FM 1/48 Halifax - PN365 of 346 Free French Sqn

Not the easiest build may be the understatement of the year. I've heared a lot of stories of modellers who binned the kit because it fought them at every step. I've never seen one finished, especially so well. This build for sure was a labour of love, otherwise I guess you wouldn't have invested all the effort you did.

Anyway, all I can say is highest respect for building, improving and finishing it. The result is nothing short of spectecular :worthy:

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Stunning.  The attention to detail even the de-icer jets in front of the windows are there!

My Grandfather was Nav on 433 Squadron Halifax B.III at Skipton-on-Swale.

A fine tribute.

• Like 1

Beautiful Job Neil - well worth the hard work you have put in. The finish, weathering and overall impression are very convincing.

I know what you mean by being sick of the sight of though - I'm often like that with my builds - after spending so much time looking at something and working on it. Pack it away safely and in a couple of months you will love it when you take it out again!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Fabulous build - a real masterful result. I am so glad I gave you the model as I knew you would do it justice something which I would never achieve. How about an FM Hampen - I have one in my garage if you want it?

What is next?

Best,

• Like 1

Awesome result from a difficult build. You're to be commended for your patience, determination and application of significant building skills. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Not the easiest build may be the understatement of the year. I've heared a lot of stories of modellers who binned the kit because it fought them at every step. I've never seen one finished, especially so well. This build for sure was a labour of love, otherwise I guess you wouldn't have invested all the effort you did.

Anyway, all I can say is highest respect for building, improving and finishing it. The result is nothing short of spectecular :worthy:

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Marcus,  think it’s because it’s more of a short run kit that makes it more difficult. Simple things like the spar arrangement, there’s no method provided to accurately datum the spars so you end up with level wings. You have to secure them using your own means to the bomb bay floor. It is a Labour of love as bomber command is so poorly covered in this scale and the real aircraft even less so.

2 hours ago, At Sea said:

Stunning.  The attention to detail even the de-icer jets in front of the windows are there!

My Grandfather was Nav on 433 Squadron Halifax B.III at Skipton-on-Swale.

A fine tribute.

Wow, did he survive the war?  My grandfather was in the navy but struggling to find out what ship he was on,  can’t remember from speaking to him when I was a nipper

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Puts mine to shame. Outstanding result from an absolute swine of a kit.

You did a great job on yours, agree, there’s easier kits out there, sadly not 1/48 Halifax’s though :(

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Beautiful Job Neil - well worth the hard work you have put in. The finish, weathering and overall impression are very convincing.

I know what you mean by being sick of the sight of though - I'm often like that with my builds - after spending so much time looking at something and working on it. Pack it away safely and in a couple of months you will love it when you take it out again!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, yes they always look better once you’ve not seen them for a while!

11 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

Fabulous build - a real masterful result. I am so glad I gave you the model as I knew you would do it justice something which I would never achieve. How about an FM Hampen - I have one in my garage if you want it?

What is next?

Best,

Thanks again Colin, despite the fight, I have enjoyed it. That Hampden isn’t in your garage, it’s in mine! You gave it to me with the Halifax. I’ve looked at it a few times and it needs more work than the Halifax so I need to consult with my uncle @general melchett as he’s further along the line cutting his up!  A few OOB, quite fancy a B24 but might crack on with the Hampden in the background as a form of perverted pleasure!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, crobinsonh said:

What is next?

Best,

I was tempted by your Hampden when I bought your other Halifax, however I think I have enough to do with the Blackjack. I bought the stencil sheet - it looks like an ant colony. Anyway, I think one FM kit is enough for anyone's lifetime.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks Marcus,  think it’s because it’s more of a short run kit that makes it more difficult. Simple things like the spar arrangement, there’s no method provided to accurately datum the spars so you end up with level wings. You have to secure them using your own means to the bomb bay floor. It is a Labour of love as bomber command is so poorly covered in this scale and the real aircraft even less so.

Wow, did he survive the war?  My grandfather was in the navy but struggling to find out what ship he was on,  can’t remember from speaking to him when I was a nipper

You did a great job on yours, agree, there’s easier kits out there, sadly not 1/48 Halifax’s though :(

Thanks Malcolm, yes they always look better once you’ve not seen them for a while!

Thanks again Colin, despite the fight, I have enjoyed it. That Hampden isn’t in your garage, it’s in mine! You gave it to me with the Halifax. I’ve looked at it a few times and it needs more work than the Halifax so I need to consult with my uncle @general melchett as he’s further along the line cutting his up!  A few OOB, quite fancy a B24 but might crack on with the Hampden in the background as a form of perverted pleasure!

So I did! Must have something else more painful for you!

• Haha 1

Really good result there, Neil. Having this kit in my stash and stalled in the very early stages of the build, I know what a battle this kit put up. 

Love the weathering too - beautifully subtle and in-scale with not a preshaded panel line in sight - wonderful!

Tom

• Like 1

Simply amazing build Neil, always like seeing your bomber command builds and this is no exception, well worth the blood, sweat and tears that you have put into it and a wonderful tribute to the under recognised heroes of bomber command.

I am assuming you have a whole separate house to display all these builds :) Like the sounds of seeing what you do with the B24!

• Like 1

'Let it fly..'? If I read you right I can only commiserate. I once threw an almost finished 1/72 Lancaster against a nearby wall. It had fought me all the way, and to be honest I could have saved it. But what a satisfying and cathartic experience! 

