1/72 KP Spitfire Vb BM579 FN-B with Rutter Stripes **Finished**

After building a Lancaster for the last STGB and just about finishing on time this should be a slightly more relaxed build. My first model since childhood was a Spitfire Mk I so I was keen to try a later mark ideally with different camouflage. This KP Spitfire Mk Vb 'Early' should fit the bill being green and grey rather than green and brown. There are two green and grey options, one with D-Day stripes and one with 'Rutter' stripes, something I'd never heard of. Apparently they were marked this way for Operation Rutter - the original Dieppe invasion plan that never took place in July 1942. A bit more reading required on that. Here's the box, sprues and decals...

49959583923_02a7af4ec3_c.jpg

• Like 5

Good morning Tommy

Welcome aboard and have fun , I will follow your build as I have this kit in my stash but in a different boxing ..

Best Regards

Patrice

Some progress over the weekend with recognisable Spitfire sections now appearing. The cockpit didn't fit brilliantly but good enough and only a few minor gaps to fill. Next steps; various parts to be added to underside of wings and these two sections joined followed by a coat of primer (Halfords this afternoon all going well). This is only my second Spitfire (classic Airfix Mk1a being the first) and I am really enjoying viewing the many different variants on show in this Group Build.

It's a very slippery slope but I've already had thoughts about building a different variant every six months or so, but then there are different schemes, theatres of war, scales etc... 🥴

49983949361_2690b8a40e_c.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, TommyF said:

It's a very slippery slope but I've already had thoughts about building a different variant every six months or so, but then there are different schemes, theatres of war, scales etc... 

Well, the old adage is true: you can never have too many Spitfires.

This one is coming along nicely Tommy.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 5:21 PM, Cookenbacher said:

Well, the old adage is true: you can never have too many Spitfires.

This one is coming along nicely Tommy.

Certainly can't. By the time this GB is finished I should have 16 on my shelves (at least), and that does not include 5 left in my stash and another 5 "binned" over the years and there are still one or two gaps in my collection! Interesting looking kit - the sprues seem to show two types of wheel and exhaust and no less than 3 props/spinners, with optional Vokes tropical filter, cannon bulges (I think) and the big ventral long range tank, so presumably several versions available?

Coming along nicely Tommy.

Pete 

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Fuselage and wings joined. Radiator (under starboard wing), oil cooler (under port wing) and carb air intake (centre) added. Spent several minutes finding this out! Undercarriage assembled and paint applied. Then a coat of Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey 2 (RAF) as a primer to take stock on any imperfections.

49998497211_3539a25e65_c.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/9/2020 at 1:02 PM, PeterB said:

Interesting looking kit - the sprues seem to show two types of wheel and exhaust and no less than 3 props/spinners, with optional Vokes tropical filter, cannon bulges (I think) and the big ventral long range tank, so presumably several versions available?

KoPro and AZmodels have released most Merlin variants in several boxings, including two-seaters.
Nice kits. Well worth having a few. Or more.

Did someone already say you can never have too many Spitfires? :P

• Haha 2

Thank you Britmodellers past and present. As a kid I don't recall having a model that needed painting with invasion stripes. It isn't the easiest of tasks and adds an element of risk to a build. I guess the Operation Rutter stripes may be slightly easier as they are white stripes over camouflage. I started out thinking I would mask the four nose white stripes, paint the grey/green camouflage and then fill in the white. After spending 1/2 hour cutting, trimming and applying tape I realised (after a period of research) that this wasn't the ideal method..! I have now painted a full nose section of white, then masked what will be the stripes and have since painted the upper surfaces Humbrol 106 Ocean Grey matt, looking good to so far, green to follow.

50009201843_c3342cea75_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 4

According to specification, the spinner should have been white as well. This was initially omitted by the Norwegians, but was done properly the next day or so.

Nils

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, Vingtor said:

According to specification, the spinner should have been white as well. This was initially omitted by the Norwegians, but was done properly the next day or so.

Nils

I'm tempted but my spinner might have to stay Sky (Humbrol 90) as I've already painted it 🙂

However I have another quandary (aka another beginner's mistake). I have painted the main camouflage gloss green (Xtracrylix RAF dark green) and matt grey (Humbrol 106). I'm hoping a final coat or two of satin varnish will equal things up. Anyone else have this situation? And found a happy solution?

50019592428_3e75ef49cc_c.jpg

• Like 3

Your finishing coats (matte, gloss, and or satin) should sort things out. I've had this happen before. Good looking model, too! I love these AZ/KP Spitfires - great for the parts box with all the extra parts (I believe I now have the world's largest collection of 1/72nd scale Spitfire rudders)!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Good progress yesterday evening - painting complete and two coats of thinned satin varnish have evened out the gloss/matt differences. It was the first time I've applied a leading edge yellow stripe and I was expecting problems but it went on pretty well. 😯 Literally as I typed this I noticed the tail wheel was too close the fuselage so tried a gentle adjustment and yes it came off (!). Decals to follow this afternoon after I wait for the wheel to glue back.

50028156778_0ecfd7c06f_c.jpg

• Like 2

Finished 😁 A minimal set of decals applied, photos taken see the gallery for the full set. Thank you to the hosts and all commenting and reacting Britmodellers - a thoroughly enjoyable group build.

50034726897_1f6a90d516_c.jpg

• Like 6

• TommyF changed the title to 1/72 KP Spitfire Vb BM579 FN-B with Rutter Stripes **Finished**