Eduard FW190-D11 JV44 - or Twice The Pain Part 1...

Hi all,

Slowly working through my small stash with the help of lockdown, its either that or a trip to Barnard Castle :)

I bought the Eduard D11/D13 dual combo off the back of taking part in the FW190 STGB back in 2012. At that point the absolute next model I needed to do was the D13 'Yellow 10' that was in the boxing, hard to believe that was nearly 8 years ago now but gives you an idea of my slow build rate!

I finally cracked this out properly a couple of months ago and decided to build both Yellow 10 and Red 4, as who doesn't need a JV44 bird in the proper scale. I was aware from other builds I had seen on the net that this kit needs a bit of care to get it fitting right so decided to focus on Red 4 first and hopefully learn from any mistakes rather than ruining 2 kits at the same time. To be fair, although the fit is to very tight tolerances it can mostly be persuaded to fit where it should, just a lot of patience and glueing and clamping bits at a time to pull it all together. The main areas of difficulty I encountered were those usually mentioned, i.e the wing root cannon covers and alignment on the engine plug and front cowl, but nothing terrible and i reckon its still well worth the effort what what is otherwise a lovely detailed kit.

The build was pretty much as supplied in the box, with the addition of some Ultracast resin exhausts I had kicking around, they were meant for the Tamiya D9 but fit with far less trouble than me trying to hollow out all the kit tips :) I also tried scratching some of the finer details such as the brake lines, electrical cabling on the gear legs and landing gear indicators, plus some fishing mono for the aerial cable.

Paints were mostly Gunze for the RLM colours and Tamiya elsewhere sprayed through an Iwata Neo. Then sealed with Alcad aqua gloss and finished with an oil wash and Xtracrylics matt varnish.

Anyway, I hope you like the build and now to pick up with Yellow 10 properly, just hoping I can achieve the camo!

Any C&CC welcomed as ever, thanks Stu

PtRfgAfh.jpg
DBI7dR6h.jpg
YvRiGU6h.jpg
F3aiJLyh.jpg
P0GLukhh.jpg
ZDA3qbDh.jpg
NzzIzvWh.jpg
rPxlwy0h.jpg
JmILUUVh.jpg
tEbaAFRh.jpg

YbK1YxDh.jpg
vcu4IUIh.jpg
WjJn98xh.jpg
qS1wYF0h.jpg

And one last adversary shot with my Airfix Mk.XIVe :)

CC32YEih.jpg

Edited by stoohoo
Trying to work out Imgur links...done!
  • Like 39
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

No photo's mate just grey flashing lines....

Thanks guys, I moved to Imgur after photobucket started messing around but still getting to grips with it, think its sorted now though can only do 'huge thumbnail size', for some reason the original image code is what gives the grey flashing lines?

• Like 1

Amazing build, great photos, what a triumphant model. Very nicely done, all the little extras are very well executed too, it all looks natural rather than being overdone.

• Like 1

Nice work - I really like the details you added and the paint came out very nicely.  I have the D-13 in the stash and am a little apprehensive about starting it - reading about the problems other have had building these - so it's nice to see that it is possible to get everything to fit! 

• Like 1

Gorgeous build Stu and echo what’s been said, the mottling as well as the freehand camouflage, is incredibly well executed.

It’s something I always struggle with so now I know where to send my Luftwaffe stuff for final paint.

Can’t wait to see part 2

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks guys for taking the time to leave the kind comments they really are appreciated :) I'm surprised how well the photos came out in the end, I keep thinking its getting time to invest in a proper camera and light cube but haven't yet. Fortunately with the decent light at this time of year and a freshly ironed pale blue pillow case they seemed to work out alright on my Samsung S10 phone!

On 6/2/2020 at 2:26 AM, Kitchen Modeller said:

Nice work - I really like the details you added and the paint came out very nicely.  I have the D-13 in the stash and am a little apprehensive about starting it - reading about the problems other have had building these - so it's nice to see that it is possible to get everything to fit! 

I think that was how I was getting with it which is why it sat there so long waiting for me to work up the courage rather than risk trashing a half decent kit, but my advice is definitely get yourself cracking with it mate. I promise you wont be disappointed with it and I look forward to seeing the result :)

3 hours ago, Peter W said:

Gorgeous build Stu and echo what’s been said, the mottling as well as the freehand camouflage, is incredibly well executed.

It’s something I always struggle with so now I know where to send my Luftwaffe stuff for final paint.

Can’t wait to see part 2

Pete

Thanks mate, I'm glad I gave the freehand spraying a try as its always daunted me but looks like it may be the way to go for the Luftwaffe soft edged camo, still plenty of blu-tac sausages in my future though ;) Now get some updated on that Canberra and Jag, I'm getting impatient :)

Thanks again all!

Hello Stu,

That's a great 190 ! I've started that same kit !

Now, you've raised the bar !! 

I hope that I will finish mine half as good as your !!

I like the motto, but my wife, german born, did'nt appreciate !

Congratulations !! Well done !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Thanks CC and glad to hear you have one underway - I would love to see some pics, are you doing a WIP thread?

I like the motto too but can certainly understand why your wife may not like it, quite graphic when you think about it ;)

Cheers, Stu

• Haha 1