all from just about the same angle, and I find myself unable to direct the cameraman to snap pics from angles that I need. But, a few of these, I think, are telling.

spacer.png

This is a bit of a sad one, the plane in question at the boneyard

spacer.png

And then one of the better shots, if a bit grainy.

spacer.png

Looking at the upper gun position, I do think it is a barbett and not a turret. The top is flattened and the back end drops down from a sharp angle, rather then the curve as seen with the turret dome.

So, that is the direction I shall be going in!😉

• Like 2

Alright, new build pics incoming!

Before adding the PE, I decided to fix the mounts for the belly cannon. As provided, the kit guns are added before the fuselage goes together, and rather than mask the barrels or paint them afterward, I cut some styrene tube for sleeves and glued them in place.

spacer.png

I had to grind some material away from the inside and sand down the sides of the tubes so would lay straight, then secured them tight with CA.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looking straight enough.

spacer.png

There will also be a little play in them so I can get the barrels straight even if the sleeves are a little off.

As for the barrels, I think I'll use some cut brass, seeing how the kit parts are just plastic rods.

Started adding the PE to the cockpit sides. And of course I didn't take any close pics of the starboard side which has a lot more added... I'm missing a few lever quadrants seeing as the part pinged off into the neverworld once it had been cut free. Oh well.

spacer.png

And the parts being loaded into place...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Shoot, I forgot the dang belts!! Thankfully the fuse is not all glued together yet! 😅

That's where she sits so far. I might get the fuse closed up tomorrow!

Model on!

• Like 6

Got those PE belts in place. Wasn't really difficult even with the seats in place. A spray of matte clear covered any shine from the CA.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And thankfully I remembered to add ballast to keep her from sitting back on her heels. I pressed some plumber's putty into the cavity behind the cockpit, but ahead of the wing. I'll be adding some to the nose cone as well.

spacer.png

And main fuselage together, but before sanding the seams. 

spacer.png

Then I was going to add the nose, but found that it is only a butt-join, which isn't bad but I would think there should be some tabs...

spacer.png

...and there is no bulkhead, so we get to see a bit of cavity looking forward.

spacer.png

So before the nose can go on, I need to had at least a half-bulkhead, some mounting tabs to help glue it in place, and some more ballast to ensure she stays on all gear. Not terrible, but I guess in 2002 Dragon was not worried about those little things...

Model on!

Thom

• Like 4

So to do the bulkhead, I painted the lower edge if the nose cone and pressed that to some blank plastic.

spacer.png

Then I glued tabs on, filled it with plumber's putty for weight and put a little speader bar in there, so the sides matched up a bit better.

spacer.png

Then it was glued on. I had to add a little sliver of plastic to the roof of the gear bay as there had been a gap there as well, but that all turned out well. I may do a little detailing in there, but not much.

spacer.png

But, the join on the outside is, in a word, ugly.

spacer.png

I'm going to have to clean that up with CA filler, sand it out and rescribe the join line.

Til then, model on!

Thom

• Like 4

Okay, I've been looking at other Dragon P-61 builds to see if anyone has come across this. So far, if they have they haven't mentioned it, but I got a big step on both upper wings where they meet the fuselage. Looks like the thickness of the wing is greater than the fairing along the fuse, seeing as the underside is almost perfect...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think my only solution will be to deepen the slot where the wing's mounting peg goes in, dropping it down until the upper edge is even, and then worry about sanding/filler afterward on the underside.

Any ideas welcome.

Model on!

Thom

• Like 1

Gidday Thom, All things considered I think your solution could be the best. Get the top join looking good as the lower join will be obscured somewhat by engines and fuel tanks. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Yeah, that'll be the way to go. Drop the wings a bit and worry about the bottom side. Before that however, I need to protect the interior from my thick sausage fingers, so the canopy glass is going on. I used 60 Second Loctite Universal Glue, the same I use when applying PE. They fit good, for the most part. The sides are little wide at the back of the main canopy but I can nudge them in. The front though is a little lower than the level of the nose, but there's enough plastic there to sand it down. The glass over the radar operator was also a little wide at the bottom, but I think a little scraping will cure that ill. The rear cone fit great!

spacer.png

With that setting and the wings just needing a bit of sanding along the leading edge, I turned what was next in the instructions, the booms. First though, I wanted to see if, as the ins say, the gear must be put on at this stage. Happily it looks like they'll be an easy slip-in after the halves are put together. I'll be able to leave them off until after paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Model on!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2

Short update, no pics. I made a mistake. I really should have just taped down the canopies rather than gluing them in-place. I thought I had the 'pits closed up enough to avoid dust getting inside, but I was wrong and now must take care to make sure as little gets in as possible. Live and learn, huh?

Model on!

Thom

Alright, so the nose is now on. I filled any gaps with CA, hit it with an accelerator and sanded that smooth. Then some dymo tape and a scriber put the seam line back in.

spacer.png

Also took care of the belly and its seems. The black paint is just to help check the line.

spacer.png

The booms were finally cemented together and taped/clamped.

spacer.png

And one wing was finally offered up the fuselage.

spacer.png

Once I get the seams neated on the booms and the other wing on, they can all start coming together.

Thanks for looking, model on!

Thom

• Like 1

Gidday Thom, wings fitted to an aircraft is a milestone I guess. I don't know how much 'give' or snug the wing stubs are on your model, but a trick I tried when doing my Airfix build about a year ago to get the wings right. I taped the fuselage upside down across a block of wood and used spacers to get both wings with the same dihedral. The flat roof of the fuselage (I keep calling it the hull) of this aircraft lends itself to this idea. 

Northrop P61 GB 40

I held the block of wood in the vice to the left. (Notice the very tidy workbench).

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Thom, wings fitted to an aircraft is a milestone I guess. I don't know how much 'give' or snug the wing stubs are on your model, but a trick I tried when doing my Airfix build about a year ago to get the wings right. I taped the fuselage upside down across a block of wood and used spacers to get both wings with the same dihedral. The flat roof of the fuselage (I keep calling it the hull) of this aircraft lends itself to this idea. 

Northrop P61 GB 40

I held the block of wood in the vice to the left. (Notice the very tidy workbench).

HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Very 'tidy' and neatly done.

Have to say, I eye-balled mine in comparison after looking at a three view diagram, and then sat it flat on the bench with a marker holding up each wing.

I think it looks good.

spacer.png

Have to neaten up the join of course... I slathered on some PPP.

spacer.png

Then wiped it away with wet cotton buds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not perfect and I think I will hit it with a bit of sanding, as there is still a bit of a step there and there.

I also cut a hole into the top of the boom where it mates under the wing, and I'll be adding some ballast into those. Dragon had kindly already left one open.

spacer.png

A little cleaning up and I think the booms can go on before too long!

Model on!

Thom

• Like 4

On 7/5/2020 at 12:29 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Hi Thom

Do not hesitate to put as much ballast as you can in the engine nacelles ...

Best Regards

Patrice

Words from the Wise, I imagine!😁