US light Earth. (brown)

Markh-75

I'm about ready to paint my 1:72 Hawk 81-A-2 in the Gen' Chenault colours; or i would if i could get the right brown! Of course Humbrol may have discontinued their 119 colour so that leaves me 'a bit stuck'.

Would Humbrol 29 (dark Earth be anywhere near close? I'm struggling to get the right colour for this kit, any ideas folks?

Otherwise the build is going well, got it all primed ready to shoot, prop finished (complete with decals) and the landing gear is made up and also has a decal on the wheel centres; gear ready to go on.

Humbrol has not discontinued 119.

The AVG top colours were US versions of RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green.

Just use Humbrol 29 and 30 as they are not fully correct for DE and DG  anyways

These were aircraft intended for the RAF, so painted in US paints that were close matches to RAF Dark Earth, Dark Green, and Sky.  This last was the poorest match, but still recognisably a duck egg blue.  Perhaps a little bluer, a little greyer, but these things are difficult to describe.  It is available in Colourcoats as a separate colour.  Colour charts for the Dupont British colours used have been published on the net, look for Sky Type S Gray.

I wouldn't use H30 as it is too blue for DG, but H29 is good.  Other Humbrol options are available - but I don't recall the numbers offhand.  116?

25 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Humbrol has not discontinued 119.

The AVG top colours were US versions of RAF Dark Earth and Dark Green.

Just use Humbrol 29 and 30 as they are not fully correct for DE and DG  anyways

Thanks for this, I went online to a few places and it wasn’t even on the charts but I got it!

Thanks for your help Guys; its much appreciated and what this group is all about! only place that i could get it was E-models, but its ordered and paid for....hopefully here soon!

Right! off to do painting of a different nature, my house, all outside of it!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I wouldn't use H30 as it is too blue for DG, but H29 is good.  Other Humbrol options are available - but I don't recall the numbers offhand.  116?

Humbrol 116 is my go to RAF Dark Green. 163 will do as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clifton said:

@Markh-75 Ah, it’s can of worms time!  You might find this article about AVG colors interesting.

http://www.ratomodeling.com/articles/AVG_cammo/

Thanks for the link, yes some kits do open the worms can, because the manufacturers discontinue the colours which means I have to investigate them; luckily the colour I was after has not been discontinued and I managed to buy some. The other reason could that I’m trying to represent a particular aircraft and want the best colours possible. That’s mainly the older kits of which there are many! Your link is most helpful thank you 😊 

• Like 1

Good!  I found it interesting and useful.  It’s hard enough trying to find accurate representations of wartime RAF colors.  Trying to find the DuPont equivalents is even trickier.  I certainly haven’t heard of any paint manufacturer claiming that they’re making DuPont colors, so I think we modelers are kind of on our own here.

Yes it IS tricky, I have to do a fair bit of colour research  for some colours and between most of the males there is a wide range but sometimes I have to resort to finding the FS or RAL number for it to get the best match for it and then I search the Colourcoats under ‘sundries’. It’s worked for me before. I looked at a good half dozen makes/suppliers and couldn’t find the Humbrol colour so just assumed that it was discontinued; turns out it’s just wasn’t in their stocks so I was happy to learn that it is still available and managed to secure a tinlet.

somewhere in this wonderful and incredible forum, there is a study that was carried out into the Air Force colours and the navy ones which I found VERY helpful when I was preparing to paint a later Helldiver. I saved both pages in my bookmarks for future reference. I’m on my phone replying to you just now or I’d post the links for both pages. Someone may know what I’m referring to and post the links, failing that I’ll post them later.

5 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Yes it IS tricky, I have to do a fair bit of colour research  for some colours and between most of the males there is a wide range but sometimes I have to resort to finding the FS or RAL number for it to get the best match for it and then I search the Colourcoats under ‘sundries’. It’s worked for me before. I looked at a good half dozen makes/suppliers and couldn’t find the Humbrol colour so just assumed that it was discontinued; turns out it’s just wasn’t in their stocks so I was happy to learn that it is still available and managed to secure a tinlet.

somewhere in this wonderful and incredible forum, there is a study that was carried out into the Air Force colours and the navy ones which I found VERY helpful when I was preparing to paint a later Helldiver. I saved both pages in my bookmarks for future reference. I’m on my phone replying to you just now or I’d post the links for both pages. Someone may know what I’m referring to and post the links, failing that I’ll post them later.

It might be this website.  Just scroll down a bit and click on whichever category you’re interested in under Military Colors and Camouflage:

http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/

Edited by Clifton
  • Like 2

Yes its The World Wars.net, one called Aircraft colours and camouflage; US Navy and the other is the same but US Army Airforces; both are quite excellent, someone went to alot of trouble with those.:goodjob:

• Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 12:54 AM, Work In Progress said:

That's going to take an awful lot of tinlets

And a lot of cleaning of those small brushes or airbrush.:P

DennisTheBear

• Like 1
  • Haha 1