FM 1/48 Halifax - PN365 of 346 Free French Sqn

Again, a fantastic build,. if I had a hat I would take it off for you😀

As you mentioned (and speaking from experience) this is a very hard kit to build and it is about time someone stepped in and

released a state of the art Halifax. We can hope can't we.

Now, where did I put mine..........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stringbag said:

Bloody hell Neil.  That's superb.   So much attention to detail and scratchbuilding skill all rolled into one stunning model.  Well done Matey. 👍

Chris.

Thanks matey, hope you're good? Keep looking out for an A300 in here 🧐 he he!

21 minutes ago, Cees Broere said:

Again, a fantastic build,. if I had a hat I would take it off for you😀

As you mentioned (and speaking from experience) this is a very hard kit to build and it is about time someone stepped in and

released a state of the art Halifax. We can hope can't we.

Now, where did I put mine..........

Thanks mate. I really do hope we get a new kit. The prices and the challenges with this kit are what prevents us from seeing more of them finished. People are buying 1/32 bombers, so there must be some kind of market for these in 1/48. The Merlin and Hercules aircraft are two very different aircraft in many respects too so I'd love to get a Mk.I or II built at some time with all it's warts and bumps as it makes for a more interesting modelling subject.

Caught up on your Manchester last night, lovey job on the gear. I'm torn between you focussing on your Hallibag and that, so just keep them both on the move!

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone, it's nice to take a rest. I reckon I put in over 60 hours in the last two weeks to get this finished.

What an outstanding result, Neil. I'm truly awed by such a masterpiece - and so proud that you chose one of my father's warhorses.

It's also a very moving homage to him and the crew, and all those in 346 and 347 Squadrons who never made it back to Elvington or France. As in all other Bomber Command units I believe, half of them perished.

I'm sure the Foures family will be just as delighted as I am when they see your photos.

• Like 1

As someone that finds 1/72nd scale heavies pretty ginormous, I’m always in awe of folk that can build them in larger scales. This is a superb build, and the finishing and weathering top notch. I hope I get to see it in the flesh one day.

• Like 1

Absolutely lovely. I built one of these 13 years ago so I know what you had to contend with (it was actually featured on Hyperscale at the time after Brett saw it at Telford that year) and I was quite pleased with my result but this one just blows it out of the water....

Brilliant!!. If only I had the nerve to do their Hampden.... 

• Like 2

Oh my Neil!!!!!  I struggle with a Tamiya kit while you turn out a masterpiece with this ever challenging version of the Halifax.  The story behind the particular airframe matches the attention to detail you so accurately replicated.  I stand in awe of your skills as a talented artist and historian!!!!! :worthy:

Congratulations 

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GimmeAnF said:

What an outstanding result, Neil. I'm truly awed by such a masterpiece - and so proud that you chose one of my father's warhorses.

It's also a very moving homage to him and the crew, and all those in 346 and 347 Squadrons who never made it back to Elvington or France. As in all other Bomber Command units I believe, half of them perished.

I'm sure the Foures family will be just as delighted as I am when they see your photos.

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind comments, hope Rogers family appreciate it too :)

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

As someone that finds 1/72nd scale heavies pretty ginormous, I’m always in awe of folk that can build them in larger scales. This is a superb build, and the finishing and weathering top notch. I hope I get to see it in the flesh one day.

Thanks Heather, it’s weird because after staring at this, a 1/72 lancaster looks like 1/144 scale 😂 

8 hours ago, spitfire said:

Superb, pure modelling magic, plus a lot of perseverance.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, it will go nicely with the Manchester I got from you :)

8 hours ago, keithjs said:

Absolutely lovely. I built one of these 13 years ago so I know what you had to contend with (it was actually featured on Hyperscale at the time after Brett saw it at Telford that year) and I was quite pleased with my result but this one just blows it out of the water....

Brilliant!!. If only I had the nerve to do their Hampden.... 

hi Keith, I didn’t know that it was yours. It was a great inspiration to keep going looking at your build, I can see you did a lot of extra work so we have the same scars 😂 a gorgeous build. Yes, the Hampden, it’s a bit like contemplating doing an iron man competition 😂😂

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Lovely finish - congratulations! :clap2:

Cheers mate

6 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Oh my Neil!!!!!  I struggle with a Tamiya kit while you turn out a masterpiece with this ever challenging version of the Halifax.  The story behind the particular airframe matches the attention to detail you so accurately replicated.  I stand in awe of your skills as a talented artist and historian!!!!! :worthy:

Congratulations 

Mike

Thanks for your kind comments Mike, it was having a personal history of Michaels that fuelled the desire to keep on with it :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superb stuff as usual Neil, your models are always a highlight on this forum as well as a tutorial in techniques! 😊

Hopefully some of us will get to see it at Telford 🤞

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mick b
  • Like 1

Well I might as well join in here. You have done the fantastic job of this that I expected.  Definitely worth the effort.  

I have that Hampton kit and have looked at starting it a few times and always went back to my German projects.

I really look forward to seeing what you do with the Hampton. That will make this one feel like a walk in the park.😎

• Haha 1

Easily the best Halifax build I've seen. The finish and weathering is spot on, looking as a real aircraft should (I'm with Tom here). Any chance of sharing your techniques for us lesser mortals and serfs? 

Also, it's really nice to see a model with a personal back story and history attached. Adds another dimension to the build. Have a very similar project in the pipeline myself.

Once again, fantastic work on a difficult kit.

Steve

• Like 1