750 Harley dispatch bike.

Posted 23 minutes ago

Here we are then, The Italeri WLA 750 1:9

A WWII US dispatch bike, military police bike and so on.

I have left off the screen and the weather shield canvas fairing because i cant see what point it served. the bike has no controls on the right side of the bars (where you would normally find the throttle and front brake) but it does have easy access to a Thompson on the right instead...and an ammo box on the other side. The point is if you have a screen you cant then use the Thompson when riding....I dont know, maybe i am missing something..

49961106102_fb4db62d8f_b.jpg

49961106152_500fa6ed1b_b.jpg

49961106162_04636c5a71_b.jpg

49960326138_ab4f1f9a5f_b.jpg

49960822921_c1af59d410_b.jpg

49960823026_c9754bbb98_b.jpg

This is basically out of the box but because i cant do leather finish i made up a rucksack and bedroll from an old rag and used a onion bag/netting from Tesco to make a camo net. the kit has 2x plastic boxes which cleverer people than me would finish as  leather dispatch cases.

Great kit, not easy, even picking this up takes thought because a lot of the parts will just break under the pressure needed to grip it.

after 10 years i have now done a Spitfire 1/48 and this and that completes my re introduction as i take up the hobby again after lock down having covered Resin/PE/ scratch build/and airbrushing i am now ready to take on something a little more ambitious 

Prepare to see me  fall flat on my face with a Hase Hurricane cutaway 1/48...

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed.

Actually, the throttle is still on the right handlebar, with a spark control grip (to advance or retard the ignition) and front brake on the left bar.  It has a pedal clutch and a hand operated gear shift on the left side. Back brake pedal is on the right, so at least that's in the right place! Not sure I could ride one without a lot of practice...   

As for the Thompson, I think the idea was for it to be readily available when you stopped - you laid the bike down as cover and fired from behind it. At least that's what's shown in wartime training manuals.

• Like 2

Thanks for that Ian...maybe it was American police bikes ? that had the throttle on the wrong side ? i know i read something somewhere :) to do with the right side being the cavalry sword side so you had you right hand free ? as for laying the bike down and hiding behind a paper tin 3 gallon tank of fuel......good luck with that :)

i have been riding 40 years and i still struggle with Right foot gear changes on early Ducati's :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spec7 said:

Thanks for that Ian...maybe it was American police bikes ? that had the throttle on the wrong side ? i know i read something somewhere :)

I think Indians maybe had it the other way round - whether that was so you could wield a weapon, who knows. Fortunately, as I've only ever had modern Japanese bikes I've not had to worry about it - and you can still make hostile gestures with the right hand as long as you pull the clutch in.😆    

• 4 weeks later...

Nice build...

Leather is easy. Paint matt black and drybrush with Burnt Sienna oil paint. Sorted. See the saddle on my Tiger 80 in the civvy vehicles section

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
  • Like 2

I'm sure I've seen a photo online of a WLA being ridden by a guy using a Thompson one-handed from the right shoulder. Wearing the leather flying helmet and goggles, IIRC, so probably pre-WW2. Chance of hitting anything = 0.

But now of course I cant find it.

• Thanks 1