Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 3 Squadron JF-Z

Hi all.

I received the 1/48 Eduard Hawker Tempest Series 2 kit from my folks for Christmas last year along with the book “The Big Show’ by Pierre Clostermann.

Rather than let it sit in the stash for an extended period of time I thought that it was best to get cracking on it before the year is out. From recommendations from mates who had read the book, I knew the book was a good read. They certainly weren’t wrong. I’m still undecided on doing Clostermann’s 3 squadron machine or the D-Day striped 3 squadron aircraft JF-Z. I’ll let you know what I decide when the time comes.

The build has been slower paced than my recent builds due to the additional detail in the cockpit by way of photo-etch and nicely molded details which need care and attention when painting and assembly.

spacer.png

I’ve chosen to grab a bunch of resin for the kit, the most noticeable is the replacement radiator face and the annular ring on its face. It’s a noticeable feature on the aircraft so one that was a necessity. Kit part on the left, resin replacement on the right.

spacer.png

The gear bays have a wealth of detail which come to life with some paint. No additional details required here.

IMG20200523155437.jpg

spacer.png

Three options are provided for the instrument panel. I chose to paint the kit plastic with raised dials, switches and bezels with the kit decal for the IP. A few coats of mark softener and the decals settled nicely onto the raised instrument faces. This was the first time I’d used the Mr Mark Softer product and I think I’ll be making the switch to it from the Micro set/sol combo. 

spacer.png

Later in the assembly of the cockpit I found that application of a flat coat onto the etch parts almost eradicated the dot matrix appearance of the coloured printing. It was Mr Color Flat Clear that I used here.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cleaning seams in unnecessary places is my lease favourite part of a build. I think Eduard could have put a bit more thought into the location of this one. The seam that runs through the middle of the flap on the wing underside is one of those annoying ones. The wing parts were glues and left to dry for 24 hours. The following night I laid some tape along the join to minimise the amount of the CA/talc mix that I applied. Five minutes of sanding and polishing and voila. The lost rivet detail was reinstated with a rivet wheel. I’m happy with the result but I'll apply some primer on it to assess if any more tidy up is required. the line you see is a ghost mark of the CA and talc mix. I can't feel it when I run my finger nail across it.

spacer.png

Since these parts were finished the cockpit could be installed and the fuselage closed up. Don’t forget the part for the tail wheel well roof and walls.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
title update
  • Like 16

I've recently finished “The Big Show", good read, and built this kit earlier this year, good kit

looking good so far 👍

I hope you enjoy both as much as I did

rgds

John(shortCummins)

I read "The Big Show" over the winter and would recommend it to anyone.  I'll be following this build closely and it's looking to be a winner already!

On 6/2/2020 at 11:05 PM, shortCummins said:

I've recently finished “The Big Show", good read, and built this kit earlier this year, good kit

looking good so far 👍

I hope you enjoy both as much as I did

rgds

John(shortCummins)

G'day John.

I certainly enjoyed the book and I'm enjoying the build.

Cheers,

Mick

On 6/3/2020 at 1:39 AM, Shark444 said:

I read "The Big Show" over the winter and would recommend it to anyone.  I'll be following this build closely and it's looking to be a winner already!

Thanks Shark.

The book was a real boys own adventure type of read. The build is progressing well.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Hi all.

Evening temps here in Brisbane have been quite chilly this week (probably balmy to others) so it’s not been conducive to working later in the evening. It means I’ve not had a lot of time at the bench this week but when I have, I’ve made good use of the time.

Earlier in the week, I spent an evening tidying up the fuselage seams with a mix of CA and talc. Before applying it I placed tape on either side of the gap (perhaps a 1 mm gap) to ensure I wouldn’t obliterate the rivet detail. The rear fuselage features raised rivets which I was extra careful with when tidying up the CA mix. The talc in the CA allows it to be sanded much more easily than straight CA and it’s a lot faster to work with. I used sprue goo for a while but I’ve not used it for a while. I prefer to work with this material now as the process is a lot quicker. 

Some fine sanding sponges and then scotch brite to polish the surface and it was good to go. The lost recessed rivets were reinstated with a rivet wheel using pencil marks and Tamiya curvy tape as a guide. I’m happy with the result.

Last night’s job was joining the wing and fuselage and install the tailplanes. Apart from a gap on the underside of the fuselage where the wing meets the body, the fit was spot on. Sink marks do exist on the inner part of the flap exterior and there is a nasty join/seam that will need some attention to tidy it up.

A few quick pics from last night, including the really nice cockpit.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi again.

I've had a bit of an experimental afternoon today. Rather than trying the chipping fluid over a silver and then paint I've used some paint stencils and few different shades of light grey, mid grey, dark grey and black. Once all the colours were on I used a fine and medium sanding pad to expose the metal for the leading edge. I'm happy with the result so far however I need to add some more wear to the leading edge near the tips and I might touch up some of the wear lines as they're a bit uniform.

