FM 1/48 Halifax - PN365 of 346 Free French Sqn

23 hours ago, mick b said:

Superb stuff as usual Neil, your models are always a highlight on this forum as well as a tutorial in techniques! 😊

Hopefully some of us will get to see it at Telford 🤞

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike :). I don’t think it will be at Telford as it doesn’t fit this years theme but depends what the boss says and whether we’ll have room

17 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Well I might as well join in here. You have done the fantastic job of this that I expected.  Definitely worth the effort.  

I have that Hampton kit and have looked at starting it a few times and always went back to my German projects.

I really look forward to seeing what you do with the Hampton. That will make this one feel like a walk in the park.😎

Ha ha, my thoughts are quite similar on the Hampden, the only saving grace is it’s much smaller to deal with, only two engines too!

2 hours ago, kev67 said:

That is a beautiful build Neil, I would like to know how you get such a realistic effect on the staining over the wings

Thanks Kev. I normally just use soft pastel (the chalky type artists use)  brushed on in chosen areas with a fairly stubby brush and work it into panel lines where you’d expect to see it. On this one, I took the same approach but did two rounds, one with oils first then after being sealed, then over worked it with the pastels. The other thing I do is dab dirt on in typical walkway areas which are usually along the aircraft spine and between the wing roots and engines. I do this very lightly and build it up incase I overdo it. When I do a panel wash, I wipe it off after no more than a minute so that it’s subtle. I use a silver pencil for chipping although it’s not great, I need to get something more suitable. Underneath the aircraft is a much more liberal approach. Oil and fuel leaks obviously attracted all sorts to stick to the surfaces so could get quite dirty. You can have real fun here without the risk of overdoing it. I want to get better with the oils tbh as some here on BM are gods when it comes to oil weathering. Hope that helps?

cheers

neil

Congratulations with a great model! It has been a pleasure to follow the build. The way you have managed to turn a mediocre starting point into a splendid model is really impressive. Looking forward to your next project!

Regards,

Ragnar 

• Like 1