Tamiya 1/48 F4U1D RNZAF

Hi Chaps, 

I've finally got round to signing up for this Group build. Great to see so many Kiwi birds under construction. I'm still finishing a Fairey Baracuda in the 'Journeys end ' Group build and don't want to get too distracted but I've reached the point where progress slows for things to dry so with the Buccaneer out of the way it's time to move on with this. 

One built already as Kohimarama IX from the Aeroclub sheet, LDS Modellers current build topic. Seen here with Plonky at Gisbourne.

IMG_2500

2 more in the last box, 1A and a D.

20200602_155629

Chosen scheme will be from the Sky Models sheet but using national insignia from Peter Mossong's Aeromaster sheet. There is a similar scheme on the Aeromaster sheet but some of the decals had been used when I got it 2nd hand. This picture is a classic example of what  @LDSModeller was referring to about how decal manufacturers get Kiwi roundals wrong. 

20200602_155814

I'm considering a derelict version at Ruhukia in 1946....

Colin 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Colin W said:

One built already as Kohimarama IX from the Aeroclub sheet,

Hi Colin,

Your Corsair looks stunning - Love it :thumbsup:

OT, I see your Plonky sitting behind, I have a 1/32 Trumpeter TBF-1C waiting

to be built, will be NZ2522 "Who Said the B- - - - - - Couldn't Fly".

I've seen the odd build with RNZAF aircraft at Rukuhia, look forward to see what you do

with yours :D

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to decide how best to do this while making a little bit of progress. The plan is to have the wings folded, guns removed with bays left open, engine missing. 

I have trashed the cockpit by sawing off some of the details, radios and drilling out the instruments which have been recovered for spares. This seemed a real shame after a lifetime of detailing cockpits!

Gun bays opened and some structure added inside the wing.

Exhaust ports drilled out from the lower nose.

Nose cut away to reveal the engine mountings.

Fortunately there are plenty of pictures of wrecked Corsairs on the interweb to help this.

20200611_215341

Colin 

• Like 9

Wings assembled leaving the gun bays opened. Nose cut away and engine mountings built from the scrap bin and plastic rod. Vandalised cockpit installed and all painted with ZnCr.

20200614_120658

Colin 

• Like 6

Hi Colin,

You're off to a great start.  Just a heads up on two items:

-- There should be no skin on the upper wing aft of the open gun bays.  If you send me your e-mail address I can send you some detail pix to help with the build.  (Don't forget that the flap aft of the guns lock straight down to ease access.)

-- While most of the Corsairs used a coat or two of untinted zinc chromate, the cockpit would be the exception.  You may wish to pop a coat of Interior Green (black + zinc chromate) in there before you seal that up.  (It looks pretty good as is, but you may find it a bit too bright once the model's done and it's too late to change anything.)

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments above. I'm learning a lot about the Corsair in this Group build. 

Based on Danas' comments above I have given the cockpit a wash of dark green, leaving some of the primer and natural metal exposed. 

I've also thinned out the rudder and removed some of the fabric. I'll do te same for the elevators but it's too late to do much to the wings. 

20200615_193729

Colin 

• Like 7

Quick update on the thread.

Fuselage halves together, with wings and inner flaps added. New front fuselage made and fitted. Fabric broken on elevators and outside flaps to match the fin.

Ready to start painting. 

20200619_213535

Colin 

• Like 7

Thanks for the comments. 

The derelict idea came from Bruce Salmon many years ago. I planned to use a Revell Ventura but haven't seen one. This fits better into the Corsair STGB! 

I had a bit of time yesterday so managed to start painting. A base coat of silver was masked with hand cream before the other colours were added free hand. I pressed on with weathering because I wasn't sure how to apply the decals. I've decided to hand paint the national insignia rather than mess up a set of the rare Aeromaster ones. This will give me more control over the fading. 

Here's where I am now. 

20200625_085910

Colin 

• Like 9

An interesting concept & one I wouldn't know where to start with but you don't seem to be having too many problems with that. I'll be keen to see the end result, even if it'll be tinged with sadness. I've grieved over too many photos of Rukuhia not to feel thus. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Despite only building half the kit I'm being a bit slow with this but we are in the process of moving from Thailand back to the UK. Not much modelling time now or for the next 3 months.

As noted above I have had to hand paint the national insignia to get the correct worn and toned down effect. This is a very time consuming process. Here she is with the insignias completed and a pile of used masking tape. I'm thinking this is not a cost save option for avoiding buying decals! Debating whether to add any part of the canopy, maybe just the windscreen?

IMG_6454

Cleaned up and a last look at the gun bay detail before fitting the wings. I found the parts supplied by Tamiya to support the folded wings were too short so replaced them with some brass rod. Gives a bit more strength as well.

IMG_6457

Nearly there

Colin

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Debating whether to add any part of the canopy, maybe just the windscreen?

Hi Colin,

Looking really good -Wow:thumbsup:

To Answer your question Canopy or Not, check out this photo link

Rukuhia Corsairs

The Canopy/Windscreen don't have to be crystal clear, something

to think about?

Thanks for sharing with us

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1