Wings of the New Japan

Douglas DC-7C, JA6301, 'City of San Francisco', operated on the intercontinental routes in the late 1950s by Japan Air Lines.

This is the Roden kit in 1/144, built oob. It has lovely box art, and the fit was reasonable in most places. Just remember to use lots of nose weight! The decals take ages to soak and were prone to cracking, but not so bad that I couldn't slide together. 

I used spray cans for the two main colours and Humbrol 40 for the landing gear and wheel wells. I ran out of e-z line so only one wire done so far! Light weathering with Flory dark dirt wash.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

IMG-6836.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Hi LR,

Nice result! The classy JAL livery certainly suits the DC7.

I like your weathering too.

Would really like to see some photo realistic window decals for the Douglas propliners those blank pale grey rectangles are just crying out for some passengers peering out!

I agree with Wulfman, it is a great addition to your lovely collection!

What's next?

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the positive comments gents, really appreciated! I agree about the cabin windows though, I saw some decals from Authentic Airliners for a different type and they looked superb, but very pricey! It's a small scale though so not too noticeable hopefully.

Not sure about the next build, I have a Connie, a Trident and a Vanguard but I might do something completely different; looking for inspiration for the next kit as I'm also considering a 1/72 Valiant, Javelin T3 or the A Models Dove, or maybe one of my 1/48 jets, or another yellow chopper! Too much in the stash.