1/72 Fw-190 F-8 Revell

Hi folks, I have been lurking around these forums for quite some time now and very much enjoyed it, especially the work in progress and ready for inspection sections. I finally summoned my courage to present some of my own models to the community hoping to receive some honest feedback which will ideally permit me to improve my skills or to question my techniques. 

This is the recently released Fw190F-8 by Revell, built OOB. Just some minor adaptations like drilled out guns, braking wires and antenna cable (stretched sprue). I use a mixture of Mr Hobby and AK acrylic colours. Although the FW190 is a very popular model, I hope that this will be of some interest to you. The built was hassle free and quite some fun. As mentioned - any constructive criticism most appreciated. 

Thanks for watching!

783052-15187-13-1440.jpg

783049-15187-86-1440.jpg

783045-15187-40-1440.jpg

783048-15187-34-1440.jpg

783046-15187-82-1440.jpg

• Like 38

Nice to see the F-8 get some love on the boards. The only thing that stands out for criticism would be the armoured headrest assembly. With the blown hood it would be the headrest that had built up sides. Additionally, the armoured headrest slides back with the hood, so would be a bit further back and I'm fairly sure the antenna wire on the blown hoods wasn't tensioned (so would sag down when the hood was opened). But otherwise a lovely build with nice weathering and details that have been brought out. Such a fantastic and robust fighter plane.

• Like 2

A very good build , I like the paint job and weathering . As already pointed out you have made a slight mistake with the cockpit

but this should be easily rectified . Very nice work !

Wulfman

• Like 1

On the whole, a very convincingly finished '190!

A couple of constructive observations…

Anybody who has spent some time around airworthy planes with fabric covered surfaces, knows that the fabric is taut as a drumskin, with just the barest hints of the underlying structure. So, emphasising the heavily moulded 'skeletons' of the ailerons and elevators with a dark wash is just plain unrealistic. In fact, with this kit it would arguably be better to first prime them with a filling primer and then give them a slight rub with wet'n dry. 😉

Also, any 'weathering' of prop blades should be very subtle, if at all – and definitely not on the trailing edge of the front face. A thin hint of wear along the leading edge and a soft thinning of the paint on the tip of the rear face is what you might see in reality, unless the machine has been heavily abused.

Otherwise, a very creditable build indeed. Good work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Servus fellow Austrian,

a very nice "Würger" you show us here. As for critique, I think everything was already mentioned like the incorrect headrest for the blown canopy and the exaggerated fabric effect (not your but the kits fault).

Just one question, did you replace the kits canopy (with an Hasegawa one)? As far as I know Revell has moulded the non transparent part integral with the fuselage making it impossible to open it (the only really drawback of an otherwise nice kit).

Of course, these are really minor things compared to the really nice finishing which looks absolutely appropriate for the small scale and the base adds to the whole impression.

Hope to see more of your nice builds!

Cheers

Markus

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Just one question, did you replace the kits canopy (with an Hasegawa one)? As far as I know Revell has moulded the non transparent part integral with the fuselage making it impossible to open it (the only really drawback of an otherwise nice kit).

Servus Shorty,

thank you and well spotted - I did not use the Revell canopy but instead used a spare one left over from another build (Eduard). The impossibility to open the canopy made me do this. Had to do a bit of cutting, but worked out fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Other than what has been mentioned, the only thing I see that might need consideration in the future is insuring the join of the wing to the fuselage is always a bear to get a tight fit and most of the time needs a bit of filler and sanding.  Otherwise, nicely done 190.  You are way on the right track.  Thanks for sharing.

On 02/06/2020 at 00:02, Ijineda said:

Hi folks, I have been lurking around these forums for quite some time now and very much enjoyed it, especially the work in progress and ready for inspection sections. I finally summoned my courage to present some of my own models to the community hoping to receive some honest feedback which will ideally permit me to improve my skills or to question my techniques. 

This is the recently released Fw190F-8 by Revell, built OOB. Just some minor adaptations like drilled out guns, braking wires and antenna cable (stretched sprue). I use a mixture of Mr Hobby and AK acrylic colours. Although the FW190 is a very popular model, I hope that this will be of some interest to you. The built was hassle free and quite some fun. As mentioned - any constructive criticism most appreciated. 

Thanks for watching!

783052-15187-13-1440.jpg

783049-15187-86-1440.jpg

783045-15187-40-1440.jpg

783048-15187-34-1440.jpg

783046-15187-82-1440.jpg

Well done.

Alain