Hi there! Looking for advice for dads birthday

Twerpasaur

Hi everyone!

TL;DR: please recommend a 1:48 Eduard me109 for the Pacific theatre

I joined the forum because my dad's gotten back into model airplanes and he's asked me for a 1:48 scale Me 109 from Eduard for his upcoming birthday. 

I've had a cautionary Google and there's quite a lot of stuff on their website that I'm not sure where to start (Link)

He's pretty good with photo-etched parts and building custom hoses and such out of wire so I'm pretty sure he'll be happy with the more complex looking stuff on there. 

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but I don't really have much experience in this hobby so I thought this would be the best place to start looking! 

I'd like to know which models are recommended, and which era of 109 would be appropriate for the rest of his models. (They're almost all exclusively Pacific theatre American navy aircraft). 

Cheers for slogging through that thesis, sorry it's a bit of a long introduction :^)

Look forward to hearing what you've all got to say!

I think you might be going off at a tangent as the Bf109 was a German design? There were some Bf109E-7's sent to Japan for evaluation, but I doubt they were in combat in the Pacific theatre.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/captured/testedby/me109/me109.htm

Ask your dad what theatre of war he'd be looking to have a Bf109 from, maybe he has some specifics as to which one (eg a Bf109G-2 trop from the North Africa desert campaign or a Bf109E-4 from the Battle of Britain). 

Either way, I'd recommend getting any of the Eduard Profi Packs - all etch, masks etc you need is inside, and always multiple decal options.

8 hours ago, Parabat said:

I think you might be going off at a tangent as the Bf109 was a German design? There were some Bf109E-7's sent to Japan for evaluation, but I doubt they were in combat in the Pacific theatre.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/captured/testedby/me109/me109.htm

Ask your dad what theatre of war he'd be looking to have a Bf109 from, maybe he has some specifics as to which one (eg a Bf109G-2 trop from the North Africa desert campaign or a Bf109E-4 from the Battle of Britain). 

Either way, I'd recommend getting any of the Eduard Profi Packs - all etch, masks etc you need is inside, and always multiple decal options.

Hey Parabat thanks for replying so quickly!

Huh, I was surprised when he asked for a a 109. My brief knowledge of WWII aircraft tells me that they're German and primarily fought over Europe, but I didn't know for sure. Thanks for clearing that up!

It would be pretty cool I think to have a model of the 109E-7 that was "sent to Japan for evaluation" that you have linked in your initial reply, how would I go about gathering all the prerequisite parts for him to convert a standard Eduard Kit?

I'll have a look for Profi packs on Eduard's website in the meantime,

Thanks again! :)

The only way I know of getting the Japanese decals is this Airfix boxing. By all accounts it's a good kit, other opinions may differ. I haven't built one, but I have seen them built.

They were a limited Club edition only.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-Club-limited-edition-1-48-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-3-E-7/283896702836?hash=item42198fe774:g:CqoAAOSwOTJewBmi

I think you can probably get an aftermarket decal set or enquire if anyone who had the 1/48 Airfix special boxing with the decals who doesn't need them.

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The only way I know of getting the Japanese decals is this Airfix boxing. By all accounts it's a good kit, other opinions may differ. I haven't built one, but I have seen them built.

They were a limited Club edition only.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airfix-Club-limited-edition-1-48-Messerschmitt-Bf-109E-3-E-7/283896702836?hash=item42198fe774:g:CqoAAOSwOTJewBmi

I built this kit and its pretty nice overall.