Y-Wing 1/48 resin model [WIP]

I have a thread over on The RPF, but I thought I'd start one here as well. Since Bandai never came out with a 1/48 Y-Wing, I have decided to make one on my own. I'm using my 3D printer (Elegoo Mars) to print these parts. The model is from CGTrader and I'm scaling it to the appropriate size, relative to the 1/48 X-Wing. So here we go! I'm going to use this thread to document my build. 

So here we go!

Just pulled these two parts off the printer this morning. I waaaaaay overdid the supports on the canopy because it's a very delicate part, and because I didn't want it warping at all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyway. Follow along if you feel so inclined!

SB

• Like 24

Just pulled off these parts. Sorry for the phone photo quality.

spacer.png

The panel lines on the landing gear bump are pretty fine! Can't wait to hit these parts with some primer to really show the details. Until then, it'll just be more boring posts like this one.

Next step, the cockpit head upper and lower halves. Stay tuned.

SB

• Like 14

Okay, just a little update. A non-update, really, but some lessons learned. I printed the top part of the head (a 10 hour print!), and came down this morning to this:

spacer.png

I forgot to add supports along the front lip of the inside of the cockpit. If that was the only issue with this piece, I would try to salvage it, but there are other things wrong with it as well. The overhang along the back is all warped, again, I think, due to not having enough supports there. There's also a weird wave along the surface toward the nose. So I have sliced the piece again, and added the necessary supports.

spacer.png

It's a bummer that it's a waste of resin, but that's all part of the learning process I suppose. Anyway, here's to another 10 or so hours!

SB

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I cant wait to see this thing come together. The Y and B wings are my favorites of all the Star wars fighters. 

Yep. Love the Y. I just don't know why there isn't a commercially available kit in 1/48 yet... Hence this project, I guess...

SB

Edited by StevenBills
  • Like 2

Little update time. So I replaced the FEP on my Mars, greased the z-axis screw, and the prints are coming out great! I finally got a decent (read: good enough) print of the top-side of the cockpit head that I'm happy with. There's a little wave towards the top, but that can come out easily enough with some sanding. i wonder if the wave comes from how I oriented the part in the slicer...? Lots of learning going on over here!

spacer.png

It's hard to see the panel lines in that pic (that's straight off the printer, before going into the curing station), but once I get some primer on it, the details will pop! I'm printing out the bottom of the head now, so stay tuned.

SB

• Like 8

Layers will be present on any surface that is placed at an angle other then horizontally or vertically. You can get a better smoothing effect with adding 2 to 4 seconds of exposure per layer, as this not only hardens exactly the layer on the film, but diffused light also scatters into the already semi-hardened layers. Prints will also come out harder right away and will need less post-curing. The additional exposure time might lead to loss of detail, but will only affect the slightest details.

Longer exposure may also help against warping, though it seams your warping is especially apparent later in printing. Usually I'd expect it in the earlier parts of the print due to the weight of the additional layers pulling at the still pretty weak model. You might try to put some more light oil on the upper parts of the spindle. I used WD40. Anything like that will work wonders.

Especially the last picture shows heavy lines. Is this all layers from the printing process? I can barely recognize the layers on my models at the standard 0.05mm resolution. Again I'd suspect the spindle here. Did you clean it before greasing it up? The spindle on my Mars was sticky like glue and wouldn't like to turn. After thoroughly cleaning it with WD40 it runs smoothly while before it sounded like it was in pain.

• Like 3

@Schwarz-Brot Thanks for the reply! I will experiment with different exposure times to reduce the layer lines. And yes, I have some white grease that I use to lube my rod 😏. I clean it off every week or so. 

More parts coming off the printer... This is the back of the topside of the hull.

spacer.png

More on the way!

SB

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Nice thread! Is the guy on CGTraderalso selling the B-Wing, TIE and AT-ST? I was just about buying the Y-Wing/B-wing bundle, but after CGTrader announced that tax will also be added I puled the plug.

I also use an Elegoo Mars - with waterbased resin. I found warping issues, when I reduced the parts tickness too much, and when I did not directly exposed the finished parts to a UV light source. If you use the water based resin - take care with wet sanding. I found the resin is still affected by water after I thought it was cured...

Had also a lot of waste but the Elegoo is much more dependble than the Ultimaker in our office. And we never recycled any "lost" material even if it is possible. Still - it is a pity moneywise and environmentaly that the resin of defective parts connot be used again. But many of them they can make nice greeblies I think 😉

2 hours ago, StevenBills said:

@rockpopandchips Unfortunately, I do just chuck the misprints. You can't really melt the resin down again once it has cured, so it's essentially waste at that point. Sad, and expensive, waste.

SB

Next time you get some misprint you might think about passing them on, there are quite a few people here that could put those parts to some use for scratch building and kit bashing, 

Just a thought, I'm all about reusing stuff. 

cheers Brian. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

Nice thread! Is the guy on CGTraderalso selling the B-Wing, TIE and AT-ST? I was just about buying the Y-Wing/B-wing bundle, but after CGTrader announced that tax will also be added I puled the plug.

I'm not sure, but this is the model that I am using.

SB

Edited by StevenBills
  • Like 2

On 18/06/2020 at 00:05, StevenBills said:

I'm not sure, but this is the model that I am using.

SB

Exactly! I found it a bit annoying, as he seems to be from the EU but as CG Trader is US they ask for tax if you buy from the EU (yes - quite normal but usually this is done by the customs). I was looking for an EU based store but to no avail so far.

Will follow your build with huge interest :-)

Ah, that's a bummer that the tax is a deal-breaker. I had some CGTrader credits that I needed to use, so it brought the price way down for me. Here's a little bit of an update:

We have L'eggs!

6DB9SSy.jpg

These parts printed pretty well. They're hollow on the inside to save on resin. They have a slight bulge near the top that will need to be sanded out, but that's no biggie, and certainly not worth the trouble of printing them again.

So as an overall update, I have printed all of the parts for the canopy, cockpit, and the body (minus the tubes. Those will be made with bent styrene rods). I'm now working on the left engine, then it'll be on to the right engine.

Thanks for looking!

SB

• Like 7

Just caught up with this thread. I joined the Britmodeller forum mainly for the military vehicle and aircraft side of things, but I'm also a big Star Wars fan, and the Y-wing is my absolute favourite spaceship, so very interested to keep up with this! Plus, I'm continually amazed at what can be done with 3d printing!

• Like 1

Just got the Revell and AMT Ertl Y-wing kits myself (plus Kenner vintage and 30th anniversary versions!) but I'd be seriously tempted if there was a decent sized kit commercially available. 

• Like 1