Grumman Hellcat Mk.I 1/72 Eduard

Hi folks,

this my latest rendition of the well established Eduard kit built from the FAA Dual Combo kit. As usually with my builds, I implemented some aftermarkets that in my opinion improve certain details; this time I went for HGW raised rivets and Res-Im extented flaps.

The kit was painted with Gunze Aqueous and AK Real Colors.

The full build will be described, along with my other build, in already announced Valiant Wings book on the HELLCAT.

Cheers

Libor

49963405402_1b0b1b370f_o.jpg

49962621358_650625e66e_o.jpg

49963405367_e7e1519dc5_o.jpg

49963124016_8d5650641e_o.jpg

• Like 52
  • Thanks 6

A truly exceptional build. I too find it hard to believe that's 1/72 scale, especially after seeing the cockpit.

• Thanks 1

This is really nice, I’m in awe at how much detail you’ve got into 1/72. I’d be pleased if I could get 1/48 looking half as good!

• Thanks 1

Excellent build, the paint finish is perfect and the capturing of fine detail makes it hard to believe this is 1/72.

I especially like your use of light washes to bring out the rivets and panel lines on the dark camouflage colours and the black stripes.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Redboost said:

To Vlad> just a small correction on the rivets, these are positive (raised) rivets by HGW, so they are only accentuated by sanding through the camouflage paint.

Cheers

Libor

My apologies, I was so taken in by the pictures I missed that part in the text. I didn't know such aftermarket rivets existed, they're quite mind-blowing.

Out of curiosity, if they're raised, why not dry-brush to highlight them.

Edited by Vlad

No problem Vlad, thanks 😁 In fact, these rivets are so tiny (their height is approx. 0.1mm), so I’m afraid the dry brush may not stick to them, but to be honest I did not try that. Maybe next time!

Cheers

Libor

Libor,

That is one beautiful Hellcat! How hard was it to fit those Res-Im flaps? They look great and are very characteristic of a parked F6F! Out of curiosity- were the parts of the wing flap exposed when deployed painted in the surrounding camouflage color or would they have been in  primer, as in many other aircraft? Hard to find period Hellcat photos that show this, so maybe you have a good reference?

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike,

the flaps were not that diffucult to install, of course some surgery is needed. I have few pictures of FAA Hellcats, even one whilst landing with D-Day stripes (Squadron book on FAA I guess) where you can see the inner parts were painted in camouflage colours.

Cheers
Libor

6 hours ago, Hobo said:

Another stunner Libor. Did you use the kit decals? Look forward to the book.

Yes, decals came from the box. Looking forward to the book as well, I think this will be another great effort from them!

Cheers

Libor