DeHavilland Mosquito FB Mk VI MM417 EG-T - Tamiya 1/48

Hi All,

Here's another one off the bench :) I found this a very easy build, Tamiya kits are practically snap fit!

MM417 served with 487 New Zealeand Squadron, the squadron famous for raids such as Jericho as well as low level attacks on Gestapo headquarters in Aarhus and Copenhagen. I decided to build this kit with the bomb bays open and a full weapon payload. Painted with Hataka paints and lightly weathered to represent a machine that didn't see a huge amount of use before it was hit by flak and force landed at RAF Hunsdon on 26th March 1944. I did have quite some trouble with the decals silvering (despite applying a gloss lacquer to the model before decals and using humbrol decalfix), I ocvered up the worst silvering (on the red stencils) with a bit of chipping.

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph

IMGP0795

IMGP0783

IMGP0787

IMGP0791

IMGP0797

IMGP0789

IMGP0785

IMGP0793

IMGP0801

IMGP0800

IMGP0799

IMGP0798

Thanks for looking! Up next, either a 1/48 Smer Piper L4 or a Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter (the latter will complete my twin engine collection)!

Ben

Edited by wellsprop
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Lovely clean paintwork. All together very nice modelling.👍

7 hours ago, stever219 said:

She looks almost fresh out of the box.  It’s so nice to see a model that hasn’t been weathered to within an inch of its life.

Agreed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vinnie said:

Lovely clean paintwork. All together very nice modelling.👍

Agreed.

Agreed x 2 - especially as that life would be measured in months. Museum pieces that have stood outside for years aren't the best guide to in-service weathering.

Thanks all :D

54 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Agreed x 2 - especially as that life would be measured in months. Museum pieces that have stood outside for years aren't the best guide to in-service weathering.

Glad the weathering is approved (the weathering and slight paint fading is more obvious in real life than these pictures). Most the photos I found of Mosquitos don't show vast amounts of weathering, probably partially due to the lack of panel lines on the airframe.

I've also just realised MM417 shouldn't have an aerial mast so I've removed it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wellsprop i'm very impressed by your build. Can i ask which paints you've used? I've got a 1:72 Mossie in my stash at the moment and would like to do it justice with a good colour selection which it looks like you have done admirably. Might even get a 1:48 Tamiya Mossie as well..  I think sometimes it's nice to finish up with a model which isn't weathered also. This is the artistry of modelling which give so much scope to personal interpretation.. Anyway love the pics ! I dont live that far from RAF Hunsdon. It's worth a walk around as there are some original buildings and some of the defences ( it has a base defence 'mushroom' bunker ) . 

Edited by Col Walter E Kurtz
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Wellsprop i'm very impressed by your build. Can i ask which paints you've used? I've got a 1:72 Mossie in my stash at the moment and would like to do it justice with a good colour selection which it looks like you have done admirably. Might even get a 1:48 Tamiya Mossie as well..  I think sometimes it's nice to finish up with a model which isn't weathered also. This is the artistry of modelling which give so much scope to personal interpretation.. Anyway love the pics ! I dont live that far from RAF Hunsdon. It's worth a walk around as there are some original buildings and some of the defences ( it has a base defence 'mushroom' bunker ) . 

Thanks :D I used Hataka Blue Line paints, I find them really smooth and think the colours are very good too. Must admit, I never new of Hunsdon airfield until I made this model, surprising, given how important the squadrons were that were based there.

Thank you. I really think the paints you used look the part! I'll have a look at the Hataka paints. 

Hunsdon is quite famous especially for RAF nightfigter units.. I found a broken tea cup there stamped "1942" once.  Cat's Eyes Cunningham flew from there if I recall correctly. The peri track is still almost all there just reduced in width like all WW2 airfields it seems. It's a nice walk around it but you have to be careful crossing an active runway as the site still has a microlite flying club. I'd often cycle over to it and go round it. I think the remaining building is a Marcrete Parachute store now used as a farm storage building. \maybe when I get some photo hosting sorted out i'll  start a thread and put up some pictures. Will take ammeter stick and maybe add the dimensions.. someone might like to use for a dioarama.. 

• Like 1

About the silvering on the decal for the red no step areas you experienced.. I'd be tempted to have had a go at this using masking tape . I did something similar on a HE111 .. yellow no step lines on the wings using 6mm Tamiya tape and  I hand painted them using Humbrol enamel and the result was not too bad!. I very gently sanded them to blend in with the weathering. I was thinking about spraying decals like roundels. guess others have done this already but seems quite an exacting art. will follow this up at some point.

Will look forward to your next build! Just got my Tamiya 1:48 P47-D bubble top delivered today.. too busy with work to start it sadly! .. 🤥