That's it for now.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, right. Harder to pick than a broken nose.

What better way to spend a rainy Sunday than paint. The product of a few hours of work today playing around with different blues, greens and greys and some stencil paint masks. I think I need to add a few grimy tones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and the paints used in order for L to R. 

spacer.png

• Like 12

On 6/15/2020 at 1:31 AM, Shark444 said:

Hey!  Brilliant use of foam to block off bays and cockpit for painting!  Awesome hack!

Thanks Shark. The foam is the packing material that you find in Eduard aftermarket resin sets.

G'day again.

I spent some time last night lining in the upper camouflage scheme for painting on the weekend. 

I'm not quite sure if I'll freehand it yet or use blu-tac rolls for the soft edge. There's plenty of colour shades to go on it so I'm erring towards freehand.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

This looks superb work - something to try to emulate! 

Can I ask - can someone tell me what the differences are between the early version Tempest V and the late versions? Is it just the short barrel cannons, the rudder spring tab and wheel size & pattern ?  

I have the Eduard early version in my stash. just thinking of breaking it out and saw this. A Pierre Clostermann machine is tempting on a personal basis. Not sure if he flew the early version as well. (Must re-read 'The Big Show') 

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
spelling

• 2 months later...
On 6/19/2020 at 2:29 PM, Harry Callahan said:

Its a joy to watch your work, no wonder because very nicely photographed.

Apologies but I've only just got back to these messages. Great to hear that you like it Harry.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:01 PM, Biggles87 said:

Nice work, and an interesting idea for the prop blades.

I have one in 1/32 and am hoping that Eduard will get around to a Mk II in 1/48 eventually.

Stay safe.

John

Thanks John. I guess it's Special Hobby for the 32nd versions at the moment. I believe that Eduard have a Mk.II on the cards.

On 6/24/2020 at 11:33 PM, John B (Sc) said:

This looks superb work - something to try to emulate! 

Can I ask - can someone tell me what the differences are between the early version Tempest V and the late versions? Is it just the short barrel cannons, the rudder spring tab and wheel size & pattern ?  

I have the Eduard early version in my stash. just thinking of breaking it out and saw this. A Pierre Clostermann machine is tempting on a personal basis. Not sure if he flew the early version as well. (Must re-read 'The Big Show') 

John B

Hi John. Good to hear that you like it. I addition to those differences you've mentioned, I believe some of the earlier versions had the fishplate strengthening tabs around the rear of the fuselage. Others may be able to elaborate on that.

THe Big SHow is a great read. You'll enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

The Big Show is a great read. You'll enjoy it.  (Mick Drover)

Indeed it is. Been some years (understatement!)  I also had the great pleasure of fairly briefly meeting M. Clostermann ('Clo-Clo' only to his close friends,) on an airfield in France many years ago.  Quite a character, as were many of his contemporaries, and with a fine fund of self deprecating stories too, though my French was challenged keeping up with the chat ! 

Edited by John B (Sc)

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2020 at 6:37 AM, John B (Sc) said:

The Big Show is a great read. You'll enjoy it.  (Mick Drover)

Indeed it is. Been some years (understatement!)  I also had the great pleasure of fairly briefly meeting M. Clostermann ('Clo-Clo' only to his close friends,) on an airfield in France many years ago.  Quite a character, as were many of his contemporaries, and with a fine fund of self deprecating stories too, though my French was challenged keeping up with the chat ! 

Sounds like it was a great chance to meet him John.

• Mick Drover changed the title to Eduard 1/48 Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 3 Squadron JF-Z
  • 2 weeks later...

Todays marking are bought to you by the Silhouette Cameo 4. (said with a Sesame Street tune in my mind).

I've ummed and aahhed about getting one of these and I recently bit the bullet and what a great decision.

I'm a convert. My first effort with it has been the upper wing roundels on the Tempest. Tamiya paint brews are the blue and red. The most work is drawing up the artwork but once done it can be resized as necessary depending on the scale and it's 1:1 size.

I can see myself making lots of roundels and codes for subjects.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Hi all.

I'm close to the finish line with the Tempest and I call the stencil cut paint masks a success.

It's the weathering and final assembly to go. The next post should be in the RFI section.

Cheers,

Mick

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Calum said:

You're a better man than me putting those fastener markings on Mick. Nice job

Thanks Calum. A quiet two hours yesterday morning before the online frivolities!

38 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Just saw this—simply stunning—best, Erwin

Thanks Erwin. That's kind of you to say that.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 22:00, Mick Drover said:

Yep, right. Harder to pick than a broken nose.

What better way to spend a rainy Sunday than paint. The product of a few hours of work today playing around with different blues, greens and greys and some stencil paint masks. I think I need to add a few grimy tones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and the paints used in order for L to R. 

spacer.png

Great technique,  I love doing this too