I'm really glad you saw this one through to the end though, as it's an absolute masterpiece.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Wow, did he survive the war?  My grandfather was in the navy but struggling to find out what ship he was on,  can’t remember from speaking to him when I was a nipper.

My Grandfather did indeed survive, he went on to manage a Tea Plantation in Ceylon for Nestle, retired to Taunton in Somerset and passed in 1991.  A life well lived.

• Like 1

Lovely job Neil, knew you'd do it justice. It'll look a treat parked on the table alongside the Stirling By the way, you'll be pleased to know we've now finished the 48th Hercules XVI engines and working on the cowlings..of course, in time honoured fashion, we waited for you to finish your Halibag first...

Excellent rivet and weathering detail.

so I need to consult with my uncle general melchett as he’s further along the line cutting his up!

Of course, anytime....I really must get the Hampden finished, (if I can remember where I put it!) but at the moment, as you know, there's something rather big and delta-shaped beckoning, courtesy of Alan and Colin (naturally)...

• Haha 1

Hi Neil,

Just awesome as always! What a fantastic tribute to the crew, I'm so glad they all survived the war but sad they're no longer with us. Imagine if they could see your model!

What sets your builds apart, for me, is the paint finish, ultra realistic weathering and interior detailing. I love the aerials they are the most 'in scale' I think I have ever seen!

But please rotate that starboard tyre it's really bugging me!!:)

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Wow it looks superb Neil,.... top class modelling of the first order. I love the faded look too. You have well and truly tamed this beast!

Well done mate,

Tony

• Like 1

Beautiful work and even better with the back story to add some feeling to the finished build.

Really wish that one of these would come out in this scale for us mere mortals to have a go at.

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Really good result there, Neil. Having this kit in my stash and stalled in the very early stages of the build, I know what a battle this kit put up. 

Love the weathering too - beautifully subtle and in-scale with not a preshaded panel line in sight - wonderful!

Tom

Thanks Tom, something I didn't mention in the build is that apart from the post paint weathering, I apply the mat varnish unevenly with more focus on the panel lines, that way, when the light catches it, there's another dimension of weathering as well as any colour variations but it's hard to show this in photo's

4 hours ago, stoohoo said:

Simply amazing build Neil, always like seeing your bomber command builds and this is no exception, well worth the blood, sweat and tears that you have put into it and a wonderful tribute to the under recognised heroes of bomber command.

I am assuming you have a whole separate house to display all these builds :) Like the sounds of seeing what you do with the B24!

I have a whole house to display them but I wouldn't be welcome if I did 😂 In fairness, the missus is fine with a few, I have a few in the living room cabinet, although she's not as understanding as @tonyot missus, I can only assume Tony has something special that keeps her happy 😂😂

4 hours ago, IanC said:

'Let it fly..'? If I read you right I can only commiserate. I once threw an almost finished 1/72 Lancaster against a nearby wall. It had fought me all the way, and to be honest I could have saved it. But what a satisfying and cathartic experience! 

I'm really glad you saw this one through to the end though, as it's an absolute masterpiece.

Modelling can be a love hate relationship with a bench of plastic, we are weird folk sometimes! In fact, I think there's only the scratch building, putting the decals on and the weathering I like, maybe I'm in the wrong hobby 😂

3 hours ago, At Sea said:

My Grandfather did indeed survive, he went on to manage a Tea Plantation in Ceylon for Nestle, retired to Taunton in Somerset and passed in 1991.  A life well lived.

That's great to here, a most prosperous life following too :)

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Lovely job Neil, knew you'd do it justice. It'll look a treat parked on the table alongside the Stirling By the way, you'll be pleased to know we've now finished the 48th Hercules XVI engines and working on the cowlings..of course, in time honoured fashion, we waited for you to finish your Halibag first...

Excellent rivet and weathering detail.

Of course, anytime....I really must get the Hampden finished, (if I can remember where I put it!) but at the moment, as you know, there's something rather big and delta-shaped beckoning, courtesy of Alan and Colin (naturally)...

Hello ol chap, I reckon you've had them engines done for ages but just thought you'd watch me sweat for shear pleasure! There could be a lot of big triangles at Telford this year 🤨

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

Just awesome as always! What a fantastic tribute to the crew, I'm so glad they all survived the war but sad they're no longer with us. Imagine if they could see your model!

What sets your builds apart, for me, is the paint finish, ultra realistic weathering and interior detailing. I love the aerials they are the most 'in scale' I think I have ever seen!

But please rotate that starboard tyre it's really bugging me!!:)

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, I try to weather as I see it, The aerials are the stretch stuff that comes on a little metal reel which is rather useless info but I can't remember where I got it but they had a stall at Telford!

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Wow it looks superb Neil,.... top class modelling of the first order. I love the faded look too. You have well and truly tamed this beast!

Well done mate,

Tony

Thanks mate, and thanks again for all your help in research :)

41 minutes ago, Peter W said:

Beautiful work and even better with the back story to add some feeling to the finished build.

Really wish that one of these would come out in this scale for us mere mortals to have a go at.

Pete

I wish too. If there was a main stream kit, I'd love to do a Merlin version too

35 minutes ago, stevfire2 said:

Magnificent! My dad was 78sqn, Breighton. He would have loved this.

Thanks, it's great to hear of people who have been personally touched in some way by these forgotten aircraft

I've just updated the post with some nostalgia thanks to @GimmeAnF kindly sharing some more info with me :)

• Like 1